Chapala.com Webboard

Day of the Dead

liquipure

RV...according to the GR, Cinco de Mayo is no longer the go-to street (it was when we lived here 2008-2012).  Maybe there are still altars on 5 de Mayo, but the GR did not mention them.  Anyone know???

Link to GR: http://theguadalajarareporter.net/index.php/expat-living/expat-living/lake-chapala/community-news/50848-lakeside-lives-it-up-for-day-of-the-dead

For CHAPALA altars:

Festival activities culminate Thursday, November 2 with the multifaceted Dia de Muertos exhibition set up on Avenida Madero, from the Hidalgo intersection to the waterfront. It will include dozens of memorial altars dedicated to human rights activists displayed on both sides of the street, model tombstones set up outside the San Francisco Church on the site of Chapala’s first graveyard, and a seasonal gastronomy fair, open for public viewing 4 to 10 p.m.

For AJIJC altars:

Preparations for Ajijic’s November 2 night time festivities begin at 10 a.m. with the elaboration of tinted sawdust carpets along Calle Parroquia and the installation of memorial altars and catrina (skeleton) figures at the plaza.

Also a parade at 7PM from Seis Esquinas, per  Ajijic news:

dia de los Muertos Parade tonight
Date: Thu, Nov 2, 2017
dia de los Muertos Parade tonight 

7pm

Leaving from seis esquinas, 6 corners where Hidalgo and Ocampo meet in Ajijic

As a devout Fiesta Head, I regret informing you that the 5 de Mayo 3-block party has faded greatly in the last few years due to the newer government sponsored displays and celebrations on the Malecon.  Here are my fotos/videos from 2015 at the Malecon and later at the 5 de Mayo block party which was darkly lit because of being so much smaller.than in past years.  It's great to see all the young people keeping the traditions alive!   I have great footage from back then but it is not all online at this time, sorry.

Yes, they still set up some altars up along Cinco de Mayo, but each year it seems to be less.  Now the majority of them are being erected in front of the San Francisco Church (the big church.)  I guess they figured there is more room for large crowds to move about and with more available parking nearby.  And for the catrinas, I thought it was awesome that year, which I think it was like two years ago, that they set them all up along the Chapala malecón.  Since then, most of the catrinas have been set up around the Municipal Palace area on that wide newly paved margin space (or whatever its called :unsure:) between the two lanes of traffic on the avenue.

Archived