Chapala.com Webboard

Butter of course

ericurmudgeon

I still see Marlowe's mmmmmarvelous butter in Superlake. The New Zealand butter "Anchor" is long gone... sniff, sniff. The Danish butter "Lurpak" is available in Walmart and Superlake.

These three butters are the ones that tickle my tastebuds. You will hear from others shortly, I'm sure.

Just now, More Liana said:

I'll ride in as usual, on my Costco Kirkland brand butter horse!  Made by Tillamook Dairies, excellent, high quality.  

Question about the Costco brand.  Have you checked the label to see if it contains soy?  If not, we will get some next time we go.

9 hours ago, Ferret said:

How I hate that "natural flavourings" label. Why oh why can't they just SAY what they are. It's a sneaky way of saying there's something in there that they don't really want you to know about.

Same problem here.  What's the big secret? Not that I'm suggesting that it's in there, but Hemlock is a natural flavor.

Just now, gringal said:

Same problem here.  What's the big secret? Not that I'm saying it's in there, but Hemlock is a natural flavor.

Companies will claim proprietary info, not wanting to disclose brand secrets. They just don't want the public to know. Any competitor can have a stick of butter analyzed by their own lab to determine exactly what is in it.  

For unsalted butter check out the truck that comes from Mazamitla weekly--Thursday morning 10-ish next to Susanna's Beauty shop on Guad. Vict. and later near the Pemex on Aldama in Ajijic

For salted butter the Belgians who sell at the Thursday Market (10-12:30) at "Jasmine's Classic India" on the Ajijic plaza and Tuesdays and Fridays at the La Huerta Market

12 hours ago, Zeb said:

Question about the Costco brand.  Have you checked the label to see if it contains soy?  If not, we will get some next time we go.

No soy.  And if you're buying your butter from a standard store, Kirkland is the best you can get. 

European cultured butter is a different category entirely.  

Costco Butter Ingredients 1.jpg

Costco Butter Box 1.jpg

Soy is certainly not a typical ingredient in butter, so I'm not sure why that question would ever come up.  It's like asking if there is caffeine in 7Up....

You can also get President butter, product of France, salted or not, at Walmart, el Torito, usually SuperLake. Good butter.

On 10/29/2017 at 9:39 PM, Ferret said:

How I hate that "natural flavourings" label. Why oh why can't they just SAY what they are. It's a sneaky way of saying there's something in there that they don't really want you to know about.

Fortunately, the "natural flavorings" in butter are not a proprietary trade secret:   It's lactic acid.

Butter manufacturers add lactic acid as a preservative ... to lower the pH to inhibit spoilage & pathogens.

Foreign butters like Lurpak et al likely have lactic acid added to make them last during the shipping and prolonged storage, while local products likely do not have any added lactic acid.

On 10/30/2017 at 9:39 AM, ned small said:

Joachin[sp?] in the Chapala mercado sells European style cultured butter made by someone in Mazamitla any size that you want. It's the Cadillac And Kirkland is the cheapest Chev.

I am not sure whom that is.  I just bought some butter inside the mercado in Chapala from the vendor all the way to the right after you walk into the main area.  I have never purchased butter there before.  He used to have a large produce business there with his brother.  It was closed.  He has now re-opened and selling more limited items, one of which is home made butter.   Is this the vendor?

28 minutes ago, Zeb said:

I am not sure whom that is.  I just bought some butter inside the mercado in Chapala from the vendor all the way to the right after you walk into the main area.  I have never purchased butter there before.  He used to have a large produce business there with his brother.  It was closed.  He has now re-opened and selling more limited items, one of which is home made butter.   Is this the vendor?

Yes

41 minutes ago, Floradude said:

For me unsalted butter is tasteless.  Finding butter with salt is always a problem.  Right now Superlake only has it in the logs/rolls from France, I believe.   Over tmany years I had hoped that Costco would carry it but that not to be.

Walmart has the salted Zurpak and you can also get salter homemade butter at the Monday, Tuesday and Friday markets.

For those of you missing NOB salted butter...here is how to get it. IF you fly and visit NOB, buy as much as you want. Put it in a freezer until the day you fly home. Wrap it in bubble wrap, tape it. Stick it in between your clothes. It will still be cold when you get home. Just put it in the freezer when you get home. I bring between 4-6 pounds every time I go to see my daughter in Seattle. Have had Land O’Lakes and Tillamook butter for the 8 years I have lived here. 

Archived