Chapala.com Webboard

Instant Pot

AngusMactavish

Williams Sonoma has a 9 function, 15 program for $140. With tax and peso at 19, that is $2879p, hardly worth lugging down from NOB, unless you were in a car and would have the room. 

CG, wouldn't it be easier to import a few Canadian chickens and feed them what they get fed in Canada (idk... Purina Chicken Chow?) and drink the same kind of water with the same mineral content as Canada...All so you can produce the same kind of hard shelled Canadian Chicken Eggs? Because the shell IS definitely different, I just don't know why.

I do the eggs the same way as Pappy and you and it drove me mmmmaaaaaddddd. I have had more success, after dumping the boiling water and semi cooling with purified cold water, by putting the eggs back in the cooled pot and covering them with cold water and putting them back in the fridge for a few hours. It may work for you too.

But I still want Santa to bring me an Instant Pot.

Comparing apples to oranges. That link shows what you bought and below it shows 4 more, the Oster is more like what the OP wanted, and it is $2599, pretty much in line with the one I mentioned seeing at the Kitchen Store in Galerias.

1 minute ago, tomgates said:

Comparing apples to oranges. That link shows what you bought and below it shows 4 more, the Oster is more like what the OP wanted, and it is $2599, pretty much in line with the one I mentioned seeing at the Kitchen Store in Galerias.

What link? My link shows a Philips for $1266.21 with free shipping. 

On 11/4/2017 at 4:55 AM, sunnyvmx said:

I only have an electric rice/veggie steamer in which I hard boil eggs.  I do a dozen and they come out perfect and peel easy every time.  I have a friend who does hers in a pressure cooker with the same results.

Still would like to know how you do this...

36 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Still would like to know how you do this...

I think the more important question is what brand of eggs is she using and whether they are brown eggs or white eggs. It does make a difference.

I just don't know, after trying all these different methods (now I just go to Mom's restaurant and get egg salad to go...!). But my earlier research shows there is no difference in egg shell strength between brown, red or white. I have read that the younger the chicken, the harder the shell.

But I still want to know the procedure for steamer eggs, because if it works as she says it does, then brand and colour be damned.

EDIT: Of course I should have just Googled. All kinds of info.

Sorry, CG.  There is much written on it on the web.  This method takes all the guess work out and makes no difference as to the age of the egg or hardness of shell.  I make pickled eggs and they need to peel perfectly.  Too many times I've had egg salad instead before finding out about this method.  Put water in bottom of steamer, place eggs in basket and turn it on.  I adjust the time according to whether the eggs are room temperature or cold.  Also each steamer may be a little different.  I do 30 min. for cold eggs and less for warm eggs.  Eggs then are rinsed in cold water and go into an ice water bath while I peel them.  Perfect eggs every time.  Remember:  eggs are porous.  Dirty eggs may be kept at room temperature, but if washed they must be refrigerated and should be washed before using.

Thanks. I tried it yesterday with various instructions on the Web that said 15 minutes was good. Wrong. I will try 30 minutes, because I ended up with soft-boiled eggs. Couldn't peel the shells, though, even though the whites were cooked. They just shredded and pulled the whites along with the shell. Perhaps the 30 minutes will do the trick... Again, thanks.

I also found that times varied according to steamer.  I believe I use 25 for room temperature and 30 for cold.  I also use ice water bath and crack all over and roll unless they go in the fridge before use,

My 2 cents worth for removing the shell of hard boiled eggs: after eggs are boiled, rinse the eggs in tap water to cool them enough to hold in your hand, crack the shell and insert a tablespoon (concave side next to the egg) and slide the spoon inside the shell. Works perfectly for me every time.

Archived