Chapala.com Webboard

Instant Pot

AngusMactavish

I had been reading that a new type of cooking appliance was the rave of the hipsters. I took a flyer and ordered one from Amazon US. It is truly the best product, perfect for many reasons. I suggest you investigate and be ready to be amazed.

History

The Instant Pot® Company was founded in 2009 by a team of Canadian technology veterans who set out to explore the food preparation category based on their own personal life experiences.  Their objective was to find solutions that would enable busy families and professionals to prepare quality food in less time, promoting better eating and reducing the consumption of fast food.

What is an Instant Pot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alv9gMorz8A

We bought one from Amazon U.S. and use it about 4 times a week.  I just made fabulous soup in it today and we often make our own Greek yogurt now.  The internet is full of Instant Pot recipes and Facebook pages of people sharing questions and recipes.  The greatest thing about it is that once you have chopped your ingredients, and dropped them in and fired it up, you can walk away! No stirring, no hovering over it to be sure nothing burns, just wait for the timer signal to go off when it has done its absolutely silent work, and then eat.  Only one pot to clean up afterwards. It replaces your slow cooker, your rice cooker, your soup pot, etc,. Its an electric pressure cooker and everything happens in a very short period of time.   I can highly recommend it!

15 hours ago, johanson said:

Not knowing how to cook and coming from the state of WA where pot is legal to smoke, I was dumb enough to get confused about the title of this subject Yes I know, that's pretty dumb. But that's me :)

I was wondering if it came in dried form and expanded upon being placed in water.  Me, too.:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, shortstop said:

Any idea of prices on the ones for sale at Galerias Mall kitchen store?  I can get the mini I want in the US for about $70.  Wondering if it is worth it to lug it back.  Thanks for any info.

If Amazon in Mexico charges this much, imagine what a specialty kitchen shop will charge. There will likely be a good special on them for Black Friday coming up. https://www.amazon.com.mx/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?__mk_es_MX=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=instant+pot

if you don't need the pressure cooker part, CostCo in Guad has a similar item that I have been using for several years. Makes perfect rice (never burns) with settings for white, brown, and "quick", but is also a great slow-cooker, and veggie steamer. Non-stick internal removable pot. http://www.frugalhotspot.com/2017/07/aroma-rice-cooker/

About $600p.

On 11/3/2017 at 10:48 AM, AngusMactavish said:

That part is the heart of the Instant Pot's magic.

Probably is, but I started with a steamer/ricer/crocker, which was available here when the Instant was not, and am now tempted to move up. Just wanted to let others know.

I only have an electric rice/veggie steamer in which I hard boil eggs.  I do a dozen and they come out perfect and peel easy every time.  I have a friend who does hers in a pressure cooker with the same results.

I got one last year too on Amazon Prime Day and brought it back in my luggage from the States. I KNOW TSA opened that bag to inspect LOL. It does take up a bit of room, but you can put stuff inside it too in your luggage. Didn't have any problems at Houston airport or here, but I did get a green light. 

Oh, and I love it. I'm been cooking chicken breasts in stock and 20 minutes later on slow release i have yummy moist chicken for salads. So easy. Great invention. 

5 hours ago, sunnyvmx said:

I only have an electric rice/veggie steamer in which I hard boil eggs.  I do a dozen and they come out perfect and peel easy every time.  I have a friend who does hers in a pressure cooker with the same results.

This is something I need to know how to do... because I have NEVER been able to easily peel hard-boiled eggs here. Doesn't matter whether they are fresh, old, warm, cold, cooked for an exact number of minutes with or without specific amounts of vinegar, salt, baking powder, started in cold or warm water, or with a pin prick in the large end. The shells still shatter and it takes five minutes an egg to peel the gosh-darned things.

Here's a trick that works MOST of the time for me: Try to use fresh eggs, they always seem to peel easier. Cool them whatever way you prefer. When cool or cold, tap the shell lightly all over, including both ends. You want to see cracks all over the shell. Place it on a hard surface and gently roll it back and forth with your palm. You are loosening the shell. Pick it up and it will quite often almost peel itself. Every once in a while it will be like the old days. Why? I have no idea but this sure makes peeling a bunch of hard boiled eggs faster for me.

YMMV

15 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

I use Pappy's method and then soak them in cold water for about an hour before peeling. The water gets between the membrane and the egg and usually separates much easier. I peel them under water or with cold water running on them as I peel them. That helps, also.

Yes Al, I forgot to mention peeling under cold running water. That also gets the shells off my fingers, which is not a fun feeling for me. Just a wimp I guess. :lol:  I actually take them out of the Instant Pot, place them in a bowl with water and top that off with ice cubes and place them in the refri. When the cubes have melted they are usually ready for butchering, LOL.

Archived