Chapala.com Webboard

How do I figure out if it is UFO interference or...

...a modem gone bad, or Telmex being down without me being able to speak Spanish? 

My internet has been down about an hour. NOB I would call my service provider to see if there was an outage. Does Telcel have customer service in English as an option?

Or, I would use the Comcast app to check and to restart my modem from my cell phone if there was no outage message. Again - is that an option here?

I turned my modem off and back on but I’m getting a “cable not connected” message. I don’t trust the message though as my computer has established a pattern of lying before (there is no Nigerian prince and it can’t make my penis bigger as I don’t have one.) 

What is the quickest and easiest way to figure out which donkey to kick to get on line again?

You have done the quick and easy way. As a computer tech, very familiar with TelMex, I cannot begin to type in all the things you can try. Too long, too confusing, too many possibilities. You can call 01-800-123-2222, and when a live person finally comes on, ask for "English, please".

"Cable not connected" means your computer may not be connected to your modem, or it may be but something is making it think it is not. That suggests the problem is not with TelMex. We go on from there.

3 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

You have done the quick and easy way. As a computer tech, very familiar with TelMex, I cannot begin to type in all the things you can try. Too long, too confusing, too many possibilities. Two, You can call 01-800-123-2222, and when a live person finally comes on, ask for "English, please".

"Cable not connected" means your computer may not be connected to your modem, or it may be but something is making it think it is not. That suggests the problem is not with TelMex. We go on from there.

Thanks!  After reading horror stories from people whose modem has failed, I was hoping it was an outage. The modem is only three months old. 

I am currently waiting for Telmex’s Facebook message response team to get back to me. They told me they would check but that was 30 minutes ago. 

It is so frustrating to go from being the one who always had tech solutions to everyone else’s problem to feeling totally helpless. Guess I need a good motivator to hit the Spanish books  

I’m guessing I will be at Telmex office in the morning. Good thing I got a big cell phone data package. Thanks again.

I wouldn't bother with the TelMex office in Ajijic. Not only do they know nothing useful, they are averse to helping, and will tell you to call Mexico City. A customer took her modem in yesterday and was informed, as usual, nothing can be done without talking to Mexico City. But from her description to me over the phone, it doesn't sound like a bad modem, so I am going to check it out as the next step.

Wait, TelMex has a Facebook team? Wow, wonders never cease. I will have to see about that. If they actually offer proper assistance, life could change for everyone. The future would open up to a whole new world. Why, nations could get along peacefully, prosperity would... nah, what was I thinking...

I got that message once and this is what happened.....my cat stepped on the keyboard, pushed a button and disconnected the WIfi.  Check `to see if your Wifi is lit up the right colorl....mine is white for on..

Guest English Rose
21 hours ago, TheBestSideOfTheWall said:

am currently waiting for Telmex’s Facebook message response team to get back to me. They told me they would check but that was 30 minutes ago.

You are a newbie. Waiting anywhere for anything for 30 min means you are in the fast lane. Sit back and chill and if you are going anywhere that you might have to wait, take a book. It takes awhile to get used to it but it is better for your peace of mind.;):)

Archived