Chapala.com Webboard

Canadian Banking

Alfa

Live and learn. today I called my bank (TD) to find out why they had not sent me a new credit card, Can't they said. You must be a  permanent resident of Canada to receive a credit card. New govt regulation, Am I alone in this?

Canada became a participant in CRS Common Reporting Standard effective July 1, 2017.  CRS is like FACTA, but worldwide.  I am not a CDN citizen so won't comment on the specifics though it seems to be similar to issues we Americans have faced when our banks and other financial companies find out we live outside the US with no permanent US address. 

I did find this link at TioCorp and maybe they can advise further.  There's no date on the Tiocorp info and it may be out of date.  Good luck. 

http://www.tiocorpinsurance.com/index.cfm/canadians-in-mexico/canadian-non-residency

2 hours ago, Alfa said:

Live and learn. today I called my bank (TD) to find out why they had not sent me a new credit card, Can't they said. You must be a  permanent resident of Canada to receive a credit card. New govt regulation, Am I alone in this?

Since you scared the heck out of me (our cards come due in November) I just  called Royal Bank in Canada, as was assured our cards have already been shipped. So... are you alone in this? No idea.  But RBC suggested they did not know any reason that would impede them sending cards to non-resident Canadians.

I see a person[bisbee] commenting again about our banks in Canada that knows nothing about them. I just got my new  Visa card renewal again from Scotiabank and my and my other Canadian friends who have our official addresses here in Mexico and none in Canada have no problems whatsoever ,me in my 9 years and my friends in their 11 years here. They just got theirs too.Same applies to debit cards TD person,do you have an account with TD in Canada?If so you shouldn't have a problem.

This happened to me quite a  few years ago when I did not receive by BMO credit card after it expired.  They said they could not renew because I was no longer a resident of Canada.  So I tried with CIBC and no problem.  I think I got my new one last year with no problem. 

Ours are always sent via iShop, stopping at Laredo and coming by courier from there.  Safer than Mx post office, and no customs hassle. Also solves problem with some US  web sites  who will not accept an order if your credit card does not have a US mailing address! (Yes, has happened to me.)

In the last 5 years, on my visits to Canada, I've been trying twice to get a Visa card from TD, but they always told me that I had to have a Canadian address.

Last year, I finally gave in and gave the address of a relative--which is wrong because I'm not a resident. Then, at the same time, they have changed my address in my online profile. I cannot change it because we don't have the same type of postal code in Mexico. In the meantime, my relative sold the house, and the Visa junk does not follow.

When I called my branch, as I did not realize that my address had been changed, they did not want to deal with me because they could not identify me. I've been a client in that bank for 45 years. Their problem is that THEY change their staff every year and they don't know their customers AND THEY DON'T CARE.

I can't wait to visit Canada in the summer. As I can see on this forum, Royal Bank seems to be accommodating. What a nuisance as we have our pensions going in, but I've had it with them.

22 minutes ago, nana said:

In the last 5 years, on my visits to Canada, I've been trying twice to get a Visa card from TD, but they always told me that I had to have a Canadian address.

Last year, I finally gave in and gave the address of a relative--which is wrong because I'm not a resident. Then, at the same time, they have changed my address in my online profile. I cannot change it because we don't have the same type of postal code in Mexico. In the meantime, my relative sold the house, and the Visa junk does not follow.

When I called my branch, as I did not realize that my address had been changed, they did not want to deal with me because they could not identify me. I've been a client in that bank for 45 years. Their problem is that THEY change their staff every year and they don't know their customers AND THEY DON'T CARE.

I can't wait to visit Canada in the summer. As I can see on this forum, Royal Bank seems to be accommodating. What a nuisance as we have our pensions going in, but I've had it with them.

For what it's worth Scotia is the only Canadian bank with a physical presence in Mexico by owning Scotiabank here which is a separate entity. They have ATM's all over mexico. They even have a call center in Mexico City which in rotation answers when you call the Canada help # on the back of your cards.

On 10/25/2017 at 6:12 PM, Bisbee Gal said:

Canada became a participant in CRS Common Reporting Standard effective July 1, 2017.  CRS is like FACTA, but worldwide.  I am not a CDN citizen so won't comment on the specifics though it seems to be similar to issues we Americans have faced when our banks and other financial companies find out we live outside the US with no permanent US address. 

I did find this link at TioCorp and maybe they can advise further.  There's no date on the Tiocorp info and it may be out of date.  Good luck. 

http://www.tiocorpinsurance.com/index.cfm/canadians-in-mexico/canadian-non-residency

"Canadians in Mexico" via Tiocorp was implemented by Reg Cyr. Reg retired earlier this year and I do not know if he is still maintaining the site. He has sold his house in Mirasol and I do not think he has been here since 2015.

10 hours ago, ned small said:

For what it's worth Scotia is the only Canadian bank with a physical presence in Mexico by owning Scotiabank here which is a separate entity. They have ATM's all over mexico. They even have a call center in Mexico City which in rotation answers when you call the Canada help # on the back of your cards.

I second Scotiabank as a good choice. If you make sure you have a senior's account, or keep a minimum balance (don't know what that is right now) you will get no service charges when using a Scotiabank ATM here in Mexico.

However, be aware that unless you actually open a Scotiabank account at a Mexican bank as well, just because it is all Scotiabank, you couldn't, for instance, get a new debit card at a Scotiabank here for your Canadian account if you lost yours. They are affiliated, but not set up that way.

2 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I second Scotiabank as a good choice. If you make sure you have a senior's account, or keep a minimum balance (don't know what that is right now) you will get no service charges when using a Scotiabank ATM here in Mexico.

However, be aware that unless you actually open a Scotiabank account at a Mexican bank as well, just because it is all Scotiabank, you couldn't, for instance, get a new debit card at a Scotiabank here for your Canadian account if you lost yours. They are affiliated, but not set up that way.

You don't need a minimum balance to get free ATM withdrawals or no service fees if you have a seniors account. 

Scotiabank Canada and Scotiabank Mexico are not affiliated.  If you go to a Scotiabank Mexico branch there is one in the Mega mall next to Costco and ask a question they will tell you they in no way affiliated... They just use the Scotia name..

They might own them but they have no business dealings with each other.. You cannot make any enquires about your account, debit or credit cards, and they cannot help you if you have any problems with any of your cards...I know that for a fact because I went there thinking they could help me easily transfer money from Scotia Canada to Scotia Mexico.  There a answer was "No we are a separate entity. 

Similar to HSBC. I have accounts with them in Canada and in Mexico but they are quite separate but I do not pay ATM fees. 

19 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

They might own them but they have no business dealings with each other.. You cannot make any enquires about your account, debit or credit cards, and they cannot help you if you have any problems with any of your cards...I know that for a fact because I went there thinking they could help me easily transfer money from Scotia Canada to Scotia Mexico.  There a answer was "No we are a separate entity. 

Regardless. You said you were told they were in way affiliated. Wrong, according to the facts, and of course according to clearly made statements by people like mudgirl who point out the Scotiabank ATMs all over the world are connected and charge no fees if you belong to the bank. I'd say that along with being 97% owned, that means they are more than just affiliated. 19312.pdf

After arguing with Scotia Bank Canada trying to make them understand I was always a Canadian citizen and held a passport as such even though I was a non-resident, they finally accepted me to open an account. But, other than my regular account, they do not allow me to make investments or get a visa card. I mentioned that I dealt with Scotia in Mexico  . . . the answer was they had nothing to do with Scotia Canada except the name.

Because I am a non-resident of Canada, they treat me as a foreigner (almost) but make an exemption because Immigration Canada allows me to hold a bank account for the purpose of pensions only, even if my pensions go in TD. Our branch in Scotia Canada had to call the head office every time I had a question. My branch in TD sent me directly to Visa office, which told me that they needed a Canadian address. It worked,  but I have a wrong address in my account now, which is not right. I have to fix it before Immigration finds out. I gave up my non-residence 10 years ago, and I am considered as such for Immigration.

If the other banks do otherwise, it's either because: (a) they don't know what a non-resident status requires them to do; or (b) you have given them an address in Canada; or (c) you are still a resident of Canada (official) even though you live out. 

We always have to know the facts when someone else tells you that it works for them.

If that was so simple?

Archived