Chapala.com Webboard

Mexico is number one

vetteforron

Moved to Mexico general as this is about Mexico rather than a local topic.

Warning:  I see the same kind of off topic personal attacks here as when this topic was posted a little over a week ago there will be some long time outs handed out.  Discuss the topic and not the poster.

39 minutes ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

Mexico may be the most corrupt nation in the world, but at least it does not claim to be the leader of the free world.

Concerning the article, it stated number one in Latin America, not the world. Also, it was based on a survey, not facts.

I believe that there are one or more countries in Africa that are viewed as most corrupt.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/24/these-are-the-worlds-most-corrupt-countries.html

Heck, we're not even in the bottom 10 by the measure used by this source.

However, in this source it is a different story, we're ranked #5.  Looking at the methodology though the first reference is probably the more vigorous and accurate.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/articles/10-most-corrupt-countries-ranked-by-perception

Below are the 10 countries perceived to be the most corrupt, according to data from the 2017 Best Countries rankings.

Country Name Corrupt Rank Best Countries Overall Rank
Nigeria 1 77
Iran 2 79
Pakistan 3 74
Colombia 4 62
Mexico 5 33
Ghana 6 68
Angola 7 75
Kenya 8 61
Brazil 9 28
Russia 10

I keep seeing reports and surveys indicating that a number of observers expect corruption to be the #1 political issue in Mexico in the next election and that could well lead to a big political change at least at the national level.  Things could get very interesting here next year.  That 74 percent figure cited earlier is cause for optimism, I'm thinking the voters here are ready to really shake things up.  

I'm not prepared to get into specific political discussions as you know that is off limits on this board.  It suffices to note that the current poling suggests there might be a big backlash brewing against the two main parties.  That is what I was referring to.

It's a long time until the election and the situation is very fluid as far as exactly who will be running.

Archived