Chapala.com Webboard

Golf Carting in Ajijic/San Antonio

SYSY

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this says it all:  "Why should we serve as a target for the self-righteous, self-centered and self-serving car population?  Seems like it should be the other way around…"...from our verbose expat.  He/she needs to take this to the gub'mint, not to the web alone,  and explain why car owners should pay fees for using the roads and be insured as well, whereas golf cart owners should not.  Amen. 

Shall we return to a toilet paper thread or can we come up with something interesting, like garbage pickup or the lack thereof :rolleyes:?

37 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

If he writes the infraction up and you give him enough, he might and pocket the excess.

I don't know if you say these things to get a reaction, or you just live in a different world.

It's easy to be self righteous when yout sitting at home in Ajijic.. But would they be so righteous if they were in Monteray or SLP on their way home NOB any get a ticket for some infraction for which the police officer wants to keep your drives license or take your  plates until you pay the fine....

And before anyone says "They can't do that". Bull S£€%. iOver the last 10 years I've met people who have had it done to them...  The cops around SLP were especially bad for that kind of stuff...

10 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

It's easy to be self righteous when yout sitting at home in Ajijic.. But would they be so righteous if they were in Monteray or SLP on their way home NOB any get a ticket for some infraction for which the police officer wants to keep your drives license or take your  plates until you pay the fine....

And before anyone says "They can't do that". Bull S£€%. iOver the last 10 years I've met people who have had it done to them...  The cops around SLP were especially bad for that kind of stuff...

You bet.  One of their favorite places to play cop bandit was on that south SLP bypass cuota.  They stuck this ridiculous speed limit on the last section and then started nailing people as they came off the overpass over the railroad tracks not realizing what was going on.  I know a number of people who got ripped off there.  It was the same deal, either you "let" them pay the ticket for them or else. 

Luckily I was warned by one of the victims and knew to really back it down after the toll booth and all the way down to 60kph coming over that bridge.  They were there running their little racket almost every trip we made through there and we have made over 20 trips on this route now.  Fortunately the new bypass allows us to go a different way now.  

Another favorite place for them after the extended 101 cuota was opened is that overpass by the cement plant on the short part of Ruta 70 connecting the new road with Ruta 57 north of SLP.  Same racket, post a silly speed limit and shake people down.

Look, there's a good reason for the results of that corruption study I posted about recently and the same story carried on the front page of the Guadalajara Reporter.  And there's a very good reason why Mexicans don't trust or cooperate with the cops here.  For the most part they are crooked and corrupt.  That is the real world here and you play the game or else.

Driving here with NOB plates paints a target on your back.  That's also the real world.  If I had it to do all over I would have gotten rid of the NOB plated car a lot sooner.  The hassles pretty much stopped after we got a car with Mexican plates.

Traffic "enforcement" is a different kind of racket NOB, mainly being about revenue raising for local governments.  It is also a great deal more expensive than the local variety.  That's the good news.  Our cops are still pretty cheap.  :)

Giving a cop $$$ to pay a fine is far more honest on both parties part than the ameriKKKan way. A cop will give a ticket even if you are not guilty just to get 8 hours play for traffic court day. Then they will give a ticket or summons in order to go to court and get a days pay for other days. Yea, much more honest. Show up at court, get 8 hours pay.

Gosh, BilI_d, I must have lived in the wrong or this case good area of the states.  Never have I heard of anything occurring like what your talking about where I used to live in the states, the greater Seattle area.

5 hours ago, bill_d said:

Giving a cop $$$ to pay a fine is far more honest on both parties part than the ameriKKKan way. A cop will give a ticket even if you are not guilty just to get 8 hours play for traffic court day. Then they will give a ticket or summons in order to go to court and get a days pay for other days. Yea, much more honest. Show up at court, get 8 hours pay.

Not true.  The only time officers are paid for court time is if those hours are outside his/her normal shift.  Lengthy court cases usually result in a change in shift so that a midnight shift officer would be switched to days for the duration of the trial.  When officers appear in court outside their normal shift they are paid for that time, or a minimum of 2 hours, whichever is less.  Localities would go broke if they paid 8 hours for every cop who went to court for an hour or two to testify on speeding tickets.  I worked 30+ years in local government including with police officers on court cases.  

In my locality, traffic court was set aside daily as the first section of the day, starting at 9AM and was often finished in 20 minutes, but always over by 10AM when circuit cases started.  Few people show up to traffic court, most pay tickets by mail.  Once the ticket is paid, the police officer is no longer required to appear in court.  

• 3 weeks later...

I am well aware this would not happen in Seattle, but for you to extend your experience to a claim that what I say is not true, is extremely......... I suggest you review a dozen police contracts from the northeast. It is true many have reduced pay to a MINIMUM of four hours for court, but there are ways to get more than four. 

• 2 months later...

NEW POST! And good news for all cart lovers!

Due to the new municipal transit being in charge, the state transitos can NO LONGER DO ANYTHING in the Ajijic area. I had one stop me the other day - he had been hunting me all day in fact, but I had missed him - and I told him to STEP OFF - no jurisdiction. He did!

So, they are still out to get a few unwary Gringos but they can do nothing - read the GDL Reporter past issues for more information on why...

The municipal transitos will are not allowed to give out tickets yet, so enjoy the freedom while it lasts!

Stay safe out there and have fun!

1 hour ago, SYSY said:

NEW POST! And good news for all cart lovers!

Due to the new municipal transit being in charge, the state transitos can NO LONGER DO ANYTHING in the Ajijic area. I had one stop me the other day - he had been hunting me all day in fact, but I had missed him - and I told him to STEP OFF - no jurisdiction. He did!

So, they are still out to get a few unwary Gringos but they can do nothing - read the GDL Reporter past issues for more information on why...

The municipal transitos will are not allowed to give out tickets yet, so enjoy the freedom while it lasts!

Stay safe out there and have fun!

What a sad at attitude you have to celebrate committing an offence.

So you condone going through a red light, speeding, going the wrong way on the lateral ...? Sad Sad Sad!!!!!!!

Just my opinion but I think the Transitos have better things to do than spend all day hunting a cart driving gringo...

6 minutes ago, TelsZ4 said:

What a sad at attitude you have to celebrate committing an offence.

So you condone going through a red light, speeding, going the wrong way on the lateral ...? Sad Sad Sad!!!!!!!

Just my opinion but I think the Transitos have better things to do than spend all day hunting a cart driving gringo...

I didn't hear TelsZ4 condoning those offenses.  It's about being able to drive around in a golf cart without getting ticketed.

My question is:  Why does anyone want to drive around in a golf cart?  There's no protection for your body if you're hit, to start with.  This town isn't like a gated retirement community where everybody drives around in one.  We have some car drivers from hell here who can't see well, hear well and have less common sense than they should. 

My lawyer thinks this is pretty funny - and that it will work. Tell the crooked, impoverished cop that my lawyer advises not to pay "mordida" - but you hard working men should be rewarded with a "comida" - 200 pesos, and everyone is happy. A lot less money than if you are obstinate. Buy a cop and his friend a taco - no big deal.

Someone said they thought that they heard that one transito might have whispered to another in, Huichol, that this winter was so cold that he was going to buy an ice pick and get even with those devils that brought the cold from the chipichipi north.

2 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

My lawyer thinks this is pretty funny - and that it will work. Tell the crooked, impoverished cop that my lawyer advises not to pay "mordida" - but you hard working men should be rewarded with a "comida" - 200 pesos, and everyone is happy. A lot less money than if you are obstinate. Buy a cop and his friend a taco - no big deal.

Buying them lunch works every time....

Archived