Chapala.com Webboard

Where to find good prime rib?

cookj5

41 minutes ago, El Saltos said:

I think Arileo does it weekly too.

Fridays.   Big sign out front for that.  I tried it once, but there was a whole lot of fat and a tiny morsel of beef in the middle.  Not my fave. What's really good there is the salmon with pesto.  Yum.

If I worried much about what kind of junk was in the salmon, which might well have an equal dose as the beef or chicken or whatever, I'd have few food choices at all. I am an avid label reader and try to avoid long lists of ingredients, but otherwise, I'll leave the worrying to others. The fatty beef I know for sure isn't healthy.  The salmon tastes great. Life is short.B)

The issue with farmed salmon isn't just the stuff they feed them that isn't exactly good for your health. The farmed stocks get diseases, break free of the nets and infect the wild salmon stocks. Google it if interested.

Classic British Columbia bumper sticker- Real Fish Don't Eat Pellets

11 hours ago, mudgirl said:

The issue with farmed salmon isn't just the stuff they feed them that isn't exactly good for your health. The farmed stocks get diseases, break free of the nets and infect the wild salmon stocks. Google it if interested.

Classic British Columbia bumper sticker- Real Fish Don't Eat Pellets

All farmed salmon isn't equal, but don't  you just love the food advice columns telling people to eat salmon for its health benefits while others are telling us how unhealthy it is because of how it's raised?  I have great memories of buying salmon at the docks on the CA coast where it was almost still wiggling, but those days are gone.

Most Salmon in the US is wild caught.  The responsible states such as CA, OR, and WA require farmed salmon to be labeled as such in the fish markets and grocery stores.  You're right about all farmed salmon not being equal.  However, all we get here is from Chile one of the more less equal.  It's trash and the growers have terrible reps.  Norway, on the other hand raises pretty good salmon, but it all goes to the European market.

Salmon people please start a new thread. Let's get back to prime rib. It has been awhile since I have had Bruno's and from what I recall, mixed reviews. Avocado Club does it on certain days. The one time we went, after making reservations for the PR, they only had 2 portions and they were burnt to a crisp, not exactly medium rare as requested. The best one is the one you make at home. Get the whole ribeye at Costco. Allow about an inch per person. Make a bed a rough cut onions, carrots and celery in a roast pan. Take the roast out of the refrigerator an hour in advance. Salt and pepper if you choose. Oven at 375. For ONE HOUR. Turn oven off and do not open the oven. Several hours later, turn oven back on to 375 for 30 MINUTES. Take out of oven and tent with foil and go about making gravy, etc. Will be perfect med rare throughout the cut save for the edges. 

I do a Filet Mignon a similar way but at 225 continuously and use a meat thermometer to check it. As you noted, save for the very outside, almost the whole filet will be med. rare and can be cooked a little more for those who prefer medium by slicing a portion off and heating carefully in a fry pan with some au jus. I buy a local filet from my butcher and there is no difference from Costco's, save the price!

22 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Salmon people please start a new thread. Let's get back to prime rib. It has been awhile since I have had Bruno's and from what I recall, mixed reviews. Avocado Club does it on certain days. The one time we went, after making reservations for the PR, they only had 2 portions and they were burnt to a crisp, not exactly medium rare as requested. The best one is the one you make at home. Get the whole ribeye at Costco. Allow about an inch per person. Make a bed a rough cut onions, carrots and celery in a roast pan. Take the roast out of the refrigerator an hour in advance. Salt and pepper if you choose. Oven at 375. For ONE HOUR. Turn oven off and do not open the oven. Several hours later, turn oven back on to 375 for 30 MINUTES. Take out of oven and tent with foil and go about making gravy, etc. Will be perfect med rare throughout the cut save for the edges. 

Stay on the OP's question. I ask using your admonition's logic.

On 10/23/2017 at 11:51 AM, cookj5 said:

I'm looking for a Lakeside restaurant that serves a good prime rib, hopefully a place with some ambiance. Anyone have any that you have liked?

Let me know

8 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

I do a Filet Mignon a similar way but at 225 continuously and use a meat thermometer to check it. As you noted, save for the very outside, almost the whole filet will be med. rare and can be cooked a little more for those who prefer medium by slicing a portion off and heating carefully in a fry pan with some au jus. I buy a local filet from my butcher and there is no difference from Costco's, save the price!

Let me know when it's ready and I will be there. HAHAHA

Sorry about getting into salmon there.

Now,  when a poster is asking for a nice restaurant that serves good prime rib, what's with people suggesting he start cooking?

He would probably be happy at Arileo's on Fridays.  I don't know any prime rib places other than Bruno's, which serves a fine meal, but not big on ambiance.

On 10/25/2017 at 4:46 AM, gringohombre said:

If it is Mexican beef product anywhere will more than likely not be very good. I have almost stopped ordering any type of steak here.

As in many things, that's a matter of opinion.  I prefer lean beef and have had some delicious Mexican beef steaks .  Matter of taste, I guess.

We at La Mision serve USDA Choice Prime Rib every week. Our Chef Julian goes into Guad every Tuesday morning @ 3:30 am to personally pick the items he needs for the week. He starts @ Abostos Market and then continues on to other vendors including Costco, Sams etc. He chooses the Prime Rib plus the other items and returns with same by 12:00 noon each Tuesday. Each serving of Prime Rib is 300 grams, price is $295 pesos including sides, horseradish etc.  To guarantee your dinner it is best to make a reservation for the day and how many in your party want Prime Rib. Call 108 0887. As always we thank you for your support. 

Archived