Chapala.com Webboard

US Driver's license

virgogirl

Go to the posts that Spencer put up for the Jalisco laws, or just read the whole thing on the Jalisco site. Yes, it is in Spanish and is very, very long.  Unfortunately, my eyes are no longer up to the task, so you will have to search it out yourself; but, it is there.

Alternatively, just use your common sense: Can you imagine any jurisdiction that will allow unregistered, uninsured or otherwise illegal vehicles to be driven on public roads?  Don‘t be so foolish.

I do acknowledge that there are several fools out there, though, and I will place you within that list of possibilities.

3 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Go to the posts that Spencer put up for the Jalisco laws, or just read the whole thing on the Jalisco site. Yes, it is in Spanish and is very, very long.  Unfortunately, my eyes are no longer up to the task, so you will have to search it out yourself; but, it is there.

Alternatively, just use your common sense: Can you imagine any jurisdiction that will allow unregistered, uninsured or otherwise illegal vehicles to be driven on public roads?  Don‘t be so foolish.

I do acknowledge that there are several fools out there, though, and I will place you within that list of possibilities.

Thank you, RV for your reply.

I have read those regulations many times over the past 8 years and even as CG said on Jan 25th this year, I can find nothing referring to Foreign Vehicles plates and stickers having to be up to date in the State/Province where it is registered.

I say stickers because I believe that in most Provinces and some States the sticker and the plates are separate. In Ontario the vehicle is not plated but the plates are issued to the owner and may be transferred to other vehicles. The vehicle is legal if it has plates attached.

It is not economical to return a vehicle to Ontario for its new sticker because vehicles are required to have an emission test every 2 years and the cost of the trip to do that is prohibitive. Not to say the questionable problem of trying to maintain a Provincial registration when the vehicle is no longer resident in the Province.

The rules were different when you and I came to Mexico and we could continue driving a foreign vehicle just as long as one kept your FM3 and did not go to FM2. I came under those rules and expected I would buy a Mexican vehicle when the old one died. It is still not dead.

By the way Bob! Seeing as you have now placed me on your list of fools, how did you like this fool buying you and your wife dinner when my wife and I were in Tucson 2 years ago? Do I get a refund?

I consider that a direct attack and it could be serious enough to justify your removal from this board. Be careful RV, your time here may be numbered.

1 hour ago, dave0415 said:

By the way Bob! Seeing as you have now placed me on your list of fools, how did you like this fool buying you and your wife dinner when my wife and I were in Tucson 2 years ago? Do I get a refund?

Cedros: see the above. he lives in Tucson

We did enjoy the dinner, but hope that you realize that your status is only “suspicious“, and not confirmed.  Cheer up.

I do not recall the Jalisco laws using terms like plates or stickers; simply that the vehicle must be legal, or must comply, with the requirements to be legally driven in its home jurisdiction; or language to that effect. I seem to recall that it was some 60 or more pages into the document....maybe more.

I don‘t wish to argue the point, but only hope that common sense will prevail, as all of the 30+ countries in my experience did require current registration.  Some had reciprocity with other jurisdictions for certain periods of time, while others did not. None permitted vehicles to be operated without current registration somewhere.

OK. This is getting more complicated as life goes on! wowzers. DAVE, I'm not too worried about the NM driver's license because it is good for one year, and I have an address at my son' house. I plan to get the Mexico driver's license so that way I have both. 

Maybe I should consider scrapping this foreign plated vehicle and return it to the states.The sad thing is the fact that I stuck alot of money into the vehicle since i've had it for two years, and i'm trying to drive it for 3 more years. it's the perfect old vehicle for around here and now it is running very well. I do not drive to guadalajara or out of the area. Just putting around here. To me the risk of accident is even higher when you leave this area between Chapala and GDL. I am weighing the risk of actions I take and this figures in.

. O'rourke is still investigating what ANA insurance wants for the client to be legal with their insurance. In the end, it is the insurance company that decides whether to pay out for an accident or not. Even if the ANA insurance indicates that it is OK to have expired plates, and then there's an accident and they change their minds, even if i get it it writing like Cedro did, well, it all seems like a crapshoot. I've never been a fan of going rogue in any case, but seems like my only option right now is to get the SD plates which do not require a proof of insurance from what friends who've done it have told me. But before I make that move, I will listen to the insurance company's comments.

I guess you take your chances retaining a stateside address when you do not live there. They all jive with my son's address; SS, the stateside bank I use to receive the SS and DMV has this address as well for the last registration that is expiring.. So at least there is some consistency. .....for what that's worth.

Well, i'm going to view the website on the SD plates for whatever that is worth, because some have said if there's an accident and you really have never lived in SD and they can prove it, the fact you have current licence plates from there is just about as good as having the expired plates. So at this time the jury is out to whether I will bother with it if it is equally sketchy legally.

Still waiting for the O'rourke folks to call me back. The agent went home sick ; therefore the delay in info.

8 minutes ago, virgogirl said:

I guess you take your chances retaining a stateside address when you do not live there.

Difference Between Domicile and Residence

http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-domicile-and-vs-residence/

Good article. My son's address is my domicile then. It is a place where I would default to if I could no longer be in residence down here. I think many people retain legitimate stateside addresses with family members, because that is who would be contacted or where you'd go in an emergency or whatever. My goal, Angus, is to get citizenship soon after I receive my permanente in 3 years or so.

Just getting back to y'all. The agent at O'rourke researched with my insurance company ANA and said that i don't have to worry about the expired plates. I know that is controversial with many of you. but i decided to go with it. She said that does not bother the police or any payout should i have an accident. She said the cheaper mexican insurance policies use the expired plates issue as an excuse not to pay out accidents. Good enough for me.

23 minutes ago, virgogirl said:

Just getting back to y'all. The agent at O'rourke researched with my insurance company ANA and said that i don't have to worry about the expired plates. I know that is controversial with many of you. but i decided to go with it. She said that does not bother the police or any payout should i have an accident. She said the cheaper mexican insurance policies use the expired plates issue as an excuse not to pay out accidents. Good enough for me.

Good for you. You researched it and have decided you will go that route. I would not do that but I GREATLY respect anyone who has done their due diligence and decides it's right for them. Supposedly we're all adults and allowed to make our own decisions. You are obviously not trying to convince anybody else what to do, just saying it's right for you. We need more posts like yours, thanks!

I say stickers because I believe that in most Provinces and some States the sticker and the plates are separate. In Ontario the vehicle is not plated but the plates are issued to the owner and may be transferred to other vehicles. The vehicle is legal if it has plates attached.

I do not recall the Jalisco laws using terms like plates or stickers; simply that the vehicle must be legal, or must comply, with the requirements to be legally driven in its home jurisdiction; or language to that effect.

A car is legal in Ontario as long as it has plates attached, and is ready to be driven. It does not have to be driven to be legal. In such a case, then, the Jalisco laws referenced adequately cover the legality of a vehicle driven here without yearly stickers. In Ontario, a car will not receive stickers until it is insured in the province. Not much point in getting car insurance every year for a vehicle that will never be driven there, while simultaneously paying for insurance to drive it here.

On 10/26/2017 at 4:43 PM, virgogirl said:

Well, i'm going to view the website on the SD plates for whatever that is worth, because some have said if there's an accident and you really have never lived in SD and they can prove it, the fact you have current licence plates from there is just about as good as having the expired plates. 

This is not a condemnation of your posting this comment, but.....  it is things like this that get repeated and repeated and before long become quoted as FACT.  IMO, this statement is just plain nonsense, stated originally by someone who didn’t actually know the truth nor had any data to back up the statement.... but made it anyway.  There are MANY people who are full time on the road... RV’ers for one. They don’t have a home state. So by the comment above, they could not possibly have either a driver’s license nor plates on a car. But we all know that this is not reality.  South Dakota originally began issuing title/plates to just these sort of people. Oregon did it too and probably more states that I am not aware of.  

Anyway.... end of rant. Sorry to have taken your time.

On 10/25/2017 at 12:57 PM, virgogirl said:

Well, my driver's license is good for another year. But the plates expire end of this month. New Mexico now has online registration renewal. The problem is that I no longer have insurance for the US. I only have a current policy thru O'rourke for Mexico.In order to do online renewal, I would have to buy US insurance. That could be complicated since I have allowed the US policy to run out shortly after I crossed the border with my AAA traveler's insurance. Even if I decided to buy insurance in order to complete the renewal, I think I would run into trouble since the cart hasn't been insured in the states for about 1 year. When that is discovered in the system, the send you a suspension for driving without insurance. So this would probably be an obstacle. 

I am grateful for all the input. I am going to call O'rourke and talk to the agent about requirements of legality. You have all been very helpful in allowing me to see my options and overcome the obstacles.

I just called O'rourke and she is investigating for me but she said she thinks it is not a problem to go with expired plates.

As a side, once I was impounded for "parking funny" in Ajijic during the footraces. I had a comment that I should have a pity party and drown my sorrows from a lady who took rides from me frequently. That experience had me rethink who I put in my car and call a friend. Keeping a car in this country takes money and a lot of hoop jumping.

VG you have stumbled on the very reason so many of  us have South Dakota Tags and Registration. It is the only state I have found that will renew your registration without current insurance. Man were they ever smart. Texas should do the same and rake in the money from expats. I have written them (Governor's office and Representatives) and suggested that. .Only the individual state can set the rules and regs for issuing auto registration and tags. The driver's license is another matter. International treaties call for all countries to recognize the actual license from the country you live in for driving. Net result is you can drive your US plated car or Mexican plated car in the USA on your Mexican driver license. When you take the auto vack to TX to sell you won't have any problem if you go to dealer in the border town but if you go further you'll need to go first to the County Clerk's office within blocks of Laredo border. You will need temp US insurance to show them. The cardboard tags are cheap and last a month or less as you specify.  You can even buy a "point to point temp tag. I bought one for travel to a dealer in Houston from Laredo and you have 3 or 4 days and can't deviate far from that route. Cost $20.

2 hours ago, geeser said:

.....but if you go further you'll need to go first to the County Clerk's office within blocks of Laredo border. You will need temp US insurance to show them. The cardboard tags are cheap and last a month or less as you specify.  You can even buy a "point to point temp tag. I bought one for travel to a dealer in Houston from Laredo and you have 3 or 4 days and can't deviate far from that route. Cost $20.

Geeser, it sounds like you are suggesting that one can get (temporary at least) Texas plates. I was not aware that Texas will give a non-resident of Texas any kind of plates if they are just ‘passing through’. And will they give them plates without a Texas title?  It would be good to know that my information is either wrong or not up-to-date.

With respect to the ‘point-to-point’.... yes. I believe that they are generally for ‘transport’ of un-liscensed vehicles through Texas. I got one once for that purpose. Then they wanted to know one’s EXACT route.... highway by highway and day by day. That was no problem for me, then, but I wonder if/how they check up on that. 

Yes temp tags (cardboard)  are available with with the title and registration from your state (South Dakota) for one week, one month, and point to point. They will want to know it is insured. On the point to point the only way you'll get caught is if caught by cop for violation off of your route. I am sure an excuse like looking for gasoline or hotel will cover small deviations. Also remember Texas police don't know your state's inspection requirements.

1 hour ago, gringolokito said:

South Dakit's Tags.

Is what I would call a Full Time RVer friendly state.

Are there other states equal in that regard?

Uh, before you gush over South Dakit I suggest you acquaint yourself with one specific county there named Clay. That is where you can obtain PERMANENT plates legally without actually residing there.

2 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Uh, before you gush over South Dakota I suggest you acquaint yourself with one specific county there named Clay. That is where you can obtain PERMANENT plates legally without actually residing there.

pappy, if you are suggesting that it is only Clay County who is doing this in SD, you are mistaken. They are just 'the best' to work with for many people. They are a small county office specializing in superior customer service but any county in the state does the same thing. For many years uninformed people called it an illegal sham but they were just that.... uninformed.  And it is not just RV'ers and Expats who do this with SD. People in adjacent states get their plates there often, much to the chagrin of their state motor vehicle departments. So much so that they have, to no avail, sued SD to get them to stop this practice. In the end, SD prevails.

57 minutes ago, RickS said:

pappy, if you are suggesting that it is only Clay County who is doing this in SD, you are mistaken. They are just 'the best' to work with for many people. They are a small county office specializing in superior customer service but any county in the state does the same thing. For many years uninformed people called it an illegal sham but they were just that.... uninformed.  And it is not just RV'ers and Expats who do this with SD. People in adjacent states get their plates there often, much to the chagrin of their state motor vehicle departments. So much so that they have, to no avail, sued SD to get them to stop this practice. In the end, SD prevails.

Glad to hear that, thanks! Back in the day, maybe 2003 or so, we were told that only Clay County would do it with nothing more than a phone call and credit card number. I remember telling the nice lady I talked with that I most certainly did not live in SD. "Honey, most of my customers don't" she said sweetly! Right then I instantly knew that I wished I had done business there instead of the "crats I had to suffer with in Mass., Ca., and yes, even Texas. The folks in New Hampshire and Oregon were at least "not memorable".

Pappy: You are so right when Texas finally figured out that my 2000 Ford was no longer in Texas which was in 2004. Everyone told us the same thing, Only Clay County. Being cheap I never bothered to upgrade my plates on my car or the window Tab and finally got rid of the car in 2013. I never had any problems. Now with a Permanente Card, I am driving a Jalisco plated car.

Now that I no longer have a US plated car, I am never stopped unless I do something stupid. With my US plated car, I was stopped several times per year especially near Christmas by a Transito hoping for a bribe.

6 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Glad to hear that, thanks! Back in the day, maybe 2003 or so, we were told that only Clay County would do it....

Yes, I know. Earlier in this thread I was ranting about people Posting inaccurate information and re-posting and re-posting until it became fact. I remember, back in that timeframe, the person who perpetrated the inaccurate information about Clay County and nothing would stop her from saying that, even ‘tho it was pointed out that she was wrong. 

She DID ‘inform’ a lot of people about the virtues of getting SD plates so I guess it wasn’t all bad.

On 11/6/2017 at 8:39 AM, pappysmarket said:

Uh, before you gush over South Dakit I suggest you acquaint yourself with one specific county there named Clay. That is where you can obtain PERMANENT plates legally without actually residing there.

Will do.

I Believe You are correct I do recall Clay being mentioned.

Thanks pappysmarket I appreciate that

Archived