Chapala.com Webboard

US Driver's license

virgogirl

Hello, helpful web boarders. My US Driver's license expires 1 year from now. I am able to drive my foreign plated vehicle (unless law changes) for another 3 year on my RT. Can one obtain a Mexican driver;'s license and be legal operating the foreign plated vehicle with the mexican license? Also does it matter if the foreign plated plates are current down here? I have no intention of going back to the states for these things, except for bringing the foreign plated vehicle out of the country once i go permanente in 3 years.

A friend mentioned that some states will renew your DL by mail and you fill out a form on line. But i don't believe New Mexico does that.

1. Yes

2. Opinions vary greatly on that question. Obtaining South Dakota plates and keeping them current will certainly suffice if you don't wish to test the waters yourself.

3. Sr. Google could help you determine if NM does license renewals by mail. Once you obtain your Mexican license their is really no reason to have both unless you think you might again return to the US to permanently reside. Otherwise, your Mexican license is valid there.

Archived