Chapala.com Webboard

Intraocular Lens

RickS

Has anyone had cataract surgery in Guadalajara AND chose to enhance it with prescription lens implants?  There are several 'options' (multifocal or accommodative , Toric, etc) available NOB these days. What did you/spouse have?  Recommendations?

Thanx

I had extremely high myopia ( -10 to -11) and when I had my cataract surgery the doctor suggested I get one lens that sees distance and one that sees close. Its amazing how your brain just makes them work together.  This way I don't need to have either reading glasses or distance glasses for driving.  I can see everything.  That being said, I did buy from him a cheap pair of glasses for TV watching since I do that a lot in the evenings,  and when I put them on, although they aren't necessary and I can read everything on the screen, it sharpens things like switching from a regular channel to a Hi def channel.  I'm very happy with what he did.

Had my surgery this June in PV. My doctora suggested the opposite and she said she has had some patients who did not adapt to the dual lenses as well as gimpychimp (Glad to hear yours was so successful!). Prior to surgery I needed to stand within about 5 feet of the TV to really be able to see it at all. She inserted a lens in each eye that were slightly different based on my need. She said she could insert basically a bi-focal lens if I really wanted it but she did not recommend it. I went with her suggestion and she told me i would probably need reading glasses which was fine with me. 4 months post surgery I have 20/20 vision and carry a pair of 2.0 readers with me that I use for reading on my phone, fine print anywhere, and sometimes for a menu that is really small. Don't need anything for computer use, tablet or Kindle. No more Mr. Magoo for me!

Had it done 10yrs ago NOB. Great result. Still have 20/20 after 10 yrs. The surgeon recommend mono lens rather than bi focal, also same lens in both eyes. The reason for Mono lens was that with bifocal there is a far higher risk of you seeing halos and stars at night. That could make night driving difficult.

If you select different lenses, imagine what happens if you get something in the distance eye while driving, or worse yet, if you lose the use of that eye. Then you are stuck with just a close-up reading eye which will be very difficult to “correct“ for distance vision.  In my case, both eyes got distance lenses, and I did eventually lose the use of one eye, now filled with oil, so I am glad I made that choice.

One distance and the other near lensing is called monovision in regular eyewear. That is quite normal a scheme, but in the eye lenses might be a different story. I knew a man that had it done and he grumbled about it often. Can one not get the lens changed for the scenario RGV had or poor performance? It seems to now be a simple procedure.

2 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

One distance and the other near lensing is called monovision in regular eyewear. That is quite normal a scheme, but in the eye lenses might be a different story. I knew a man that had it done and he grumbled about it often. Can one not get the lens changed for the scenario RGV had or poor performance? It seems to now be a simple procedure.

It may be routine but here in PV I needed to get the normal clearance for any surgical procedure. That included urinalysis, blood work, EKG and a letter from a cardiologist that is good for 90 days. It's cheaper in Mexico but at least in my case it was anything but fly by night.

My wife had cataracts in both eyes and had surgery in both eyes. One week apart 4 years ago.  One eye had a lens for distance and one eye had lens for closeup put in. 

One of the lens had many circles like a tail light on a car. She has super vision since. No need for readers or other. I have to be very careful about any facial expressions these days.

5 hours ago, RickS said:

Good feedback.... were any of these done here or Guadalajara?

Mine were done by Dr. Andres Padilla in Guadalajara, at the San Pablo Eye Clinic.  Avenida Americas #1200, Zapopan. Call 3833-7373  or 3833-7374  for appointments.  Its a beautiful clean clinic which I recommend as a good choice.  www.centrooftalmologico.com.mx

14 hours ago, RickS said:

Good feedback.... were any of these done here or Guadalajara?

I had one eye done in Guadalajara by a Lakeside doctor. The results were not as promoted. 

20 hours ago, SunshineyDay said:

One eye had a lens for distance and one eye had lens for closeup put in. 

One of the lens had many circles like a tail light on a car.

Interesting....  the lens with 'many circles' describes some form of Multifocal Lenses, designed for (at least) far and near vision is not also mid-range. Maybe this is how he achieved good vision across the board rather than putting in one lense for distance and one for near vision, sometimes known as monovision.  Did your wife have any difficulty adjusting to the new lenses?

21 hours ago, SunshineyDay said:

My wife had cataracts in both eyes and had surgery in both eyes. One week apart 4 years ago.  One eye had a lens for distance and one eye had lens for closeup put in. 

One of the lens had many circles like a tail light on a car. She has super vision since. No need for readers or other. I have to be very careful about any facial expressions these days.

If you may, where did your wife have it done?

Do you know what it like trying to find Dr. Santo in Guadalajara without a first name? It is kind of like trying to find Dr. Smith in Chicago. hahaha

I found Dr. Arturo Santos - Centro de Retina Médica y Quirúrgica. Maybe that is him.

Archived