Chapala.com Webboard

Pre-sale funeral calls -yet another scam?

Semalu

Heads up all -again..... This is getting tedious. There is a lady(in this case) called herself Rebecca, Spoke Spanish, Number she called from was 333-401-8753. She says she is representing a funeral home in GDL and calling to sell pre-arranged funerals. I asked her how she had my cell phone number and she tried to bypass the question. I nailed her to it and she finally said a friend of mine had left it at the funeral home on a recent visit. This is something I know to be patently untrue. So at best, this woman is a blatant liar and why would you want to do business with a liar? At worst this is yet another scam targeting the expat community. Keep your eyes open all.

20 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Pull it out, pre-need funerals are a service. Your paranoia doesn't make it a scam.

You can make personal insults all you want. I am not talking about the validity of pre-arranged funerals, I am talking about the wisdom of buying any product from some stranger who happens to call you and who has also been caught lying. Now if that makes sense to you, then why not give her a call......

18 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Given that we have plenty of local funeral homes and now a state of the art crematorium in Chapala, why go out of town for this service?

Maybe they are cheaper? Does it really matter where the oven is, they would transport the body in the price?

41 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Maybe they are cheaper? Does it really matter when the oven is, they would transport the body in the price?

Do we even know if she really represents that business or just wants you to send thousands of $ to her bank account. (preferably from OXXO:rolleyes:)

It smells like fraud ....Especially if Semalu knows that no  friend was at any funeral home.

I am  with Semalu....be careful who you give (or send) money to. So many scams out there.

Thanks for the warning.

15 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Hmmm......... if you need a warning about this scam, well.........you'll probably fall hook, line and sinker for the mustard bandit.:010:

Or the flat tire one.....or an uncle John is coming for visit (so many people fell for that one) and so on.  First time I hear about the funeral home calls . Its new to me. There is a large senior gringo community here, probably thinking about the arrangements.

So yes......thanks for the warning.

By the way , Angus seems to think it was legit ;)

Why not make everything a scam. But common sense and a lack of paranoia tells you that the Guadalajara  full service funeral homes were the only source for cremation and now all that can be done right here in Chapala. All they are doing is attempting to get the business back. It's called competition.

54 minutes ago, El Saltos said:

The new crematorium does business only thru Funeral Homes, no direct sales.

Of course it does. That is not in doubt  so sales calls from "full service" funeral homes from Guadalajara make sense in light of joint venture full service in Chapala  being available now.

Definitely paranoid.. Telephone marketing..  Happens NOB as well.  Every time you give out your email address and phone number on the Internet you are giving them permission to sell that info.. That's why those sites are free because just like Face. Book they sell that info.

Archived