Chapala.com Webboard

UPPER CHULA VISTA AREA

Dan M

I am moving to Ajijic / Lakeside  and found a very nice  potential rental in upper Chula Vista.  Can anyone tell me if this is a nice area?  I do like the central location but I have not been there or seen the neighborhood. I'm wondering if it is a semi quiet and safe neighborhood. 

It is a nice and upscale neighbourhood (my favorite) .......but you  must have a vehicle. You just have to be sure that your neighbour does not have a barking dog or the next door is not a party weekend house for people from Guadalajara. Otherwise it is quiet part of lakeside (on a steep hill) remote from the village activities.  You will have to use your car to everywhere you go unless you are  young and fit but the views are beautiful.

Beautiful area, well maintained,gated, highly sought after area. Like Islander suggested, a vehicle really is preferable in this area.  If you are physically fit you can walk and get a bus. However, it is a very busy, highly traveled high speed road that you need to consider. I see people walking all of the time though. So, there you have my opinion.

49 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

The formula for a big letdown. 

For a short term rental (a month or less), sight unseen is OK. But for anything longer,  renters need to see it, not just daytime but all hours of day and night, weekdays, weekends, etc.  

7 hours ago, Dan M said:

I am moving to Ajijic / Lakeside  and found a very nice  potential rental in upper Chula Vista.  Can anyone tell me if this is a nice area?  I do like the central location but I have not been there or seen the neighborhood. I'm wondering if it is a semi quiet and safe neighborhood. 

Really best not to commit before you come here and check things out first hand.   We really considered that area but decided that banging over those cobblestone streets and up and down the steep hills if one needed a loaf of bread was not for us.  

45 minutes ago, ibarra said:

Beautiful area, well maintained,gated, highly sought after area. Like Islander suggested, a vehicle really is preferable in this area.  If you are physically fit you can walk and get a bus. However, it is a very busy, highly traveled high speed road that you need to consider. I see people walking all of the time though. So, there you have my opinion.

I think you may be thinking of Chula Vista Norte, which is gated.  Upper Chula Vista has direct access from the carretara , with no gate. As other posters said, the road up is very steep and you would absolutely need a car unless you are young and very fit. :lol:

I just found out there are very loud barking dogs next door and the internet is iffy so Im going to pass. Thank you all for the good advice! I am going to get something short term so I can check out the possibilities and  neighborhoods personally at different days and times as was suggested. 

4 hours ago, Dan M said:

I just found out there are very loud barking dogs next door and the internet is iffy so Im going to pass. Thank you all for the good advice! I am going to get something short term so I can check out the possibilities and  neighborhoods personally at different days and times as was suggested. 

Good thinking.

Upper Chula Vista should not be confused with Chula Vista Norte. Two very different communities. (We rented in both.) Upper Chula Vista is one of the oldest affluent districts in the area and Chula Vista Norte is newer one. Although for  people living in La Reserva (and such)  Chula Vista Norte might already look ancient. Both Chula Vistas (even original " Lower") have decent size lots,  in the contrary of recent developments (10 years and newer)  where I feel like a sardine. But they are popular with the new tsunami of foreigners.

Archived