Chapala.com Webboard

Poutine

ComputerGuy

To avoid hijacking Derek's thread about butter tarts, I am posting this here.

Camille said: There IS good poutine???? I'm from chicken and dumpling country.......

There is actually good poutine. Maybe not here, though. I resisted poutine for many years, for a number of reasons (the first one being "Ugh! Really? Gravy is how they made french fries edible at my high-school caf, but the gravy was also inedible). But once you've had a good one, well...

On my last trip to Canada, we were driving along the Ottawa River on the PQ side, and stopped for a chip wagon. It's pretty much a law in that province for wagons to sell poutine, and half the car got just that. Even though I got only fries, I couldn't help but steal a few from my daughter's poutine cup.

I will reiterate a discovery I made when cheeses were being discussed here. There is a brand of cheddar available at Walmart that is so mild, it is almost like curds. And is perfect for making your own poutine. Navarro brand.

11 hours ago, camillenparadise said:

There IS good poutine???? I'm from chicken and dumpling country.......

And sausage gravy and biscuits????? Ever had sausage gravy poutine (home made)? To me, the most important part to both dishes is the gravy. You got to get it right.

Well, I can partially agree; but it's more like saying the stylus is the most important part of the stereo system. The fries have to be crunchy enough to resist immediate softification from the gravy, and without curds, it just ain't right. Plus, one place here was putting the cheese on after the gravy, which is the wrong way around.

Looks like fun. Geez, in my hometown alone, there must a dozen places that offer every kind of poutine imaginable, and a few that are unimaginable, from smoked meat to cauliflower. Yikes. But the price of $1.99 including a Coke, with bacon bits on top? Unbeatable.

Archived