Chapala.com Webboard

Does anyone know where you can get bagels around here?

suegarn

It's not just in MX where finding a decent/true bagel is difficult.  A real bagel must be boiled and few bakers take the time/effort for that vital part of the process.  

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/05/21/405190434/chew-on-this-the-science-of-great-nyc-bagels-its-not-the-water

If anyone is coming to Mexico City, let me know and I'll put you in touch with a friend who has started a bagel business here.  His bagels are perfect New York bagels, boiled then baked, chewy and delicious.  

Bagels 1.jpg

4 hours ago, HarryB said:

Don't they just sell the ones from walmart? The one time I went there, that is what they seemed to have.

Unless they switched since Christmas of 2016, they were still selling proper bagels. In fact, I don't think WalMart has anything that remotely resembles a "proper" bagle. They have those odd little frozen things...

12 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Unless they switched since Christmas of 2016, they were still selling proper bagels. In fact, I don't think WalMart has anything that remotely resembles a "proper" bagle. They have those odd little frozen things...

Occasionally Walmart sells 'fresh' bagels on the tables outside their bakery.  Again, a hamburger bun with a hole in it.  I'll try the Bagel Place, but no high hopes.  Again, it's not a MXN thing, but for those of us who grew up in ethnically diverse communities in the US where there good Jewish delis/bakeries, finding a good bagel in the US is equally futile in many places.  

Before the Bagel Place was sold, they had superior bagels. Unfortunately, never fresh out of the oven, which is how we can buy them back home. But close enough. I had a bagel sandwich at the "new" place upstairs at Plaza Bugambilias, and they were pretty good. The service was sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooow, though, because we ordered some capafrappas or something.

The CostCo ones are so much larger than the Bagel place's. You can get them at SuperLake, from CostCo, but I rarely do, for the same reason. Costco's are one step up from Lender's, which U.S. grocery stores have been foisting on the public for too many years: dried out and tasteless, and definitely not boiled...

The bagels at Costo are not bagels.  They are a bread dough in the shape of a bagel.  The ones at the Bagel Place were actually bagels and better.  Before they moved, I thought they were pretty good.  The last time I went to their new location in the mall, I got practically frozen bagels from them.

If you have never had an authentic bagel, then you wouldn't really know what a bagel is supposed to be.  As someone stated earlier, it must be boiled for it to taste right.

There are actually two kinds of boiled and baked bagels: NYC bagels--which those are, in the photo I posted upthread--and Montreal bagels, which are thinner rounds of dough with bigger holes.  I'm a NYC bagel person, and my best friend is a Montreal bagel person.  You can imagine the battles.  Bagel wars!
Montreal-Bagel-Vs.-New-York.jpg

56 minutes ago, More Liana said:

There are actually two kinds of boiled and baked bagels: NYC bagels--which those are, in the photo I posted upthread--and Montreal bagels, which are thinner rounds of dough with bigger holes.  I'm a NYC bagel person, and my best friend is a Montreal bagel person.  You can imagine the battles.  Bagel wars!
Montreal-Bagel-Vs.-New-York.jpg

Love love love your post !..

11 hours ago, Metuchenmama said:

When Howard Dreicer was alive he taught the bakers at the bakery on Juarez  how to make bagels, the real deal.    It did n't last long..  Maybe they could be prevailed upon to make them again if they knew they had a market for them.

I would imagine if the demand didn't meet the supply and the labor to produce was more than the sale price could command, it would fizzle fast. How many who like bagels here would actually purchase enough on a daily basis to make this worthwhile for a baker? And what would you pay per bagel to make this happen? A good bagel requires more equipment, handling, storage space and time to produce. Maybe an opportunity for an expat to open a shop? 

18 hours ago, Zeb said:

The bagels at Costo are not bagels.  They are a bread dough in the shape of a bagel.  The ones at the Bagel Place were actually bagels and better.  Before they moved, I thought they were pretty good.  The last time I went to their new location in the mall, I got practically frozen bagels from them.

But bread dough and bagel dough are basically the same recipe. I don't know how they are cooked (a boiled-first bagel has honey in the water), but they do have the texture, if not the flavour of a bagel. They certainly don't taste like a slice of bread to me. And they certainly aren't wood-fired. So maybe just baking a bagel like you bake bread is what gives us the CostCo "bagel".

Computer Guy the dough is bread flour, water and yeast. Its the process, kneading, rising and retarding the rising via refrigeration. Then the boiling before baking that gives a real bagel the chew and crust. Additives to the water for boiling can vary by baker. Some just salt, some baking soda. Honey is new to me. Steam injected ovens do give a nice crust to breads, but just not the same chew that a chilled then boiled  bagel have. 

Archived