Chapala.com Webboard

Are cats welcome in rental situations?

I am moving with my aunt to the Chapala area in November. She is moving into a nursing home and I have a place to stay until February.

Is having a cat going to make finding an apartment rental much harder? Please say, no!  I can't separate from my fluffy friend. Actually, please just tell me what you think is the real situation. Thanks!

You will have fewer choices, but it is not especially difficult. I have lived here nine years with between one and three cats. If you go through rental agencies you may have more limitations but I have always rented directly from owners and never had a problem. Be prepared to offer a pet deposit. I never have had to but would if asked. 

Am I replying correctly? I seem to be circling back to myself. Well, if you got this message, Xena, then I guess something is working.

First of all, this web board is amazing. How generous of everyone to be supportive, even of a newbie like me! It really gives me a good feeling about moving to the area.

Do you have any suggestions for finding out about rentals from local landlords prior to arriving in Aijic? If not, what is the best approach

once one arrives. I have a place to stay through February.

You replied correctly, Margo. I do not know any way to hunt non-agency rentals from a distance. I have found mine through friends and acquaintances. Read web boards, Facebook pages, go out a lot and chat up everyone you encounter. Look at LCS, SuperLake, and Walmart web boards. Walk neighborhoods you like looking for Se Renta signs. Stop at neighborhood markets, shops, beauty salons. Remember that December, January, and February is the highest of the high season. Also, Ajijic has the tightest, highest-cost rental market. 

I have a friend who rents out her casita using Craigslist.  Be sure to tell the potential landlord about your cats, since pets are often a deal breaker and landlords tend to freak out if someone fails to be honest before moving in.

Hotel Perico would be good if you rent a car, since it's not so conveniently located but does accept pets and has completely equipped suites available for a reasonable price.

Best of luck to you and your aunt!

To your question as to whether if will be much harder - the truth is yes.  Impossible no. All depends on the landlord, personally for example ,just because of my own personal past experiences , I don’t accept cats but will accept a small well-behaved  dog , Other landlords based on their own past experiences may do the reverse- or no pets at all,

22 hours ago, Margo Morado said:

Am I replying correctly? I seem to be circling back to myself. Well, if you got this message, Xena, then I guess something is working.

First of all, this web board is amazing. How generous of everyone to be supportive, even of a newbie like me! It really gives me a good feeling about moving to the area.

Do you have any suggestions for finding out about rentals from local landlords prior to arriving in Aijic? If not, what is the best approach

once one arrives. I have a place to stay through February.

Sent you a PM

Archived