Chapala.com Webboard

Some Questions from a Family Interested in Moving to Ajijiic

On 10/22/2017 at 9:48 AM, HarryB said:

Our godson and older sister go to Terranova and the parents are ecstatic! They have half a day in english and half in spanish. This is our first year with a pool, but, currently with the cover and three hours of solar the temp is 99. I am not aware of scouts, but, there are many youth activities. Sports, bugle corp., computer clubs, dance, music, art, and others an old fogie like me are unaware of.

Thanks very much for the very helpful information! Please could you tell us if the activities you wrote about (sports, computer clubs, dance, music, etc.) are in Ajijic or in surrounding towns and areas? 

10 minutes ago, Michael Victor said:

Thanks for the great info. Please tell us in what city is Hotel Perico? 

http://www.hotelperico.com.mx/en/

Michael, the only city near Lake Chapala is Guadalajara, an hour to the north.  Chapala is a small town, and Ajijic is a very small town.  Compared to the size of Puebla--with a population of over three million people and the fourth largest city in Mexico--you'll be coming to a very rural part of the country.  

I notice that you mentioned you'd like to work once you're here.  Do you currently have a visa with a work permit or are you a Residente Permanente or a Mexican citizen?  What kind of work would you want to do?  

18 minutes ago, More Liana said:

http://www.hotelperico.com.mx/en/

Michael, the only city near Lake Chapala is Guadalajara, an hour to the north.  Chapala is a small town, and Ajijic is a very small town.  Compared to the size of Puebla--with a population of over three million people and the fourth largest city in Mexico--you'll be coming to a very rural part of the country.  

I notice that you mentioned you'd like to work once you're here.  Do you currently have a visa with a work permit or are you a Residente Permanente or a Mexican citizen?  What kind of work would you want to do?  

Thanks for writing. We understand most of what you are saying, but really this is why we want to come visit before relocating. We need to get a sense of the area. I don't mind at all living in a small and rural Mexican town like Chapala, provided I can experience a taste of Americana in Ajijic. And I suspect with the large American community in Ajijic, I can find my kind of work there. At least, that's what it looks like on paper. We need to visit to actually see what's what, and talk to the people we meet. I have my Residente Permanente and CURP, INAPAM, and Seguro Popular. I am a musician. All the best! 

Hotel Perico is in the municipality of Chapala, but not in the city of Chapala. It is out of town a few miles, on a connecting road between the Chapala-Guadalajara highway and the Chapala-Ajijic highway.  There is a bus stop and a Walmart at the intersection of the connecting road and the Chapala-Ajijic highway in the community known as San Antonio Tlyacapan. That bus stop is primarily for the direct bus to Guadalajara. I do not think there is a bus stop anywhere close to Hotel Perico, so they have an occasional shuttle to Walmart.

Consider Real de Chapala or its sister hotel, Danza del Sol. They are both in good, walkable neighborhoods, one on the east and one on the west of Ajijic. I think these are really good for families. You could let the kids free to roam and you are an easy walk to the plaza, especially from Danza del Sol. 

Another option is to talk to Meredith at Casa Blanca. Meredith is married to a local guy and she is raising their children here. Casa Blanca has a very central location.

well, i think Hotel Perico is in Ajijic, maybe someone on here can correct that.  It is straight up the road libriamento from walmart.  You can look at their website.  Tom and Jan who run it are just wonderful.  It has a real sense of community, retirees, and others.  On the weekends there are alot of families with kids from Guadalajara.

It was hard for me to visualize how the north shore communities relate to each other. 

Chapala and Jocotopec divide the northwest shore of Lake Chapala. I once drove from Chapala to Jocotopec in 20 minutes. They comprise a series of villages that belong to one or the other municipality.

Ajijic has a population of approximately 5,000 people. It is part of the Chapala municipality. Think of all these places as neighborhoods. 

I really think you should consider an alternative to Hotel Perico. It is not on a walking road. Your family will be more limited than in a hotel right in Chapala or Ajijic. We have lots of kids who visit and they love to walk to the abarote, the plaza, or the malecon.

Just now, Prudent said:

It was hard for me to visualize how the north shore communities relate to each other. 

Chapala and Jocotopec divide the northwest shore of Lake Chapala. I once drove from Chapala to Jocotopec in 20 minutes. They comprise a series of villages that belong to one or the other municipality.

Ajijic has a population of approximately 5,000 people. It is part of the Chapala municipality. Think of all these places as neighborhoods. 

I really think you should consider an alternative to Hotel Perico. It is not on a walking road. Your family will be more limited than in a hotel right in Chapala or Ajijic. We have lots of kids who visit and they love to walk to the abarote, the plaza, or the malecon.

21 minutes ago, sputnik said:

well, i think Hotel Perico is in Ajijic, maybe someone on here can correct that.  It is straight up the road libriamento from walmart.  You can look at their website.  Tom and Jan who run it are just wonderful.  It has a real sense of community, retirees, and others.  On the weekends there are alot of families with kids from Guadalajara.

Since Walmart and Centro Laguna and the Libramiento are NOT in Ajijic your assertion is false.

16 hours ago, sputnik said:

well, i think Hotel Perico is in Ajijic, maybe someone on here can correct that. 

Some folks just lump everything from Chapala to San Juan Cosala under the title "Ajijic", but for quoting to newbies exactly where something is, suggesting that Hotel Perico is in Ajijic is not accurate. It is out on the Libramiento between San Antonio and northern Chapala town.... closer to the former than the latter.

On 10/16/2017 at 8:00 PM, Michael Victor said:

Hello,

This is our first post to the Webboard. We live in Puebla and are interested in relocating to Ajijic or surrounding area. Please can you help us with a few questions?

1. Are there any bus lines that run from Puebla to Ajijic? If not, could you please tell me what bus lines and routes we must take?
  2. We have a son and we want to know if there is a "Primaria Pública" in Ajijic? If so, could you please tell me the name and if possible a contact name/number?
  3. For our son, we were wondering if there is a Scout group in Ajijic? He already participates here in Puebla Scouts. 
  4. We are planning to come visit Ajijic during the Christmas vacation. We were wondering if you could recommend a good "Hotel Familiar", very clean, with pool, and reasonably priced?

Thank you very much for your time and advice. 

The Michael Victor Family

I have just seen your post.  All the recommendations are for Ajijic, Chapala.   I think you should look in Jocotepec which is much cheaper, and it is easy to get to Ajijic  on the bus for about 10 pesos.  I think you will love living here, it has the best of both worlds, Mexican and America/European/Canadian.  I stayed in Puebla for a while, RVing, and I can see why you would want to move.  Society is not so split here, the Mexicans are very welcoming to foreigners, cultures cross over with Mexicans who speak English and Expats who speak Spanish.  There are lots of ways to make friends, and I would guess that your kids are bi-lingual. A friend has a lovely B&B just outside Joco town, you can catch the bus at the end of the road, it has a pool but I agree that it may be too cold for a pool.  My e mail is rosfreed @ yahoo.com and I would be happy to give you more help if you e mail me.  

17 hours ago, sputnik said:

Sorry but it is just a hop and a skip north west of Chapala  and waaay further north and east of Ajijic but a little tiny bit closer to Walmart which is in San Antonio T  which is east of Ajijic. All of which are in the Municipio of Chapala.

If you have kids in Loyola or Terra Nova  forget Jocotepec.   Ajijic , San Antonio are it..

I would love to be able to drive from Chapala to Joco in 20 minutes, I am afraid that is something from the past.. I cannot drive from West Ajjic to the center of Joco in 20 minutes anymore and it is pretty much the same to go to Chapala.. All the red lights do not make the traffic better or faster, that is for sure..

On 10/24/2017 at 9:38 AM, Michael Victor said:

Thanks for writing. We understand most of what you are saying, but really this is why we want to come visit before relocating. We need to get a sense of the area. I don't mind at all living in a small and rural Mexican town like Chapala, provided I can experience a taste of Americana in Ajijic. And I suspect with the large American community in Ajijic, I can find my kind of work there. At least, that's what it looks like on paper. We need to visit to actually see what's what, and talk to the people we meet. I have my Residente Permanente and CURP, INAPAM, and Seguro Popular. I am a musician. All the best! 

Most of my musician friends are Mexicans that do all kinds of rock and blues and mainly have their home base in Guadalajara. I do know a few Canadian and American expats who call this area home base and work with Mexican bands. because little Ajijic has a few thou foreigners does not necessarily translate into  venues you may seek. If you're into bluegrass ,etc. good luck with that.

2 minutes ago, bmh said:

If you have kids in Loyola or Terra Nova  forget Jocotepec.   Ajijic , San Antonio are it..

I would love to be able to drive from Chapala to Joco in 20 minutes, I am afraid that is something from the past.. I cannot drive from West Ajjic to the center of Joco in 20 minutes anymore and it is pretty much the same to go to Chapala.. All the red lights do not make the traffic better or faster, that is for sure..

And the additional topes.

19 hours ago, RickS said:

RV, in another thread a person who stays at Hotel Perico suggests that the bus does/will stop out there due to the 'school' in the vicinity.

Maybe she will repost that information.....

We just called Hotel Perico and the gentleman said that there are no buses that stop near the hotel, only near Walmart. And she added that only by auto or taxi can one arrive at the hotel. 

1 hour ago, sputnik said:

thank you for the correction that Perico is not in Ajijic.    I didnt know how far Ajijic extended.  So is Walmart considered Ajijic or San Antonio?  Is Perico considered San Antonio?

Instead of a bunch of us answering this again because you chose not to read the posts,why don't you google  maps of the north shore of Lake Chapala specifically naming Perico,Walmart, Ajiji which are all part of Chapala Municipio.

Archived