Chapala.com Webboard

Toilet paper flushing

ccw

2 hours ago, More Liana said:

It's the same everywhere I've ever been in Mexico, and I've been to 28 states plus the Distrito Federal, where I live.  Private homes, restaurants, you name it: it's not just Lakeside, and it's not just rural areas. SOME of the really fancy hotels in Mexico City let you flush the paper, but even most hotels have a sign on the wall of the bathroom in your room: Please put toilet paper and used feminine hygiene products in the basket, not in the toilet.  

I also have traveled extensively in Mexico for about 50 years years and lived here full time for 10. I can count on one hand having seen these signs. I have been to just about every restaurant here lakeside and except for an eccentric Brit in Riberas years ago who had signs all over the place scolding his customers (covered extensively on this board) I have not seen these signs. Please enlighten me as to the restaurants here with these requests, since i would like to avoid them because of disgusting  smells and health concerns. I would venture to say that at least 95% of homes that Gringos live in here have completely adequate plumbing to avoid this situation. Another "Chicken Little" thread. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only from your point of view, which does not make it fact. There are enough reasoned responses here from long-time residents that should give you pause before saying things like "Chicken Little thread", without tagging on "In My Humble Opinion".

When something is simply a "given" in an entire country, you can fight back all you want, but it seems like a real "waste" of time to me.

Sorry gringohombre, if there is a basket next to the toilet, put on your big boy pants and USE IT. I would suggest that the vast majority of both private homes and restaurants do not have plumbing that will take flushed paper. They shouldn't need signs to tell people what they should already know.

24 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

I also have traveled extensively in Mexico for about 50 years years and lived here full time for 10. I can count on one hand having seen these signs. I have been to just about every restaurant here lakeside and except for an eccentric Brit in Riberas years ago who had signs all over the place scolding his customers (covered extensively on this board) I have not seen these signs. Please enlighten me as to the restaurants here with these requests, since i would like to avoid them because of disgusting  smells and health concerns. I would venture to say that at least 95% of homes that Gringos live in here have completely adequate plumbing to avoid this situation. Another "Chicken Little" thread. 

He started with one sign asking to please not flush toilet paper. As the toilet continued to overflow because of the sensitive, very special customers exercising their (apparent) god-given right to flush toilet paper he kept adding signs. He was tired of mopping up sewage because some customers believed there was no real reason to not flush toilet paper.

4 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

Sorry gringohombre, if there is a basket next to the toilet, put on your big boy pants and USE IT. I would suggest that the vast majority of both private homes and restaurants do not have plumbing that will take flushed paper. They shouldn't need signs to tell people what they should already know.

I also have a basket next my toilet for trash such as the cardboard core of the toilet paper roll. I would never think of using it for what you are talking about and after 10 years here with friends and employees using the bathroom, NEVER has it been used for this purpose. I would venture to say that there are trash baskets in every restaurant and home bathroom and most people would not even think of using it for this purpose UNLESS there is a sign requesting this. Again I have not has any response of restaurants here with such a request. 

If there is a basket next to the toilet, not the sink, it means don't flush the paper.   The basket next to the sink is for paper towels after washing your hands.  We travel around MX a lot and that is the rule I follow in ladies' rooms.  Maybe men's rooms have different set up.

OK, first, it's not just Mexico. Many places in Europe, especially "Old towns" have disposal systems that require courtesy and consideration.

I my house, which is quite old, we have  a "First Strike Policy." It means, simply, that the first tp swipe for a #2 goes in the toilet, and all subsequent swipes in the basket. All pee papers go in the basket. Never had a problem, and it eliminates the worst grossness.

Do be considerate. It may not impact your house, but we're all in the same system.

I've put used toilet paper in the basket next to the toilet for the last 36 years that I've lived in Mexico, in my own homes and in everyone else's homes and in any public restroom I've used.  I've never experienced a stink in a private home.  Once in a while if a business isn't taking care of cleanliness there's a smell in a ladies' bathroom.  I usually go tell an employee s/he needs to take care of the receptacle.  

I also have a few friends who still have only outdoor toilets.  You can definitely throw the used TP in those.  :lol:

8 minutes ago, elisabeth said:

What is the most biodegradable TP available?  NOB, Consumer Reports has said Angel Soft dissolves fastest. 

We use the Kirkland brand from Costco which is safe for septic systems.  I tested a square in water to see what it did and it fell apart very quickly.

This is not rocket science people. Buy a small COVERED waste basket and put it next to the toilet. Line it with a plastic bag. Change the bag regularly. No smell.

I have seen the baskets at Soriana and the store that used to be Ace Hardware in Chapala. I'm sure they can be found many other places.

Ferreteria Calzada, the hardware store, was never an “Ace Hardware Store“, but simply an Ace agent with a street level sign to that effect.  Look up; the main sign says “Ferreterria Calzada“.

In Spanish, ferreteria means hardware store; with the root of the word indicating “ironware“ or “ironwork“, as in tools, etc.

5 minutes ago, Ferret said:

There may have to be a crackdown on TP disposal.

Let's just wipe it out altogether.  :)

Actually if one checks the references on this subject, modern TP is quite fast dissolving and OK for both treatment plants and septic tanks.  The problem with it is when it is used in undersized pipes particularly where there is internal roughness and/or inadequate sloping of lines.  Reading on this topic the main environmental concern most often discussed is the massive number of trees cut to provide it.  Of course that latter issue is still around whether it is flushed or put in a trash can.

Archived