Chapala.com Webboard

Toilet paper flushing

ccw

Hello all,

I have seen a lot of information regarding the flushing of toilet paper due to bad infrastructure. I realize this can vary by location. What percentage of housing have this issue?

Thanks.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CCW you also need to take into account whether the house has it's own septic tank or is part of the municipal system. How high is the water table where the house is? No such thing as septic fields or two part tanks. So it's just easier DON"T FLUSH PAPER.

My wife and I are looking to move there late next year. Living in the us, our first reaction to hearing about this was "OMG, we can't live like that". But from what I have read, people adjust to putting it in a waste can.

2 minutes ago, ccw said:

My wife and I are looking to move there late next year. Living in the us, our first reaction to hearing about this was "OMG, we can't live like that". But from what I have read, people adjust to putting it in a waste can.

Let's restate your "people adjust "...a few people may but I would suggest the majority do not. A disgusting special feature your real estate  agent will not share

31 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Let's restate your "people adjust "...a few people may but I would suggest the majority do not. A disgusting special feature your real estate  agent will not share

It isn't as bad as it sounds. It does not smell. Change the bag with the poopy parer often.

15 minutes ago, johanson said:

Where I live I upper Ajijic I was told twenty years ago that I could flush TP down the drain. I have large sewer pipes. I have never had a problem.

Pete it would take a  week for  any down  stream problem to back up into you 1st floor loo, meantime the peon's living "down town " ...loo's are overflowing 

I built my house from scratch and have a pre-digester tank which then goes into a seep tank (built of concrete blocks). I have always flushed poopy t.p. The pee paper goes in the basket so as not to overload the system, which has never required pumping or any other maintenance or repair in the 10 years since it was built. I could not live with poopy paper in a basket.

I've been here so long and go to the USA so seldom that it's hard for me to adjust to flushing paper when I'm there.  I'm always looking around for the basket and then--oh yeah, it's different there.  Weird.

Both my homes in northern California have proper US style septic systems, and I use the same eco-TP as the state parks that surround us, and while it is 'ergonomically' inferior to the normal commercial stuff, it does the trick and seems to just disintegrate in water.  I will be designing a home at the top of the hill in SJC eventually, and hope to overbuild all it's systems to have the least negative impact.  The street is so steep, using the sewer system US style would be like attacking Poland flying a Stuka...

10 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Pete it would take a  week for  any down  stream problem to back up into you 1st floor loo, meantime the peon's living "down town " ...loo's are overflowing 

My architect checked with Simapa and I was told where I live, I can flush TP down the toilet because as long as I use TP that breaks down, that the sewer pipes are large enough to handle TP.

All you can do is ask the seller or landlord or previous tenants and hope they tell you the truth.  We have owned 2 houses in lower Ajijic and flush paper at both.   One was a total remodel in the early 2000's and the other is a house built by expats 20 or so years ago to fairly high standards.  Neither on septic.  

It's not a question of "telling the truth". How many people have any idea what kind of pipes they have, unless repair work has been required, or they built it themselves? I've lived in my own place, and several rentals, over 20 years, and the rule is "Don't flush toilet paper."

Why take a chance? Why fight what everyone else knows already? Really, coming here and trying to change it to "your way" is so unnecessary, for anything Mexican. It was here long before we were.

In the end, there will be problems. It may take a while, but it will happen.

I think this is another Mexican myth that freaks out Gringos here. Yes, there are some problems in the barrios but in the more "livable" areas there should be no problem. I have lived in a maybe 50 year old house for 10 years with absolutely no problem. If you are concerned why not test to see if there will be a problem. If there is then a plunger or a Rotter Rooter type guy can take care of it, but at least you will know. If you are in a rental and there is a problem, I would think that any plumbing problem will be covered in your agreement. Another "The sky is falling" scenario that so often happens here. Don't believe it! 

Archived