Chapala.com Webboard

Airline Tourism Tax Rebate

mexwanabe

It's Air Canada, so of course there is no procedure and of course they make it almost impossible. Last time I dealt with them regarding this, I first called Air Canada in Mexico when I was ready to book a ticket, since I was booking Mexico-Canada and return. The agent was very nice, said, oh just call Air Canada in Canada before you take the return.

An hour of holding until someone finally answered. Then when I explained that I needed the tourism tax credited back and why, the agent told me she had "never heard of such a thing". I informed her that all the other airlines have a procedure for this and that is is illegal for them charge it to a Mexican resident. She then asked me to hold, came back to the phone a few minutes later, told me she had just conferred with 5 other agents, who had all been working there for at least 13 years and that none of them had ever heard of it either.

In the end I got it back through the online resolution dept. Had to scan a copy of my residency.

Sounds like a good government in action. Make it really difficult and then a certain percentage of people will just give up. I'm sure your "win" in online resolution resulted in them notifying all agents, right?...............NOT!    <_<

Will be interesting to read what the OP posts after their phone conversation with Air Canada. I'm not holding my breath.  I'm assuming each government other than Mexico gets a "cut" for collecting the tax. Maybe not.

i made mistake and put my US address on the website for buying airline for american airlines.

i was charged the tourist fee. within  3 hours i realized it when i read my booking flight costs on the email  they sent me

i called them and gave them my permanentee number the number AND THEY CORRECTED IT.

NEXT TIME I CHECKED THE BOX RESidENT OF MEXICO WHEN BUYING ticket form the a,merican airlines site , THEY DID NOT CHARGE ME THE TOURIST FEE.

12 hours ago, johanson said:

I have the same problem when flying with either United or American Airlines. It's been going on for more than 10 years with me.

Oh I'm from the US and mostly fly out of Seattle when heading to Mexico

Pete, you can get the credit online with United fairly easily.  They have told me I must wait until all legs of flight are completed, but they do process the credit quickly once they accept my request.  

I assume yo

15 hours ago, ericurmudgeon said:

How much is the fee please. 

I assume you were asking how much the tourist tax to be refunded is.  My last two refunds were $21.13 from American and $21.73 from United.  The difference has to do with the exchange rate when you paid it.

22 hours ago, mudgirl said:

It's Air Canada, so of course there is no procedure and of course they make it almost impossible. Last time I dealt with them regarding this, I first called Air Canada in Mexico when I was ready to book a ticket, since I was booking Mexico-Canada and return. The agent was very nice, said, oh just call Air Canada in Canada before you take the return.

An hour of holding until someone finally answered. Then when I explained that I needed the tourism tax credited back and why, the agent told me she had "never heard of such a thing". I informed her that all the other airlines have a procedure for this and that is is illegal for them charge it to a Mexican resident. She then asked me to hold, came back to the phone a few minutes later, told me she had just conferred with 5 other agents, who had all been working there for at least 13 years and that none of them had ever heard of it either.

In the end I got it back through the online resolution dept. Had to scan a copy of my residency.

It's as simple as calling customer service explaining your issue to them, they will tell you to scan your ticket and residence card,  give you a file number and email address. Usually takes a couple of weeks then the refund us credited back to your credit card...

I see what I am doing wrong. United, American etc has my home address as Seattle, WA. where I am1/3rd of the time. Thank you all for posting the above solutions.  I make the trip 3 times per year and can save some  $63 plus dollars per year 

1 hour ago, johanson said:

I see what I am doing wrong. United, American etc has my home address as Seattle, WA. where I am1/3rd of the time. Thank you all for posting the above solutions.  I make the trip 3 times per year and can save some  $63 plus dollars per year 

United has my US address...that's not a problem.  Go to united.com's refund section.  They will want your ticket number and proof of your RP....you upload a scan of your RP.  That's all it takes.  

3 hours ago, johanson said:

Pete, on the AA website go to Receipts and Refunds way at the bottom of their homepage, then scroll down a bit to Request refund or status check. Put in your long 16 digit ticket number (found in your reservation or on your CC statement billing line for the charge,) your name, submit an attachment with your RT or RP card scan (both sides) and they'll credit the $24-27 back to your CC within a few days.  If you ever fly with FF miles however, for some odd reason they make you send in a paper request to Phoenix; that instruction is there too.  It's credited back just as fast however once they get the copy and the same info you input on the site for paid tickets.

4 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

It's as simple as calling customer service explaining your issue to them, they will tell you to scan your ticket and residence card,  give you a file number and email address. Usually takes a couple of weeks then the refund us credited back to your credit card...

You wrote this in response to my post, which you quoted, but seemingly didn't read? It was about as far from simple as you could get. Air Canada customer service takes anywhere from 1-4 hours to actually answer the phone- they just put you on endless hold. And no, they DID NOT tell me to scan my ticket, etc. They told me that they had never heard of such a thing. Jeesh.

19 hours ago, mudgirl said:

You wrote this in response to my post, which you quoted, but seemingly didn't read? It was about as far from simple as you could get. Air Canada customer service takes anywhere from 1-4 hours to actually answer the phone- they just put you on endless hold. And no, they DID NOT tell me to scan my ticket, etc. They told me that they had never heard of such a thing. Jeesh.

Maybe it was your attitude when speaking with customer service. I find it pays to be civil while speaking with them rather than trying to show them how superior you think you are to them.  

It worked for me,  received my refund in approximatly 2 weeks.

For Alaska Airlines you ask for Customer Care rather than Customer service and you can get your money back.  This is the only way to get your money back. It is impossible to do this at the airport.  I know I tried many times.   Customer Care not Customer Service is the secret for Alaska Airlines.

6 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

Maybe it was your attitude when speaking with customer service. I find it pays to be civil while speaking with them rather than trying to show them how superior you think you are to them.  

It worked for me,  received my refund in approximatly 2 weeks.

Excuse me? Now you are going to assume that I spoke to them in a superior, uncivil way? You seem to be the one taking a superior attitude here. Did it ever occur to you that maybe your call was answered by an agent who actually was informed and competent, as opposed to one I got who insisted that she had never heard of such a thing and that Air Canada doesn't refund the tourism tax to Mexican residents? As to Air Canada customer service phone wait times, I suggest you google how people have been put on hold for 6 hours.

Archived