Chapala.com Webboard

Canadian butter tarts

Derek Turford

On 10/20/2017 at 12:17 PM, nutz said:

Good luck in your new venture.

Perhaps someone on this board could explain to me what a Canadian butter tart is as opposed to any other butter tart.

from the Toronto Sun " Still, if there's one food that establishes our national identity - I'd have to say it's the butter tart! It's certainly part of our heritage and as Canadian as you can get. With just a handful of ingredients you get what many call one of this country's most quintessential desserts. It's ooey and gooey and sweet and sexy. And beyond delicious. Runny or firm, plain or with raisins or currents, butter or - dare I say it? - lard-based crust, when you think of a defining Canadian staple, its gotta be this darling. "  OR

Food Network " Known around the world as a uniquely Canadian dessert, butter tarts are one of the tastiest things to come out of the True North. Nothing beats the flaky pastry filled with a perfectly sticky-sweet centre. Whether you prefer them plain, studded with raisins or turned into a cheesecake"

My dad likes his with currants, frozen (otherwise he will eat them all in one sitting), microwave for 30secs then he calls them 'steamers', micro them toooo long and there is a whole lotta swearing goin - damn that's hot.

On 10/18/2017 at 11:48 AM, ned small said:

I think Derek is asking for ideas of foods that don't require freshness[read hot} at point of purchase and can be taken to vend at markets . Products like poutine need to be totally fresh.. There is a restaurant that makes pierogi but unfortunately only one kind,potato which is the least desirable and cheapest to make but not cheap from that restaurant in Ajijic. The Ukrainians of northeast central Alberta are experts. They aren't expensive at Edmonton Safeway either and go well with garlic kielbasa and sauerkraut if you put sour cream,chopped green onion, and bacon chips over the pierogi. the Ukrainian pronunciation is pierre-o-hee.

They also take considerable expertise to churn out (voice of LOTS of experience here) and they're a little tricky (???why) with Mexican flour. Probably not for a young man setting out to mass-produce stuff he can  consistently and reliably produce and sell.... albeit a nice idea.

What is a butter tart?

At its most basic, a butter tart is simply butter, sugar, syrup, and eggs. The magic happens when these simple ingredients are combined and baked in a pastry shell until golden brown and the filling is semi-solid – or really runny depending on your tastes and baking style. This simple combination is what was featured in the first known printed recipe from the early 1900s. Found in the Royal Victoria Cookbook by The Women’s Auxiliary to the Royal Victoria Hospital located in Barrie, ON, this simple tart has become a staple of the Canadian cuisine landscape.

Kawartha Butter Tart Tour

6 hours ago, Derek Turford said:

I have haha.

But I'm not in the market yet, I'm leaving for a month with my family and plan to launch in to action when I get back.

Derek, no one has asked you, but you can always count on me to ask this question: do you have a work permit?  I wouldn't want you and your butter tarts to run afoul of the law.

10 hours ago, More Liana said:

Derek, no one has asked you, but you can always count on me to ask this question: do you have a work permit?  I wouldn't want you and your butter tarts to run afoul of the law.

His father has been here for many years,does real estate rents cars so Derek may have even been born here so that's perhaps why nobody has asked.

26 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Being totally ignorant about what a Canadian butter tart is, the recipe sounds like a pecan pie without the pecans. Since that is to me the best part, I look forward to tasting the tarts.

My friend's wife puts pecans and raisins in hers . Some people use walnuts. And the tarts are not the same as pecan pie. She let me take home 2 of hers this week as well as some choc chip peanut butter cookies.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, kgreenbury said:

Another suggestion, if you've got a good, reliable pastry recipe for the tarts, you might sell ready-made shells, as some of us just aren't talented that way.  My last effort was all over me, the floor, the ceiling and the cat.  

Yes, I would definitely love to see ready-made pastry shells.  I've got my mother's butter tart recipe (which is awesome!), but I'm not good at making pastry.

On 11/23/2017 at 10:07 PM, kgreenbury said:

Another suggestion, if you've got a good, reliable pastry recipe for the tarts, you might sell ready-made shells, as some of us just aren't talented that way.  My last effort was all over me, the floor, the ceiling and the cat.  

HAHAHAHA, I totally understand you, do not ask me how i burned my gloves when i was a kid jajaja.

I'll take that in to account.

Thanks

Archived