Chapala.com Webboard

Doctor recomendations for hip replacement

4 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Now you have me scared, Cedros.  I have not had hip surgery, but several other types, including six or eight eye surgeries.  Is my life in danger now.  Tell me quickly, as today is my 80th birthday and I want to look forward to tomorrow.  :P

Happy 80th Birthday, RVG!    You're amazing!  

What I was trying to say is that they do complicated and maybe pointless surgery on people who aren't going to live much longer. A waste of resources as there are people who could use it more effectively for years. 

3 minutes ago, cedros said:

What I was trying to say is that they do complicated and maybe pointless surgery on people who aren't going to live much longer. A waste of resources as there are people who could use it more effectively for years. 

Funny, I just read yesterday that the NHS (in Great Britain) has moved in that same direction, banning smokers and the obese from getting surgery unless it is imperative. Healthcare is not unlimited so if not rationed by the laws of supply and demand in a capitalistic fashion, somehow another method of deciding who gets and who doesn't has to be devised. Love it or hate it, here it comes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/17/nhs-provokes-fury-indefinite-surgery-ban-smokers-obese/

1 hour ago, cedros said:

Various things. Mainly cancer.

15 minutes ago, cedros said:

Doctors do and should take into account terminal diseases the patient has at the time of hip replacement surgery or any major surgery.  Not sure if that's what you mean, or if you're saying at age 75 or 80 or 85 or 90 that an otherwise healthy person should not be allowed to have hip replacement surgery??  Or heart bypass?  Or cataract surgery, etc?

We all have an expiration date but it is not stamped on our forehead.  I would not deny an otherwise healthy person (including mentally fit) from having major surgery at least up until age 90.  Even then there could be exceptions.  

My mother and her siblings lived to be  91, 92, 93, and 100.  And in each case they were physically and mentally active up until a month or two before they died.  

At what age do you think a person should be denied surgery??

Archived