Chapala.com Webboard

Crackdown on Golf Carts

I, for one, don't have any resentment of golf carts per se, so long as they follow the rules of the road and the regulations that car owners are obliged to follow already.  As a car owner,  I have to pay a number of fees to stay legal, but that's just the way it is.  I did move here on purpose and haven't done a thing to encourage my host country to change in order to suit my idea of the way things "should" be, and frankly, I don't understand the folks who spend time and energy on those wishes.  The obvious question in this case is "why not move to one of those communities in the U.S. described by another poster where golf carts are the normal transportation and a sample of such a community is shown in an previous post"?

It's a hackneyed thing to say since it's been said on many topics, but honestly........why did SYSY move to Mexico?:huh:

• Like 1

I'm with you, Gringal. It's not a hangup about golf carts, it's a reaction to so many people thinking they know better.

I'm still laughing, because the GR article specifically states they are prohibited, which means there is a law. And I'm roaring over the comment about "there are only a few transitos, so it shouldn't be a bother..." Right. The fewer officers there are, the more laws I can break and get away with.

And the price quoted to get license and tags, at $6,000, for Mexico state... wow. Fuggeddaboudit.

6 hours ago, SYSY said:

Thanks once again for all the feedback and the insurance issue is a valid point - it is possible to get hurt or even killed with a golf cart - but it is not the possibility that requires insurance - its the probability.

The probability is very low - there are many things that have a low probability of doing damage that do not require insurance to operate. A sail boat for example or even a motorboat. 

But I think a practical test is in order. You stand 20 feet from my golf cart and I'll head toward you at full speed - if you can't get out of the way in time, you are far too slow to be safely walking around here!

Then, let's take a new Suburban and try the same test with double the distance (40 feet)- I'll drive straight at you full power and you need to get away - bonus points if you don't crap yourself.

If you feel like  you need insurance, buy it. I'm self insured - if I do damage, I'll pay for it.

Blame the victim....sheesh!  

I witnessed this: an elderly couple  had double-parked their golf cart behind a car parked legally in front of El Torito (both nose in).  I saw them get into their cart with their shopping bags, and put the car into drive and damage the car parked legally in front of them.  I watched as they finally found reverse, and sped away.  Neither got out to see if there was damage (it shook the car pretty badly).  What I took away from this incident was that had someone been WALKING in front of this cart, they would have gotten nailed.  I'm in good shape, walk 2+ miles a day, but at my age I now longer bounce off of pavement.  If a golf cart were to knock me or my loved one down and that person was uninsured, as much as I detest law suits I would sue the @@@ off that person.   Falls for anyone after age 55 can be traumatic; bones don't heal like they did when we were younger.  Anyone driving a golf cart around here better understand the consequences if they are not insured.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Xena said:

All this commentary is interesting but irrelevant. It is not a handful of foreigners on a web board who are making the rules for golf carts on public roads. The Mexican authorities are making and enforcing laws in their communities. So explain and justify all you want. It will change nothing. 

This thread could get as long as the toilet paper thread but this is the bottom line.  If the local guys don't want golf carts on the local roads, that is what is going to happen.  Period.  Xena nailed it.  Ignore at your own peril.

Thumb your nose long enough by breaking the law and don't be surprised when your cart finally does get dragged away by the Transitos. Then you can pontificate the virtues of carts until you are blue in the face in court, trying to get it back so it can sit parked in your yard. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thanks for all the feedback everyone - I'm starting to actually feel like I'm trolling people here now so I started a new Topic for those that are interested in golf carts and are considering using them here at Lakeside. http://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?/topic/74089-golf-carting-in-ajijicsan-antonio/#comment-554734

I'd love to address all the negative comments here, but would rather focus on the positive - I understand your position and many have made valid negative points against carts, but I maintain that, in the balance they are safe, economical, fun and a good choice for a certain segment here at Lake Side. I understand most people feel the need to have a car, but I'm not one of them.

As for those questioning my reasons for living in Mexico: In Mexico you get to do what you want for the most part without a million rules and regulations.This has its good and bad sides and I've been affected by both. But I've lived here on and off for more than 20 years, with the good and the bad and I still love it - Mexico need not change for me. I speak fluent Spanish, help everyone I can, provide good jobs to locals and generally try to be a good citizen of Mexico - which is now what I am. Mexico is not perfect nor does it try to be - Mexico is Mexico and I love it the way it is - warts and all. 

I think most of you posting feel and act the the same way at some level or wouldn't even be here.

Thanks again for all your comments!

• Thanks 6
  • Sad 1

On 10/21/2017 at 5:39 PM, artsnob said:

As for accidents, a month ago a senior citizen rear ended a bus, veared off and hit pedestrians, thankfully no one seriously injured, but driver was 85 years old and had eyesight problems and should not be driving anything, the pólice took the vehicle to the pòund---

Thank goodness the driver was in a light weight golfcart and not an automoble as she could have been.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

“And the price quoted to get license and tags, at $6,000, for Mexico state... wow. Fuggeddaboudit.”

It was only a matter of time. On local expat Facebook page a proud golf cart owner proclaimed that all cart owners here can pay a facilitator 6000 pesos and get Mexico plates for their golf carts. She did it. Asked if they were legal for Jalisco residents and would they be recognized by local police she said they had an agreement with the police commander. Here we go again!

• Haha 1

• 4 years later...
58 minutes ago, John Clayton bales said:

So is there just no point in a senior even thinking about buying a golf cart to use in Ajijic or Chapala anymore??!

Don't you dare screw up the already bad traffic. Ya can't even use it on main thoroughfares, in any event. Thankfully I haven't seen one around for a long time. Get a quad.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, John Clayton bales said:

So is there just no point in a senior even thinking about buying a golf cart to use in Ajijic or Chapala anymore??!

See them in my lower Ajijic neighborhood frequently.  I don't see them on the carretera.  I have no problem with them on the back streets here, easy to travel from west side right into La Floresta without going on any main streets.  

• Like 1

Back in 2007, our solution was a Smart Car. Loved it! Even though we also had an SUV, we used the Smart Car for trips to the USA, as it was much more economical.....and fun, since the USA didn't get them until a year later. 

3 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Don't you dare screw up the already bad traffic. Ya can't even use it on main thoroughfares, in any event. Thankfully I haven't seen one around for a long time. Get a quad.

I see them every single day, more on Wednesdays. Safer than a quad, especially when the young folks, (from 9 years on), are driving. They do not go on the carretera so no chance of them clogging traffic. Of course, another small car will as will a quad.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, luvsdawgs said:

I see them every single day, more on Wednesdays. Safer than a quad, especially when the young folks, (from 9 years on), are driving. They do not go on the carretera so no chance of them clogging traffic. Of course, another small car will as will a quad.

Safer for who?  Quads and small cars can keep up to traffic,golf carts can't. Majority of quad drivers are adult. Your prejudice is showing re: the youngster nonsense. My 2013 fix it again tony has a top speed of 110 mi./hr. Golf carts ain't no efren road machine

fiat ocho.jpg

3 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Safer for who?  Quads and small cars can keep up to traffic,golf carts can't. Majority of quad drivers are adult. Your prejudice is showing re: the youngster nonsense. My 2013 fix it again tony has a top speed of 110 mi./hr. Golf carts ain't no efren road machine

fiat ocho.jpg

The golf carts do not need to keep up with traffic as the are only used on back roads. The golf carts are safer for the people on the street as well as the driver and passengers who, as noted, may be 9 or 10 years old. I see these little kids driving, mainly Quads, with a whole bunch of other little kids hanging on as passengers. This is not prejudice, I do not own either one. YOU do not see them as you are on the main drag. Just because YOU do not see them does not mean they do not exist.

• Like 3

On 10/23/2017 at 4:43 PM, AngusMactavish said:

Those carts do have a problem...

So avoid demolition derbies and hill climbs.   "Check".      

Definitely agree with everyone they should be kept on the side streets and off the carraterra, for both safety reasons and avoiding fine$.

Lithium ion batteries are now available @ great pricing and we have converted a number of different types of golf carts in the area over from lead acid, and the owners are very pleased  >>>  feel free to email or PM for info.

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2022 at 3:26 PM, Go Solar said:

So avoid demolition derbies and hill climbs.   "Check".      

Definitely agree with everyone they should be kept on the side streets and off the carraterra, for both safety reasons and avoiding fine$.

Lithium ion batteries are now available @ great pricing and we have converted a number of different types of golf carts in the area over from lead acid, and the owners are very pleased  >>>  feel free to email or PM for info.

I have PMed you once and emailed most recently with no reply. Did you receive email?