Chapala.com Webboard

Because getting my aunt into a nursing home in the Chapala area appears to be more complicated than I thought, I wonder if it would make sense to get a larger apartment so that we could live together. Our combined Social Securities are US$3000 per month. Assuming we could find a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apt or Casita for about $800  a month, that would leave us with quite a bit to pay a caregiver after we account for our basic expenses - I hope!

my aunt is 92 and has mild dementia but is in really good physical shape. She uses a cane and has partial blindness in one eye but other than that she is healthy, easy-going, cooperative and actually quite a bit of fun. She has all her ADL's intact.

I have been her caregiver for a year and a half and know that I will need to get out of the house a lot in order to do a good job and maintain my sanity. How much could I expect to pay a Caregiver per hour? What would be a decent amount – I'd rather pay more than the paltry minimum-wage but have to keep in mind my own limited resources.

Just in case this doesn't work out, it would be great to find out from actual people what they think of the assisted-living/nursing homes in the area. We are seriously considering Mi Casita in San Antonio. Any opinions about it?

Thanks!

In my opinion Mi Casita  is top notch.  Great family style homey atmosphere & wonder staff.  Mina who owns the place is  terrific.  Obviously you have made inquire re rates etc.  I had one friend there for almost two years until recently & have another there now.  We could not be more pleased with the care & attention she receives.  In fact last Wed. one of the guys who works there drove her (she is in a wheel chair)  to meet nine of us in a restaurant.  You can ask about additional services they provide, hairdresser, drive to medical appts.  etc.

Mina is on site everyday & lives directly across the street in case of emergencies.  Her rates are very competitive.

12 hours ago, Margo said:

Because getting my aunt into a nursing home in the Chapala area appears to be more complicated than I thought, I wonder if it would make sense to get a larger apartment so that we could live together. Our combined Social Securities are US$3000 per month. Assuming we could find a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apt or Casita for about $800  a month, that would leave us with quite a bit to pay a caregiver after we account for our basic expenses - I hope!

my aunt is 92 and has mild dementia but is in really good physical shape. She uses a cane and has partial blindness in one eye but other than that she is healthy, easy-going, cooperative and actually quite a bit of fun. She has all her ADL's intact.

I have been her caregiver for a year and a half and know that I will need to get out of the house a lot in order to do a good job and maintain my sanity. How much could I expect to pay a Caregiver per hour? What would be a decent amount – I'd rather pay more than the paltry minimum-wage but have to keep in mind my own limited resources.

Just in case this doesn't work out, it would be great to find out from actual people what they think of the assisted-living/nursing homes in the area. We are seriously considering Mi Casita in San Antonio. Any opinions about it?

Thanks!

Sent you a PM

You may wish to consider having a daily help who will  do so some  house cleaning and cooking etc , and keep  an eye on Mum. These treasures do exist for say 500 pesos a day or less than 1000USD a month

Many nursing homes charge  more for folks with  Dementia because they wander.

I think the NH in San Juan Cosalary, O'HARA?  will be your least expensive

Good luck I am  sure something will work out for you

4 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

You may wish to consider having a daily help who will  do so some  house cleaning and cooking etc , and keep  an eye on Mum. These treasures do exist for say 500 pesos a day or less than 1000USD a month

Many nursing homes charge  more for folks with  Dementia because they wander.

I think the NH in San Juan Cosalary, O'HARA?  will be your least expensive

Good luck I am  sure something will work out for you

I think that might be Ohana.  I knew of someone cared for there and understand his wife was pleased with the care, even during unscheduled drop-in visits.

Thanks so much for your helpful responses! My aunt can still manage  all of her activities of daily living and has mild dementia that does not interfere with her ability to live normally. We have decided on Mi Casita in San Antonio which l visited on my recent research trip to Chapala. The hope is that as she gets older they will be able to increase her level of care if need be. 

I am truly impressed and touched by the helpfulness of the people on this web for it. Thanks again

I think you made a good choice. I know a few people who are there now and are very happy. Mi Casita brings some of them to church every Sunday and they have the occasional outing to a restaurant. I sometimes pick up a friend and we go to the movies, another friend picks someone up for concerts and the like. The staff at MC always has them ready to go and help them into the car as needed. I am sure your Aunt will like it there. It sounds as if she is able to walk to the plaza which is a very pleasant place to be and spend some time watching the world go by.  

Archived