Chapala.com Webboard

Permanente Status

sunshine1

We have been preapproved by the Mexican Consulate in Canada for our permanente.  I know that within 30 days of our arrival we need to present ourselves at the INM office.   Does the woman at LCS on Monday and Tuesday charge for her services to facilitate the process .  Or has anyone used the woman at the papeleria in San Antonio Tlayacapan who helps you download the appropriate forms, fills them out, etc......  We are optimistic that we can do it on our own with a little bit of help.  Any thoughts?

That is a couple of options but if you really want to experience Mexican culture and lifestyle, you need to drive from one place and back, stand in long lines just to find out that you don't have want you need. hahaha

Pay no attention to the nay-sayers. I, a un-ilingual Cdn like you, have just received my RP and it could not have been easier. Fill in the form on line, which is not difficult, go to the office twice and then pick up your visa.

You don't need a facilator, you don't need a maid or a gardener, or a car washer..  But if you don't want to do it yourself ..why not hire someone to stand in line for you.. 

Its one of the pleasures of living in Mexico, you don't don't have to do theses menial things yourself...

Until you have to sign something, or have your fingerprints taken.....

Yes, the entire process is easy, and can even be fun. You will meed other new folks, and older expats renewing, so why not make some new friends?

Lots of ways to deal with the bureaucracy and whatever way you choose to do it will be fine. We always did it ourselves until we moved to the coast. There, the immigration office was on the second floor... walk up, no elevators and my husband couldn't do it.

I am so glad that I'm DONE with immigration. Getting our "Inmigrado" in Guadalajara in 2012 was the last straw. We were warned to empty our bladders before getting up to the 7th (?) floor because there were no public washrooms up there. Still, we had to wait so long, that I had to take the stairs down to the basement level and WALK back up to the 7th floor... because the elevators were now not running. Wait some more and then, finally, be done and ready to leave. Except the elevators were still not working and there was no way in hell that my husband could walk down seven flights of stairs. Some executive took pity on him and let him use his private elevator.

So, yeah, the "process" can be simple and doable all by yourself.... it's all the other things that happen that can turn it into a nightmare.

Only my opinion but paying folks to do what's you can do yourself  takes away learning opportunities . If you're  wanting to be a  'Permanent  Resident' of Mexico  why do like a helpless tourist? And It's  really so easy.  Visit 1. waited 5 minutes to speak with clerk (speaks English very well) & pick up instructions - printed & highlighted step by step instructions for their website. The on-line application has maybe half a dozen easy questions (name,address, sex, marital status...)  Visit 2. Waited 5 minutes to hand in required docs (pics, copies of passport, receipt from bank..) & get them reviewed/OK'd . Visit 3 - waited 10 minutes to get fingerprints.   that being said perhaps it's all too much for an elderly person , or you can't  spare the time or just can't be bothered. . . If so facilitators are inexpensive - about $300 p. Personal choice 

The whole system has been enormously improved and streamlined. I just wanted to point out that it has not always been that way for those who scoff at the need for facilitators but don't understand the reasons behind them. YMMV.

We went to the papeleria in San Antonio Tlayacapan (just a few doors west of the south end of the plaza).  It costs a fraction of processing through a lawyer.  You’ll need to bring your passport and the return INM form that you normally have to hand in at the airport when you return home.  You’ll also need proof of address (utility bills). The owner there will give you a form to fill out showing your name, address, weight, height, etc., and she’ll ask you to return at a later time.

When you return she’ll have all the forms filled out for you.  You then have to head to a bank and give them the payment form and pay your fees (4,500 pesos each at time of writing).  The bank will give you a receipt.  You have to then obtain two copies of the receipt (back and front). Now head to the INM office!  I have a full write-up of the process which we experienced in July/Aug of this year, if anyone is interested.  Joyce

It may be the only immigration document you will ever need.  You can do it yourself or hire someone.  Why take risks.  We see alot of people who mess up and then are in a bind.  The people at LCS are facilitators like we are only they have no office so you get zero local support on a daily basis.  My firm has a bit of a guarantee, if we handle your papers and you did your part correctly and you are denied or immigration makes a mistake, we file the appeal for free, and we win our appeals which means you dont have to leave the country.  I stand by my advice.  If you are short on cash it is one thing or if you like to do things yourself like wash your car, change the oil, do your tax returns.  In can be an experience, some people dont do frustration well and others would rather sleep in or play golf or go to a Michael Bolton concert or the dentist, anything but dealing with the government. 

8 hours ago, Intercasa said:

It may be the only immigration document you will ever need.  You can do it yourself or hire someone.  Why take risks.  We see alot of people who mess up and then are in a bind.  The people at LCS are facilitators like we are only they have no office so you get zero local support on a daily basis.  My firm has a bit of a guarantee, if we handle your papers and you did your part correctly and you are denied or immigration makes a mistake, we file the appeal for free, and we win our appeals which means you dont have to leave the country.  I stand by my advice.  If you are short on cash it is one thing or if you like to do things yourself like wash your car, change the oil, do your tax returns.  In can be an experience, some people dont do frustration well and others would rather sleep in or play golf or go to a Michael Bolton concert or the dentist, anything but dealing with the government. 

Michael Boltons real name is Michael Bolotin. I went to school with him in New Haven, CT. Wonderful mom. Two beautiful daughters.:)

On 10/13/2017 at 6:45 PM, sunshine1 said:

We have been preapproved by the Mexican Consulate in Canada for our permanente.  I know that within 30 days of our arrival we need to present ourselves at the INM office.   Does the woman at LCS on Monday and Tuesday charge for her services to facilitate the process .  Or has anyone used the woman at the papeleria in San Antonio Tlayacapan who helps you download the appropriate forms, fills them out, etc......  We are optimistic that we can do it on our own with a little bit of help.  Any thoughts?

I agree wholeheartedly with Spencer. This may actually be the only immigration document you will ever need. There are many ways to experience the culture here.  Messing up on a legal document, not having everything filled out correctly, etc., etc., then getting frustrated with the system, the language, the employees, isn't a good start to your new life in Mexico. Be wise, hire someone qualified, like Spencer for this process. Then relax and start enjoying paradise.

Archived