Chapala.com Webboard

Bringing large cat to Aijic

I am moving to Aijic in the near future and bringing my main coon with me. I know about all the shots and the medical requirements. What concerns me is getting foxy there. I don't think he will fit under airline seat and I don't want to put him in the cargo as I have heard horror stories.  Has anyone gone through this process and figured out what to do? It might actually be less expensive to buy him a separate seat than to drive down and drive back up to bring  to the Albuquerque because I don't want a car when I'm living in the Chapala area. Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks!

I don't know why he wouldn't fit under the seat. Back in the day, when I was showing cats, Maine Coon owners flew with their cats in cabin all the time.

Each airline is a bit different, but I would consider a softside bag so you can stand the bag up to show the cat that stand up and lay on its side under the seat. Get the biggest one you can find and figure he may be a bit uncomfortable for a few hours. Use a people diaper to line the bottom and have a spare in case it's needed. Give the cat Rescue Remedy drops to calm him. NO FOOD for at least 8-10 hours before the flight but he can have water before the flight. I don't think they let you buy a seat for a pet. Try for a direct flight. They have a 20 lb weight limit for some airlines.

Thanks to all of you for your responses! Wow, what wonderful people there are in my soon-to-be new home!

Foxy weighs 21 pounds. The lightest carrier will weigh a couple of pounds. The airline limit - and they do weigh your pet - is 20 pounds. I wish I were as confident as you are but I can think of nothing worse than being stopped at the boarding gate and denied passage.

I will be flying either Aeromexico, Volaris or Viva but can't find any details about their regulations regarding pets.

8 hours ago, Margo Morado said:

Thanks to all of you for your responses! Wow, what wonderful people there are in my soon-to-be new home!

Foxy weighs 21 pounds. The lightest carrier will weigh a couple of pounds. The airline limit - and they do weigh your pet - is 20 pounds. I wish I were as confident as you are but I can think of nothing worse than being stopped at the boarding gate and denied passage.

I will be flying either Aeromexico, Volaris or Viva but can't find any details about their regulations regarding pets.

can't find any details about their regulations  Then you'd best be getting on the PHONE with each of them to confirm reg's, prices, etc.! (and  weight in cabin at same time)

Archived