Chapala.com Webboard

Best Motel/Closest to GDL Airport

Bisbee Gal

Do they want to spend the night in Guadalajara, or in a highway hotel near the airport.  Note that the airport is half way between Chapala and Guadalajara, so a taxi to either place is a wash.  There are no hotels located at the airport.

1 hour ago, Irish Gal said:

I'd vote for the Hampton Inn.   We've stayed there and it was excellent.  They also had a free shuttle to the airport if it's more convenient for you to pick them up there.

Thanks, the shuttle will be good for them, too.  

On 10/13/2017 at 4:35 PM, AngusMactavish said:

Both those are north of the airport, miles north of the it. The Hangar Inn is the closest, just across the highway.  http://hoteles-hangarinn.com/

Have seen that place on going into the city lately  so glad you posted the link. Looks perfectly adequate to me, and yes, is right across from the entrance to the airport so what could be better?

Will consider for next 4 am flight out!

8 minutes ago, El Saltos said:

The Hanger likely won't have a courtesy van.  Good luck getting a taxi to take you just outside the airport grounds!

Such negativity. Google Translate their website where it says in part:

Transportation services

Our location in front of the GUADALAJARA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (2km) gives us more elements to serve you better and offer the transfers from the hotel to your gateway at the airport, avoiding traffic and delays .

Ask about our schedules and costs.

• The hotel staff will wait for you with a banner with your name on arrival at the airport

The simple solution is to send them written directions to your house, in Spanish, and let them take a taxi from the airport. Quick, simple and cheaper than a hotel, for sure.  Sure, it will be late, but they will be at your place just about as quickly as a hotel room after the taxi and check-in.  There are options, of course, and maybe they just feel that they would prefer not to keep you up late.

At my age, anything after suppertime is late, so I understand.

After having several guests at our B&B complain that the directions (in Spanish) that we sent to them were not accurate (according to their taxi drivers), we visited our Spanish teacher in SA. Lupita looked them over and said they were perfect. Do they speak a different Spanish in Guadalajara we asked? No, but why would you assume every taxi driver knows how to read was her answer. Do you think said driver would admit that to a passenger? Aha, mystery solved. Maybe nowadays that is not so prevalent as it was 10-15 years ago.

22 minutes ago, John-in-Vallarta said:

I thought the Hanger Inn did not have a lounge or restaurant...

Services

We have a wide variety of first class services to make your stay in Guadalajara as pleasant as possible .

Recreation and recreation
- Sports equipment 
- Restaurant and bar with cold bar 
- Grocer 
- Smart Tv 
- Commercial Plaza

Transportation and accessibility
- Elevator 
- Wheelchair access 
- Car Park 
- Valet parking 
- Car rental

ALL OUR ROOMS AND COMMON AREAS HAVE WI-FI

5 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

After having several guests at our B&B complain that the directions (in Spanish) that we sent to them were not accurate (according to their taxi drivers), we visited our Spanish teacher in SA. Lupita looked them over and said they were perfect. Do they speak a different Spanish in Guadalajara we asked? No, but why would you assume every taxi driver knows how to read was her answer. Do you think said driver would admit that to a passenger? Aha, mystery solved. Maybe nowadays that is not so prevalent as it was 10-15 years ago.

2 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Good point.  I guess taxi passengers should carry a translator along; human or electronic.

;)

We always provide both a Spanish and English version of directions.  Our guests give the Spanish one to the taxi driver and follow along with the English version.  They've all made to Ajijic without issue!

I just came home late at night from the airport with a taxi.  I speak Spanish and normally give them the directions as we get into Chapala.  He asked me for my address and put it into Google Maps in his smartphone which directed him right to my place without me saying a word this time!  I doubt there's a taxi driver nowadays without a smartphone.

On 10/16/2017 at 5:14 PM, AngusMactavish said:

Services

We have a wide variety of first class services to make your stay in Guadalajara as pleasant as possible .

Recreation and recreation
- Sports equipment 
- Restaurant and bar with cold bar 
- Grocer 
- Smart Tv 
- Commercial Plaza

Transportation and accessibility
- Elevator 
- Wheelchair access 
- Car Park 
- Valet parking 
- Car rental

ALL OUR ROOMS AND COMMON AREAS HAVE WI-FI

Of course they say all this.  Can anyone verify that it actually exists?

Archived