Chapala.com Webboard

ComputerGuy: Areas with Fiber Internet

ccw

ComputerGuy, Do you know which areas currently have fiber internet? There is a small group of users over at the Facebook Group "Working from home Lakeside" that may be interested in finding a place that has fiber internet. The idea would be to lease/rent a space that has it (apt/casita, etc) so we can telecommute.

This idea is still in its infant stages. Let me know what you think.

"Your suggestion of having a generator is well taken, BUT that really does not address the PROBLEM."

It would address the problem for YOU, however. As for the larger problem there is nothing you personally can do to change it. CFE will improve and upgrade when it will. All the anger, frustration, and complaining by customers will do nothing to hasten the day that CFE will invest in infrastruction and equipment. All you can do is your best to address the issue for you, doing the things that make it better for you. 

1 hour ago, ccw said:

ComputerGuy, Do you know which areas currently have fiber internet? There is a small group of users over at the Facebook Group "Working from home Lakeside" that may be interested in finding a place that has fiber internet. The idea would be to lease/rent a space that has it (apt/casita, etc) so we can telecommute.

This idea is still in its infant stages. Let me know what you think.

No, I can't really say, because I get different reports from everyone. I think the best bet would be to ask Mexico City which areas are fastest around here... even if they can't tell you about fibre, they will know which spots get the better speeds. I have a spreadsheet I prepared some time ago that may give you an idea.

2016 Telmex Speeds SORTED.jpg

3 hours ago, Ferret said:

Confused here. I think you posted in the wrong thread Xena.

This sure is the wrong thread. I have no idea how my post got here. I had not even seen this thread until just now. I was in another thread when I posted that comment. 

After reading here and on several other boards, I heard a few people mention that fiber was being run near Chapala Haciendas and a hotel there. Also the new hospital may get fiber. We are not moving there until late 2018, so I am just doing some research.

ComputerGuy, you chart has me all depressed. We live in Baltimore and Comcast Cable has us at 125mb down and 25mb up. My wife is not doing any video or graphic work, just using a VPN to her work and doing a lot of Excel work.

I saw no indication that TelMex replaced all the wiring in Chapala Haciendas or Brisas de Chapala, because of the hotel and condos. Initially, of course, they would put all that underground, because that is the standard today (even in Mexico). But let's say for argument's sake they were doing it on existing poles: they just did not do that, not at all, to both large fraccs. They might have done some connecting, and I'm sure they've got updated technology at the top end where the construction is, but beyond that? No.

Sorry about the chart, but do keep in mind that you moving pretty much to the middle of nowhere. Because of the high concentration of expats, we do get some special treatment, but not a whole lot. In Guadalajara, they promise speeds of 100 MBps. Here, 40 is the top, and only in a few places. Much of Chapala proper gets better-than-average speed.

Hey, my son works for Bell Canada, and he gets better than 300 Mbps. Now he is moving and, due to infrastructure and different providers, will probably only get 60 Mbps.

CG, my wife and I will be visiting in February 2018 for 2 weeks and planning on moving at the end of the year. If you use your crystal ball, do you think any of the infrastructure will be "upgraded" in certain areas by then?  I would hate to limit where to look for long term rentals based on internet speed as our first priority.  Heck, we would be willing to rent an additional space that has the speeds. Maybe get a few people to chip in.

7 minutes ago, ccw said:

CG, my wife and I will be visiting in February 2018 for 2 weeks and planning on moving at the end of the year. If you use your crystal ball, do you think any of the infrastructure will be "upgraded" in certain areas by then?  I would hate to limit where to look for long term rentals based on internet speed as our first priority.  Heck, we would be willing to rent an additional space that has the speeds. Maybe get a few people to chip in.

CG, while you're looking in that crystal ball, please check the currency rates for next year, the weather, lake level and the results of the mexican elections.

TIA

Pappy

PS  Slim does take your calls, right?

Infrastructure changes are measured in decades, not years.  :lol:

Then, it will still depend upon which house, on which block, how far from the corner Telmex box, and how tight the wires were twisted, and how long ago they were twisted, and how long since the box got wet, and if it gets sunlight to help drying out, and your luck at winning the Publisher‘s Clearinghouse jackpot while in Mexico.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I saw no indication that TelMex replaced all the wiring in Chapala Haciendas or Brisas de Chapala, because of the hotel and condos. Initially, of course, they would put all that underground, because that is the standard today (even in Mexico). 

Unfortunately it is still far from being standard to put it underground. This year Telmex put in zapopan new cables on the existing poles. Also Totalplay recently put a new main fiberglass cable on the poles. Nothing underground however.

5 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

CG, while you're looking in that crystal ball, please check the currency rates for next year, the weather, lake level and the results of the mexican elections.

TIA Pappy PS  Slim does take your calls, right?

in fact, I was just on the phone with him (I had to call him: his line was out of service for some reason), and he told me the currency rates for next year, along with the upgraded areas. Oh, wait: he said "Don't count on it."

5 hours ago, ccw said:

CG, my wife and I will be visiting in February 2018 for 2 weeks and planning on moving at the end of the year. If you use your crystal ball, do you think any of the infrastructure will be "upgraded" in certain areas by then?  I would hate to limit where to look for long term rentals based on internet speed as our first priority.

Sorry, but that is actually the best method right now...

Archived