Chapala.com Webboard

Financial requirements for a couple for a residente temporal

blankletmusic

Rates are per person.  There is no difference, or discount, for couples, but there are ways for a couple to make the move if only one qualifies.  Under vincula familiar, a spouse with a tourist permit may apply for equal status in Mexico, after the first spouse has gone through the visa process to completion.

Hi,

Within Mexico thay dont  apply the income requirement to the partner.

Some consulates allow a lower amount for a spouse. You need to look at the consulate's web site. I have not seen a lower amount written into the law for a spousal application at a consulate. As Spencer noted under family, a spouse is not required to prove financials and applies as per my web site under visas .... Obtaining a Visa Through Marriage to a Visa Holder

Not every couple is “married” - or in a civil or contractual formalized relationship.  Canadian law in the Province of Alberta enshrines same rights for couples like us - straight or gay couples.  We are gay and have been living together for 17 years in Canada and living here in Mexico. One of us has a PR and the other on a tourist 180 day merry-go-round. Does the person with the tourist have to apply for a TR or is he eligible for a PR and does he need to demonstrate financial wherewithal or fall under the the other with the PR.  What evidence is required to prove the relationship - as there is nothing from the Province.  Spencer, Sonia or anyone have some insight on this?

If a Residente Permanente´s spouse applies under the "Vinculo Familiar" law inside Mexico with a 180 day tourist FMM card they are only offered a 1,2,3,or 4 year Residente Temporal visa/card and have to be on a 2 year RT visa/card before they can apply for a RP card. They cannot apply for the same status as their spouse as RV mentioned.

10 minutes ago, John-in-Vallarta said:

AlanMexicali - not sure but I don't think your reply was for my post above?  RVGringo wrote "Under vincula familiar, a spouse with a tourist permit may apply for equal status in Mexico, after the first spouse has gone through the visa process to completion".  Should I start a new thread so as not to muddy the original post?  

No don´t start a new thread. I  was responding to RV´s incorrect answer. In your case yes the spouse with a 180 day tourist FMM card cannot apply for a RP but can apply for a RT for 1,2,3 or 4 years and after 2 years can then apply for a RP which would is your current status.

"Spouse" is an interesting word but not one we use in the Canadian province of Alberta.  It is "Adult Interdependent Partner" which is defined as: "

"adult interdependent partner is the new name in Alberta for a common-law spouse. However, the term encompasses more than heterosexual common-law relationships. It includes same-sex relationships, as well as two non-conjugal persons who live together in a relationship of interdependence. In some circumstances it could even include two members of the same family, or two friends who live together."[1]

According to the Alberta Ministry of Justice, "The act covers a range of personal relationships that fall outside of marriage, including committed platonic relationships where two people agree to share emotional and economic responsibilities."[2] Under the terms of the law, couples in a mutually dependent relationship, conjugal or not, are deemed to be adult interdependent partners after three years of living together, even without signing a partnership agreement, as is the case with common-law marriage."

And hence my question.  And why I said rights are enshrined in law.  I grabbed that from wiki for ease of explanation > http://bit.ly/2idMXOb

Alan is correct; the spouse may only apply for Residente Temporal under vincula familiar in Mexico, and Residente Temporal was specified by the OP in the title of this thread.

Maybe Alan missed that.  :rolleyes:

OK, I see that now.  Sorry if it confused anyone.

In Mexico: Vincula Familiar is only for Residente Temporal for a spouse, & not for an unmarried friend.

Yes, things may be different in other countries. That‘s not relevant.

John at least the INM office in San Miguel would not be able to process a common-law partner under family. Spencer may have more relevant knowledge regarding applying in GDL when spouse is common-law regarding the issue of sponsoring the other.

For those married, with a PR spouse, the other spouse under family with a FMM tourist card may apply as a TR for 1 year, renew after 1 year and then become a PR. Financials are not required. A TR spouse may sponsor a spouse (again no financials) but the spouse applying under family may not become a PR prior to the spouse who is sponsoring the other becomes a PR. In other words, it can take up to 4 years for the sponsored spouse to become a PR.

Here in Chapala / GDL we can do a common law partner if there is a document which evidences said relationship

• 3 weeks later...

I have a related inquiry. My wife and I are going to apply for RTs next year. We can satisfy the bank account / investment amounts listed here and on the website for our local Mexican consulate. My question, though, is how we should present the 12 months of statements. I'm a bit hesitant to just handover original, non-redacted, documents. Did you (or do you recommend) redacting the account numbers or any other information from them? If so, should we make copies and redact those or just redact the originals. Or am I being overly cautious? Thanks in advance for any advice. 

17 minutes ago, Sorn said:

I have a related inquiry. My wife and I are going to apply for RTs next year. We can satisfy the bank account / investment amounts listed here and on the website for our local Mexican consulate. My question, though, is how we should present the 12 months of statements. I'm a bit hesitant to just handover original, non-redacted, documents. Did you (or do you recommend) redacting the account numbers or any other information from them? If so, should we make copies and redact those or just redact the originals. Or am I being overly cautious? Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Confer with the consulate you will use.  Ours (Orlando FL) was very clear that account numbers HAD to be shown on the statements.  We are paperless with all our banks and the consulate accepted the online statements (we printed them in color, FWIW).  We did 'skip' some pages after conferring with the Consulate.  They required statements with account number and showing both the beginning and ending balances, but not other parts of statements (list of deposits, withdrawals, etc.). 

Good point about checking with the locale consulate. Thank you for the information and tips. I can understand if they require full and complete versions of the statements. I'm probably paranoid but I may just have my investment bank shut down transactions for a time period or switch account numbers afterwards. 

Archived