Chapala.com Webboard

Telmex Infinitum Modem

TelMex does not sell modems; they rent them to you as part of your Internet contract. This provides you with a warranty of sorts. Purchasing your own: it is yet to be determined if they will provide help for units purchased elsewhere, because these days they ask for the serial number, and my guess is that is in direct response to people selling them online, so they can refuse service.

On the other hand, their "warranty" pretty much sucks these days, considering the hoops you have to go through to get a replacement.

4 hours ago, chicamysterious said:

Mind if I ask how much did you Pay? Was it the single band double band? (2.4 & 5)

It is a "Modem Technicolor Tg788vn V2 Nuevo Telmex Repetidor"

Its identical to the current modem I have from Telmex. Its new in the package and cost $340 pesos plus shipping.

Who knows where these people are getting their modems from before selling them on Mercado Libre. Most would have to be used. But prices up to and possibly over $900 pesos? It better be new. Here's one that seems unusual: https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-595928118-modem-telmex-los-mas-actuales-nuevos-_JM

On a sidenote, don't buy a dual-band modem for TelMex. They have stopped using them, after they discovered their infrastructure won't support the higher speeds on them. I have one, and it effectively cuts the top speed in half in either band mode.

No, not stupid at all. A good question. The dual bands should be only relative to the in-house use. But TelMex gets their manufacturers to install some kind of special firmware, which is good for TelMex, but which also means you can't use other modems with their service. And whatever they install, for some reason, in the dual-band modems, they crippled the speed cap to be lower than it should... and they can't fix it with software. I sat on the phone with two different techs when these came out, and watched them go a little batty trying to figure it out. Something to do with a botched VDSL setting in the hardware, I think.

EDIT: For those who do not know, a dual-band modem can send it's WiFi signal on two different spectrums. Won't get into the details there, but one of them is better for sending videos, because it is a "fatter" connection. The drawback is, it can't send as far as the other channel. So we use basic stuff like email on the one (2.4 GHz), and heavier stuff like videos on the other (5 GHz). Both bands cannot be used together at the same time on a single device, but they can be used at the same time on different devices.

Econ man not a stupid question, Yes the dual bands have to do with the "User" side of the modem. Simply put compare it to cordless telephones. They had the original ones at 2.4 and now they have them at multiple frequencies and boast better connection, clarity, and greater ranges

Canmex87 that's an excellent price. Can you possibly send me the vendor? As I see you had no problem with delivery. I am sure I can do a search and find $349 modems but as an added layer it would be nice to order from a supplier known for delivery. I haven't taken the Mercadolibre plunge yet. May I ask how did you pay? Deposit in Oxxo? Or with Card. I've thought about getting one of those Oxxo refillable Credit  Cards "Tarjeta Saldazo" a Visa Citibanamex and using it for online purchases.

CG I'm of course not positive but I have a feeling the Technicolor price drop could be from Telmex mass replacement and switch to different modem they did a couple of years ago. Has it been two years? Wow.. and I had several friends who said that a guy just showed up on a scooter one day and handed them the new Arcadyan (did I spell it right?) Dual Band Modem and did not pickup the Old Technicolor modem. I was hoping that someone out there would sell me their old one but 349 pesos is a good price

Canmex87 that's an excellent price. Can you possibly send me the vendor? As I see you had no problem with delivery. I am sure I can do a search and find $349 modems but as an added layer it would be nice to order from a supplier known for delivery. I haven't taken the Mercadolibre plunge yet. May I ask how did you pay? Deposit in Oxxo? Or with Card. I've thought about getting one of those Oxxo refillable Credit  Cards "Tarjeta Saldazo" a Visa Citibanamex and using it for online purchases.

There are many suppliers selling these modems and the web site shows the reputation of the supplier.

We used a credit card.

6 hours ago, chicamysterious said:

Econ man not a stupid question, Yes the dual bands have to do with the "User" side of the modem. Simply put compare it to cordless telephones. They had the original ones at 2.4 and now they have them at multiple frequencies and boast better connection, clarity, and greater ranges. The proper explanation is a bit more complicated. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-dual-band-routers-can-solve-your-wireless-woes/

CG I'm of course not positive but I have a feeling the Technicolor price drop could be from Telmex mass replacement and switch to different modem they did a couple of years ago. Quite possible. I know they buy "end lots", or discontinued product and get their own firmware installed... cheapest price that way. And over the years it has become obvious: crappy modems, short shelf-life, easily fried parts. They replace the modem manufacturers and models every couple of years, all the time.

Has it been two years? Wow.. and I had several friends who said that a guy just showed up on a scooter one day and handed them the new Arcadyan (did I spell it right?) Dual Band Modem and did not pickup the Old Technicolor modem. Many stories like that: all Technicolor modems until recently were garbage, pretty much. So, no good reason to want them back. I was hoping that someone out there would sell me their old one but 349 pesos is a good price.

More and more sites are using PayPal. I have used with Walmart, Sam's, Amazon, and Costco. I even donated to Operation Feeds with PayPal. With PayPal, the stores don't care what cc or bank withdraw you are using. That way all of the sites that you do business with doesn't have your information. 

We are moving into a new unfurnished rental. When the owner became ill and moved NOB, her relatives had someone come in and move everything out. I expect the modem is somewhere in a storage box. TelMex won't give me a new modem. I must provide an old one to turn in. The modem doesn't need to be working, just needs to be from TelMex. Is Mercado Libre the best place to go?

3 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

We are moving into a new unfurnished rental. When the owner became ill and moved NOB, her relatives had someone come in and move everything out. I expect the modem is somewhere in a storage box. TelMex won't give me a new modem. I must provide an old one to turn in. The modem doesn't need to be working, just needs to be from TelMex. Is Mercado Libre the best place to go?

Yes.

• 6 months later...

Archived