Chapala.com Webboard

How to dial a Chapala Cell from Canada

mkshawn

Right mkshawn. That is what you dial in both the US and in Canada from a landline. Remember that there are so many numbers in the greater Guadalajara area, that the original 331 area code didn't provide enough numbers, so they said, Now the area code is 33 and the old seven digit number now has 8 digits, where the first digit can be 33-1 or 33-2 and when more were needed 33-3 and soon 4 etc

011-52-1-33-1123-1234

011-52-1-33-2123-1234 and then when even more folks wanted a landline or cell phone they had to increase the numbers to

011-52-1-33-3123-1234 and whenever there are even more folks who want a greater Guadalajara area number,, we shall see

011-52-1-33-4xxx-xxxx and so on

It is extremely confusing to me, and I think to a lot of people, when North American ( US, Canada, and Mexico) phone #s are divided up as johanson posted above.

In the above example, the area codes, in my mind, should be written 331, 332, 333, and 334, then the 7 digit personal phone number. Just because there happen to be 4 area codes for Guadalajara area doesn't mean that they aren't area codes. Now that there are so many phones everywhere, of course they need to add more area codes for big cities and their environs. There are at least 2 area codes for some large cities in Canada, and probably in the States as well. That doesn't mean that they suddenly start dividing them up differently when written out.

I have seen phone numbers in Mexico divided up without rhyme or reason (2 digits, then 3 , then 2 , then 2, then 1, or any possible permutation thereof). I have to rewrite them in the 3-3-4 combination to make sense of it.

It's still 10 digits (barring country codes and int. prefixes). Why not standardize the format?

Mudgirl YOU ARE SO RIGHT. The Mexicans look at it a different way that is all.

Just to shock you:

I do not know when you were up north last but in Seattle where I used to be able to phone my neighbor by calling 123-4567, I can not do that anymore because we needed  additional area codes for the same area. 

Now, in Seattle, no matter whom I call,  I have to phone using an area code. My primary area code is 206. At least the other local area codes are very different, one is 425 and the other newest one is I think 253.

So other than 911 and other emergency numbers, any time you call anyone you must include the area code, even if it is the same one you have. It's getting too confusing :)

1 hour ago, johanson said:

Mudgirl YOU ARE SO RIGHT. The Mexicans look at it a different way that is all.

Just to shock you:

I do not know when you were up north last but in Seattle where I used to be able to phone my neighbor by calling 123-4567, I can not do that anymore because we needed  additional area codes for the same area. 

Now, in Seattle, no matter whom I call,  I have to phone using an area code. My primary area code is 206. At least the other local area codes are very different, one is 425 and the other newest one is I think 253.

So other than 911 and other emergency numbers, any time you call anyone you must include the area code, even if it is the same one you have. It's getting too confusing :)

Yes, you've had to dial using the area codes in British Columbia for years now. And, in my experience, Mexicans just divide up phone numbers willy-nilly, I really think they are just unclear on how to do it, not that they do it differently. I've noticed that many modern businesses actually use the 3-3-4 format, whereas small town folk, who maybe as little as 15 years ago just had some central caseta where you had to go to make a phone call, do it however.

Archived