Chapala.com Webboard

Bancomer Account for Non-Residents

c.lang

Hi all,

Does anyone have recent experience opening a Bancomer account on a tourist visa in Ajijic?  I opened an account there two years ago (just needed a rental agreement and copy of a recent bill attached to the house).  Closed the account when I left Mexico and now would like to re-open... or even start all over... on a tourist visa again... but even tho they still have "mis datos"  in their countrywide system , I am not in Ajijic at the moment (am in Mexico, but further south) and they said their policy changed so, no can do.  What about Ajijic?  My Spanish is pretty good but I'm not sure if I could cover all the details in a phone call to our old branch at el parque in Ajijic... anyone have a recent experience?  Thanks in advance if anyone knows!

FYI, I have had a Bancomer account (both checking and investment) for 10 years. In that time I have never had a time that they would not take my U.S. Dollar check. I have had very little issues with Bancomer and have been happy there. I have read of all the issues, (mostly by the same person) and have never had any of those issues.

Banking laws have changed and I cannot say for certain that you can or cannot open an account on a tourist visa.

I know for certain though, using this forum as a litmus test when it comes to banking is likely a bad idea.

Multiva is a good investment house, but if you are in some little Podunk town in Mexico you will likely find a Bancomer branch. I don't think you will find a Multiva branch there. In larger cities there are Bancomer branches everywhere. If you are a traveler it would be a better option.

Just saying, walk the walk before you talk the talk

Like Confused, we’ve had a Bancomer account for some years, since 2009 for us. We’ve always been able to deposit a US check. And you can find a Bancomer branch and ATMs throughout Mexico.

10 hours ago, Confused said:

FYI, I have had a Bancomer account (both checking and investment) for 10 years. In that time I have never had a time that they would not take my U.S. Dollar check. I have had very little issues with Bancomer and have been happy there. I have read of all the issues, (mostly by the same person) and have never had any of those issues.

Banking laws have changed and I cannot say for certain that you can or cannot open an account on a tourist visa.

I know for certain though, using this forum as a litmus test when it comes to banking is likely a bad idea.

Multiva is a good investment house, but if you are in some little Podunk town in Mexico you will likely find a Bancomer branch. I don't think you will find a Multiva branch there. In larger cities there are Bancomer branches everywhere. If you are a traveler it would be a better option.

Just saying, walk the walk before you talk the talk

I said Bancomer does not EXCHANGE US dollars, as in walk in with US cash and expect them to exchange for pesos, not that they don't accept a US dollar check for deposit.

I have also had a Bancomer account for 10 years. I've never had any problem with them, aside from one time several years ago when they changed the minimum balance to have in your account without incurring service charges, yet didn't bother to notify their customers of the change, and charged me a 300 pesos service fee. 

Hola! Bancomer does not currently allow non-residents to open accounts. You will have better luck at Multiva, Intercam, or Actinver. You will need a proof of address and your ID.

Archived