Chapala.com Webboard

Telcel Calling in US to another US number

sanditoes

I’ve searched the threads and don’t seem to see an answer to this particular topic.  I’m in the US.  I want to use my Telcel phone to call another US number.  I’ve tried 001, 011, just 10 digits but nothing seems to work.  Has someone had success roaming in US and calling US numbers?  Thanks in advance, I’m on the go and no time for further research.  It’s rather urgent.

A friend from San Miguel is visiting us. When she arrived in the US (air) her Telcel iPhone now was connected to and displayed T-Mobile. She makes calls here (Colorado) using just the 10 numbers.... no “1”.

YMMV

In the greater Seattle area there are several area codes that are free to call. Using my Telcel phone I incorrectly thought I always needed the 1 before the area code. No I don't have to dial the 1 using my Telcel phone when phoning other area codes in the states.

I had always been doing it only to find out that the calls also went through when I DID NOT DIAL 1

I was told that there is a plan where you pay, I believe monthly that you can get from Telcel with low cost phoning for Canadian, Mexican and US numbers.

AT&T  US has the same type of program for Mexico.

To learn more either someone here who knows the costs, could post about it or one can go to the Large Telcel central office in the Laguna Mall or to the AT&T office which I think is in Chapala? Maybe?  and check there.

Or if your Spanish is good, it is described somewhere on the Telcel Home page, or so I have been told.

I hope that other folks who go to the Telcel office in the Laguna Mall Plaza get better service than I. Its a crap shoot who you get for asstence.

I am assured that whenever I go to the States I can roam  free..but when ever I try , I never seem to be able to receive a signal..I guess I am technically challenged.

You must make sure you have turned Roaming on, and set your Carrier to "automatic."  Give it a few minutes to find a carrier.  You may need to turn the phone off and start it up again, but your phone should be able to find the proper carrier to use (in Colorado it was either AT&T or T Mobile; in Washington it was T Mobile).  I found that I just needed to dial the ten digit number with no "1" necessary.  Now, when my husband and I called one another's Mexican cell phone numbers, we had to add +1 52 1 before the number to reach each other.  If you're calling a Mexican landline, drop the "1" before the number.

This plan works all over the US. All of my US iPhone contacts carry a +1 so I can make the call from Mexico. I can call the contact while in the US the same as while in Mexico. Direct dial while there only requred the 10 digit number. Calling another Mexican cell while in the US required the extra 1 after the +52.

I can't comment on any of the Amigo plans but this appears to be the cheapest non-Amigo plan available now. Under $17US/month is pretty reasonable.

As soon as I arrive in the US and turn the phone back on I connect to T-Mobile immediately.

2017-10-05_181349.jpg.af88b952bcadacf10ef91ae21c25aeeb.jpg

Thanks to all that replied.  My results were, at best inconsistent.  I call I’d made successfully would not go through a second time.  But, I didn’t know about turning on roaming.  Thanks Canyon Wren for this tip.  Unfortunately, back in Mexico before that suggestion came through.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived