Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

round up


Recommended Posts

Roundup is glyphosate, glyfosfato in Spanish I think, and we once found it in agricultural supply places, in envelopes (sobres).

In the USA, we order it online in concentrated form, rather than by the brand name, then dilute small quantities in our sprayer. It is very effective in keeping the weeds down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You can buy it in liquid form at Casa del Plomero and other places. It is called glifosato. La Fam brand. It is used exactly as you use it up north and works as well. I used it for many years up north and here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Roundup is glyphosate, glyfosfato in Spanish I think, and we once found it in agricultural supply places, in envelopes (sobres).

In the USA, we order it online in concentrated form, rather than by the brand name, then dilute small quantities in our sprayer. It is very effective in keeping the weeds down.

glifosato in Spanish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Willie said:

Please read the info about this VERY toxic product....terrible stuff!!!

Ya buddy!

Toxicity- Glyphosate alone

Humans

There is limited evidence human cancer risk might increase as a result of exposure to large amounts of glyphosate, but no good evidence of such a risk from typical usage, such as in domestic gardening.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyphosate

I buy mine at the Agroferretera on Pepe Guizar in Chapala. It is across the street from the old bottling plant and has a large ant as its logo. They have all the agri chemical you could want, some even toxic.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Willie said:

Please read the info about this VERY toxic product....terrible stuff!!!

Unfortunately people would prefer to have a weed free yard than concern themselves about spraying toxic, carcinogenic chemicals around. Beyond my understanding. Monsanto is actually being sued right now for its false claims that it is safe. There are communities in Canada where it is now illegal to use. Of course one can find dismissive studies funded by Monsanto and Dow. My friend did her nursing thesis on Glyphosate, and confirmed that it is very dangerous.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Health Canada found that normal exposure to the chemical was safe...

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/04/14/health-canada-looks-to-re-label-weed-killer-roundup.html

 

After a re-evaluation of the herbicide glyphosate, Health Canada’s Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA), under the authority of the  Pest Control Products Act and  Regulations, is proposing continued registration of products containing glyphosate for sale and use in Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/consumer-product-safety/pesticides-pest-management/public/consultations/proposed-re-evaluation-decisions/2015/glyphosate/document.html

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AngusMactavish said:

Health Canada found that normal exposure to the chemical was safe...

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/04/14/health-canada-looks-to-re-label-weed-killer-roundup.html

 

After a re-evaluation of the herbicide glyphosate, Health Canada’s Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA), under the authority of the  Pest Control Products Act and  Regulations, is proposing continued registration of products containing glyphosate for sale and use in Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/consumer-product-safety/pesticides-pest-management/public/consultations/proposed-re-evaluation-decisions/2015/glyphosate/document.html

And what do you think is used on grain fields in the prairie provinces of Canada and probably similar states in the USA. It's advertised every winter before seeding in those provinces because it's perfectly safe and closer to home , a few years ago it was used on the lirio here and did a fine job.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to have a cranberry farm in and sold my cranberries to Ocean Spray. I and all the other growers used Roundup and were encouraged to do so by Ocean Spray. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On Vancouver Island ( where we live in summer) it is still sold but the clerk in Canadian Tire told me that they will not carry it in the future. Right now it is locked in the case with other "dangerous" chemicals . One has to run all around the store to get someone to open the case and listen to a speech about its dangers.

There are dozens of products in these cages. And it is catching on around here as we pretend to be  leaders in the green initiatives. No matter what.

Some make sense but many others do not.

And yes, that crop above is cultivated everywhere around the Island. Always was.

Sorry OP for deviating (but you got the good answer already)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...