Chapala.com Webboard

need advice on better internet source

Recently my wife and I have begun to stream shows from Netflix and we are having severe problems with the internet from TelMex freezing or going dark ( green light going out ). This has become intolerable. We had a service call from TelMex and they told us that our system is in good working order but that the cause could be heavy useage from other users.

We plan on buying a high end smart tv and using Netflix and Amazon prime for the majority of our tv viewing and need a bettter solution.Obviously we need TelMex for our land line phone but can anyone recommend a reliable source for the internet based on your personal experience ?

Thanks

You are asking a question that we would all like answered because for many, streaming is the pits.  But the simple truth is that there is Telmex; and depending on where you live your download speed could be awful or pretty good (1 to 10 down).  Telecable, now Izzi, is sort of fast but unreliable.  The infrastructure here is lousy and not likely to get much better anytime soon. 

9 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

You are asking a question that we would all like answered because for many, streaming is the pits.  But the simple truth is that there is Telmex; and depending on where you live your download speed could be awful or pretty good (1 to 10 down).  Telecable, now Izzi, is sort of fast but unreliable.  The infrastructure here is lousy and not likely to get much better anytime soon. 

Can you tell me how to measure my download from TelMex ?

http://www.speedtest.net/ is also used. Wait until both the Begin button and the small triangle identifying location are shown. Then click on Begin.

It would be helpful to you if you stated the general location of where you live and the Telmex package that you're using. That way others, who live close by, can chime in with their results. If their results are better than yours, then you may want to check all your connections including those up on poles since they may be corroded. Jose Luis Gonzalez found my problem in less than a half hour. Stripped the corroded section and reattached it. Bada bing! Solid internet connection. You will wait a month of Sundays for Telmex to make the effort and do this kind of work. Jose Luis cell phone 331-326-4662. He used to work for Telmex, speaks English as well if you need it. There are some areas that he knows he can't fix because of other problems (like upper Chula Vista) but he won't waste your time or your money by coming to fix something that he knows can't be fixed.

It seems that a decade ago, few people were “streaming“ and were using the internet for e-mail and searching for things to read, not watch.   In the last couple of years, it appears that the amount of live streaming has overwhelmed the capacity of local service providers.  It may improve in another decade or two, so do not hold your breath.

I get teased all of the time because of all of my satellite dishes. I have to pay for my TV in my condo up north and I had the option of cable or DirecTV. I chose DirecTV, pay an extra $5.95 US per month brought an extra satellite receiver down and have it connected to three LNBs pointed at my 2.4 meter Dish.  And I get almost 50% of my channels in clear weather. Should it get too cloudy, and the signal fails

Now we have a (summer) cottage on Vancouver Island and some of the expenses that I share are for the cottage Shaw Direct account, I could go on.

Now although I do have a smart LG HDTV, my speeds are such that I can stream standard definition quite well, I can't always say the same with high definition.

I hope that one day, that our internet speeds will be such that I can stream on a more regular basis and perhaps partially cut the cord.

11 minutes ago, twelveoaks said:

Used speed of.my and it shows download at 10.97mbps and upload at 560 kbps. Is this good or bad ??

I know your question was directed to ComputerGuy but he may be busy. Your download speed is way better than most people here. Your upload speed sucks but, if you're not uploading much, then it may not be a problem for you. May I suggest checking it in the afternoon and in the evening before you want to stream. Why? Because, for many, the speed drops way down from late afternoon until about 9 p.m. That may not be the case for you but it is worth having the knowledge in your hands.

15 minutes ago, barcelonaman said:

As ferret says 10 download is good for around here. Should be ok for streaming hd films. 

I have 5 download and stream free films from netfix type services in hd. 

Problem as mentioned above could be your vpn.

Agree, I would be curious to know your speeds with/without your VPN connected and that might or might not tell the story. 10 down is plenty fast for HD. Are you using Netflix Mex. on your TV or have you installed a VPN on your non-Telmex router. Or perhaps connecting your laptop with VPN to your TV via HDMI cable? Need at least 20 for 4K. On what device are you watching Amazon Prime and with which VPN?

Edit:  Tel makes a good point. Sorry if I sound like the "Help Desk". I've been there a time or 2.

You should not have a problem streaming with 10.97...I stream Netflix and Ytube with 5meg download, never have any issues. The problem with speed test is that it's only showing you your download speed at that moment it time..

What you need to  know is how consistent that 10.97 is. It could drop off to almost nothing at certain times.

I would like to find an App that would graph or at least show me min/max download speed over a 24hr period.

3 hours ago, Ferret said:

http://www.speedtest.net/ is also used. Wait until both the Begin button and the small triangle identifying location are shown. Then click on Begin.

It would be helpful to you if you stated the general location of where you live and the Telmex package that you're using. That way others, who live close by, can chime in with their results. If their results are better than yours, then you may want to check all your connections including those up on poles since they may be corroded. Jose Luis Gonzalez found my problem in less than a half hour. Stripped the corroded section and reattached it. Bada bing! Solid internet connection. You will wait a month of Sundays for Telmex to make the effort and do this kind of work. Jose Luis cell phone 331-326-4662. He used to work for Telmex, speaks English as well if you need it. There are some areas that he knows he can't fix because of other problems (like upper Chula Vista) but he won't waste your time or your money by coming to fix something that he knows can't be fixed.

We live in La Reserva which is west Ajijic and we have the basic 389 peso per month package

1 hour ago, TelsZ4 said:

You should not have a problem streaming with 10.97...I stream Netflix and Ytube with 5meg download, never have any issues. The problem with speed test is that it's only showing you your download speed at that moment it time..

What you need to  know is how consistent that 10.97 is. It could drop off to almost nothing at certain times.

I would like to find an App that would graph or at least show me min/max download speed over a 24hr period.

You are correct that there is a MAJOR fluctuation at any given time. It is currently 1:30PM and I was completely dead off and on. There seems to be no Rhyme or reason. It has happened at various times each day. Some others have mentioned a VPN. Can you clue me in as to what that is and where and how to get it ???

Thanks

VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. Many streaming services like Netflix, from the USA, are NOT available by law outside of the US... meaning Mexico. Thus one can not stream US Netflix while in Mexico. But IF one signs up/pays for a VPN, that service will 'hide' your Mexican IP computer address and 'spoof' a valid US IP computer address in its place. When that is done, the Netflix-like services in the US will think that your computer is in the US and you can then stream that/those services in Mexico.... paying for it if necessary of course.

You will surely get 'many' recommendations for a VPN to purchase here in a minute! 

A VPN will not enhance your Internet speeds at all, and may even reduce it a bit.

42 minutes ago, twelveoaks said:

You are correct that there is a MAJOR fluctuation at any given time. It is currently 1:30PM and I was completely dead off and on. There seems to be no Rhyme or reason. It has happened at various times each day. Some others have mentioned a VPN. Can you clue me in as to what that is and where and how to get it ???

Thanks

imho, you have a loose or corroded connection somewhere. 1:30 pm today the wind started to pick up... strain on the wires. When you're checking your internet connection and/or speed, make a note of the wind too.

I cannot possibly tell you how long my list got of things to check out over the course of seven months. You're in a relatively new development and you're getting great download speed for the price but...

Suerte!

Archived