Chapala.com Webboard

Walmart getting devious

Ferret

Just a heads up for everyone. I have now bought 6 small Areca Palms from Walmart over the course of a month. The first four were 89 pesos each. The last two (left over from the previous week when they were 89 pesos) were marked as LIQUIDACION... precio original 129 pesos ahorra 90 pesos. Pretty tricky marketing if you ask me.

Bottom line is to know what the price is or should be... especially if you plan to buy big ticket items and are waiting for Buen Fin.

Good point. Buen Fin is a hilarious rip-off at WalMart.

My favourite is Tuesdays, when everyone thinks Walmart gives great deals of produce. (Won't get into how badly their produce usually sucks...) I bought white onions there a couple of years ago at something like 14.95/kilo. The next day, white onions were on special at 35.90/kilo. Tomatoes had the same ludicrous markup. From what I could tell, exactly the same inventory, too.

I am well aware of that. But I was looking for a particular SIZE. Same as the 2 to 4 litre empty paint cans that I was looking for when you suggested that I use empty glass jars. I also find that the Walmart plants don't come with the built in bugs whereas plants from a nursery often do... and the plants are for inside not outside.

5 hours ago, Ferret said:

I am well aware of that. But I was looking for a particular SIZE. Same as the 2 to 4 litre empty paint cans that I was looking for when you suggested that I use empty glass jars. I also find that the Walmart plants don't come with the built in bugs whereas plants from a nursery often do... and the plants are for inside not outside.

Actually, you never specified in the Paint can thread that you were looking for 2-4 liter containers. Neither did I suggest that you use empty glass jars. I said that's what I use.

And many nurseries carry various sizes of Arecas. Not aware of the bug issue. But if the Walmart plants don't have bugs, I'd assume it's because they are sprayed with insecticide. So, in fact, one could buy plants at the nursery and spray them with insecticide themselves.

Archived