Chapala.com Webboard

buying a tv at Costco or WalMart

twelveoaks

My wife and I are planning to buy a new tv. Currently we have an older generation non smart LG. We want to buy a totally new generationTV with ultra hi def 4K and apps for netflix, Amazon, etc. We would probably buy another LG or a Samsung.

My question is Costco or Walmart. My experience with the employees at the WalMart lake side is that they are unknowledgable, indifferent and would rather play with their smart phone than service a customer. Conversely I find the people at Costco to be helpful and knowledgable. Those factors by themselves would lead me to Costco. However, Costco seems to lean towards the giant 60 to 70 inch tvs and we want a 49 to50 inch. Also, I cannot find what the return policy on electronics is at either store ( for Mexico stores ).Also, I am not clear as to Costco's delivery policy from Guadalajara to Ajijic. As far as prices Costco on line has some very attractive prices.

So... my question is if you have had an experience buying a tv recently at either Walmart or Costco what was your overall satisfaction level?

Should  I refrain here, because we talked already?

Edit: I am told English-speaking Gilberto is gone to a better job.

CostCo offers excellent return policies, even going out of their way to find your electronic receipt in their database if you lost yours (they have your card and sales on permanent record). I think they have a straight return policy of 19 days, but they honour warranties, and I took a DVD player back almost a year after I bought it, no problem.

WalMart has a 7-day return policy, but I don't think they care about warranty work. Would have to ask at the counter.

41 minutes ago, twelveoaks said:

My wife and I are planning to buy a new tv. Currently we have an older generation non smart LG. We want to buy a totally new generationTV with ultra hi def 4K and apps for netflix, Amazon, etc. We would probably buy another LG or a Samsung.

My question is Costco or Walmart. My experience with the employees at the WalMart lake side is that they are unknowledgable, indifferent and would rather play with their smart phone than service a customer. Conversely I find the people at Costco to be helpful and knowledgable. Those factors by themselves would lead me to Costco. However, Costco seems to lean towards the giant 60 to 70 inch tvs and we want a 49 to50 inch. Also, I cannot find what the return policy on electronics is at either store ( for Mexico stores ).Also, I am not clear as to Costco's delivery policy from Guadalajara to Ajijic. As far as prices Costco on line has some very attractive prices.

So... my question is if you have had an experience buying a tv recently at either Walmart or Costco what was your overall satisfaction level?

Just remember....the HD content should look better on a 4K TV according to many reviews. Where are you going to get your 4K and UHD content to view? From a BluRay disc? To watch Amazon Prime, Netflix US, Hulu, Fubo, et al you will need a VPN on your router. I use expressvpn and am happy. Next, in order stream 4K and UHD you need at least 20mb down internet connection and Netflix recommends 25. Do you have that kind of connection in Lakeside? Telmex tells me I can now get 20  here in Puerto Vallarta so sometime next week I will be getting it. Since I don't have a 4K TV (since I could only get 10, why upgrade the TV) I won't be able to be a judge of 4K reception. If I can consistently maintain that 20 (Please Slim), I may spring for a new TV. But if you just need a new TV anyway, go for 4K they are getting cheaper and by Buen Fin in November (Mexican Black Friday) I suspect some really good deals will be had. The router I have connected to my Telmex router is an Archer C7 and I was able, with tech support help from expressvpn, to change my actual router settings so that any device, including a smart TV, that connects to it appears to be in the US and thus not blocked from those streaming services.

OR, just buy a Kodi box and stream for free.  YMMV

We decided on Walmart...closer to home. All of the models that we were interested in had one side of the box written in English. We wrote down all info, went home and did our own research.  The employee that works in the afternoon that speaks English  would not have been any help, we simply needed to make decisions based on our own research. 

Once we chose a model, the actual purchase process was simple. You wait for them to go get it in the warehouse, they give you purchase info, you pay for it, meet the Walmart employee at the door and have someone load it into whatever vehicle you have waiting.  I have no idea about service if something is wrong with it. Just assume we will figure that out if the time ever comes.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Should  I refrain here, because we talked already?

Edit: I am told English-speaking Gilberto is gone to a better job.

CostCo offers excellent return policies, even going out of their way to find your electronic receipt in their database if you lost yours (they have your card and sales on permanent record). I think they have a straight return policy of 19 days, but they honour warranties, and I took a DVD player back almost a year after I bought it, no problem.

WalMart has a 7-day return policy, but I don't think they care about warranty work. Would have to ask at the counter.

Thanks Mike,

I think it will be Samsung at Costco. They have a 49 inch 4k ultrahd for 11,499 on line curently. Besides, I trust Costco and don't trust WalMart.

21 minutes ago, twelveoaks said:

Thanks Mike,

I think it will be Samsung at Costco. They have a 49 inch 4k ultrahd for 11,499 on line curently. Besides, I trust Costco and don't trust WalMart.

Didn't see that 11,499 price online, but did see 11,999 for the Model: UN49MU6100FXZX. A good price as not much more in USD than Amazon or Fry's US. It does however have only the 60 refresh rate vs 120 that many people claim is better. Perhaps you are looking at a different model than I can see. Mine says sale ends today (Hurry, hurry, hurry).

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Didn't see that 11,499 price online, but did see 11,999 for the Model: UN49MU6100FXZX. A good price as not much more in USD than Amazon or Fry's US. It does however have only the 60 refresh rate vs 120 that many people claim is better. Perhaps you are looking at a different model than I can see. Mine says sale ends today (Hurry, hurry, hurry).

You are correct.It is 11,999. I mis quoted. As far as 60 vs 120 I can't tell the difference

15 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Another reason not to buy high-ticket items at Walmart is that when someone returns something that doesn't work properly, they just put it back on the shelf for another sucker to buy!

A friend was there recently trying to buy a laptop, and the :() clerk who was helping her dropped it on the ground TWICE right in front of her , and insisted it was still fine and that she should take it, which of course she didn't.   You KNOW that one went back for sale and someone will end up with it, though.  :(

8 minutes ago, hensley said:

We have bought 9 or 10 TV's of all sizes and kinds from the Zenda store in Guadalajara and they by far have the best prices for brand new TV's.

You've only been here about 9-10 years and bought that many TV's. They may be cheap there but there seems to be a reason for that.

3 hours ago, ned small said:

You've only been here about 9-10 years and bought that many TV's. They may be cheap there but there seems to be a reason for that.

She's trying to find one that picks up different channels........

21 hours ago, hensley said:

Pedro it is for other people, we have 1 TV, smarty.

What is this obsession a very few,fortunately, of you have with my friend Pedro who is not me. Read my lips,my name is ned small,ned small, ned small on this local board. Only 1 person on this board has ever met me and that took place when Pedro and I were together. You people with this obsession with him,by mentioning him manage to kill perfectly good threads by doing so. He is not on any local boards,only certain special interest worldwide and facebook where he has blocked all of you. I  am also on facebook and don't have to block any of you because you don't know my real name. Get over it,this obsession is getting really stale.

47 minutes ago, ned small said:

What is this obsession a very few,fortunately, of you have with my friend Pedro who is not me. Read my lips,my name is ned small,ned small, ned small on this local board. Only 1 person on this board has ever met me and that took place when Pedro and I were together. You people with this obsession with him,by mentioning him manage to kill perfectly good threads by doing so. He is not on any local boards,only certain special interest worldwide and facebook where he has blocked all of you. I  am also on facebook and don't have to block any of you because you don't know my real name. Get over it,this obsession is getting really stale.

It is not the mentioning of one word (Pedro) that throws the threads off track. It is your reaction to that one word, like the long quote above. Give it up, Ned. You will never convince a few people you are not just the new and improved version of Pedro. The good news is, the vast majority of posters neither know nor care about the unlamented Pedro no matter who he really is.

Why don't we just compromise and do as was suggested on the other board where they call you Nedro. That way, we can think of you as one person in one body instead of two people in one body. Keep on posting under whatever name you want to use, I enjoy your posts.

2 hours ago, Xena said:

It is not the mentioning of one word (Pedro) that throws the threads off track. It is your reaction to that one word, like the long quote above. Give it up, Ned. You will never convince a few people you are not just the new and improved version of Pedro. The good news is, the vast majority of posters neither know nor care about the unlamented Pedro no matter who he really is.

This obsessed person  coined Nedro and when  the obsessed computerguy said he would use it to his dying day, moderator2 said "no you won't". so where is this moderator who actually also thinks that I am Pedro because somebody on the other bs board told him so? None of you know me and only a very few people know Pedro most of who have been kicked to the curb by him. This is all very humourous but generally way off topic from the original thread.

Archived