Chapala.com Webboard

Hours of Operation/Contact Thread

It's so hard to know who's open when - couldn't there be one thread where local restaurants just post their hours or a number you could call to check? 

Went to have lunch today and one place on my list didn't open until 2 and the other had no hours posted and didn't appear to be planning to open at all today.  Ended up with a very disappointing meal in a third restaurant nearby - no need to say where.  Just frustrating for those of us who don't eat out a lot and really look forward to something special when we do...   

Nah, man. Did we have that back home? No way.

Restaurants here do this all the time. You'll get used to it. The ones with a better grip do better than those that don't. Back home we had a phone book; here we have FaceBook, two Chapala directories, and this board.

It would not matter if there was a list. Restaurants come and go, they open on regular closed days and are closed when they should be open. They open late, close early, are out of what you went there to eat. I always have a back up plan before I go out to eat: where we will go if the place is closed, what I will eat if they aren't making my favorite that day. As CG said, you get used to it.

Sorry - been here 18 years, full-time, and I'm still not used to it so probably won't happen.  II try to keep my own list current but these things still happen and I get frustrated, especially when the back-up plan goes up in smoke as well.    Just venting a little, I guess; everyone's got a pet peeve or two.

1 hour ago, kgreenbury said:

Sorry - been here 18 years, full-time, and I'm still not used to it so probably won't happen.  II try to keep my own list current but these things still happen and I get frustrated, especially when the back-up plan goes up in smoke as well.    Just venting a little, I guess; everyone's got a pet peeve or two.

Oh, yeah, the back up plan failing as well is a real aggravation. I once had the backup plan not work out and was proud that we calmly conferenced out on the sidewalk and quickly came up with a third plan. Got all into it on the ride over only to find that place was not opening until 3 -- though usual opening time was noon. At least they had posted a sign.  Option four was selected because it was walking distance. Luckily it was open and all was well. Like CG, I don't LIKE it but I usually say, "Ah, Mexico" and enjoy whatever I am doing instead.

Went to Salvadore's on Saturday for late lunch... not because it's great, but because we hadn't been for a LONG time and we both know Jorge quite well. He was closing, so our back up was Rafa's seafood, up near Min Wah.

He was on vaycay. So we actually sat in the car, in the shade, talking for 20 minutes. Other places were either too boring, or closed too early, or we had been there too recently. Ended up going for curry at Raj's place at the big mall. But Giovanni talked me into getting his curry... . By this time, it was no longer a late lunch.

The curry was very mild, with large chunks of properly-cooked chicken. He has, in fact, told me that he makes it that mild due to customer requests over the years. Along with a side of fettucine alfredo, my plate was swimming in butter, though.

Archived