Chapala.com Webboard

Hit & Run at La Huerta today (Sept. 26th)

As my husband and I were crossing the Carretera to return to our car parked in the grass on the mountain side (across from La Huerta/Organic Market), we ran into a tall, slender Canadian man who was in disbelief that someone had hit his left tail light and bumper, busting the light, scratching and damaging the car.  When we asked if he had any ideas who might have done it, he said the young Mexican fellows standing in front of La Huerta pointed to a gray mini-van double parked in front of La Huerta.

As we were encouraging the gentleman to take photos of this vehicle, call Vialidad, stand by the van and wait for the owner to return, etc. A gringa rushed out of the building, into the van, backed out and rushed off towards Ajijic while looking over at the three of us standing across the Carretera.  We were just stunned by her brazen behavior.  I'm sorry the man wasn't more assertive as we had been there talking with him about 5 minutes and encouraging him to cross back over to where the van was parked.  With her hurried escape, he couldn't capture her photo, a photo of the van nor license plate.  But, it was so obvious that she was the culprit and running like a bat out of hell to escape responsibility.

So sorry this happened to this fella but even more disheartened that this woman didn't have the common decency to leave a note and in fact when she saw us looking at her, she sped off to evade identification and be responsible for the damage she'd done to the man's vehicle.  

OK, vent over.  Return to Paradise.

Valerie

Even tho I try to plan what I need to do in case of an accident, it is hard to think when it happens--one is sort of stunned. I have a list of what i need to do, printed on the front of my car insurance packet. Someone has advised taking Polaroid photos of the scene, as quite often one needs to move the cars off the middle of the street and one picture, as they say, is worth a thousand words, particularly if your Spanish is not fluent! My question: where can I buy a Polaroid camera? I haven't seen one in years.

Kyle, good idea!  I did not know the gentleman whose car was hit but that's smart thinking.  I don't think she was a Vendor as she flew out of there at about 10:30, "fleeing the scene" so to speak.  I think she was a customer but I believe I'd recognize the van.

Valerie

2 hours ago, JayBearII said:

Even tho I try to plan what I need to do in case of an accident, it is hard to think when it happens--one is sort of stunned. I have a list of what i need to do, printed on the front of my car insurance packet. Someone has advised taking Polaroid photos of the scene, as quite often one needs to move the cars off the middle of the street and one picture, as they say, is worth a thousand words, particularly if your Spanish is not fluent! My question: where can I buy a Polaroid camera? I haven't seen one in years.

You don't need a Polaroid, per se.  Just a photo from your phone.  And don't move the cars from the middle of the road--not in Mexico.  You have to wait for the cops and adjuster. 

Jaybearl, RV--today people refer to the cell or smart phones as just phones. I know this as having just learned it. I have a smart phone and I can take pictures--have some cute pix of the lizards on my patio. Now the thing is, to be ready for taking pictures of an accident, I have to remember to bring my "phone" with me every day. Another thing to remember just when I'm forgetting everything.

Lexy

3 hours ago, cedros said:

So if something like this happens to you get pictures of the offending person and vehicle ASAP.

Pictures and plate info won't do any good. I had a hit and run, that put me out of commission for months to be carried off by ambulance. I submitted the plate info and description to the police and insurance company, and they couldn't care less!

About a month ago, we returned from the post office to find that the side of our car had been bashed in.

We immediately drove to our insurance office only to be told that we needed the information of the driver

responsible for the damage before we could make a claim. Of course we couldn't provide it, so paid for the damage ourselves.

I naively thought we had "full coverage' should have read the small print?

TelsZ4, it was an older model, blu-ish, dull gray Van, I'm going to say likely American made.  The gringa appeared to be in her 50's to late 60's, had salt & pepper/gray shoulder length hair and by the time I saw her, she was zooming off towards Ajijic in the van looking back at us while we pointed at her.  So, I don't know her stature.  But, if anyone happens to see a van fitting this description, it would be helpful if you'd look at her front R. bumper because it's obvious that's what she used when she hit the man's left rear bumper and light.  There should be some damage to her vehicle as well.

GRRRR!  Thanks for the interest and comments.

Valerie

Thanks for the description, I sure now the in next  year if she comes to la Huerta, or Walmart or superlake, she will be recognized.

she will be caught.

once you have the license plate you can find where she lives and all about her.

She will have no place to hide

Good job on getting the information out.

Lakeside is a small community she cant hide.

if anyone recognizes this person tell  her to she will have to come forward and take responsibility

Archived