Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican grass?

Sorry to disappoint but the only grass in my life is the stuff you mow. 

I currently have St. Augustine and am not that thrilled with it.  It was my grass in Houston for 14 years and I never liked the coarseness. Does Zoysia grow here? If so, where do I find seed or sod? Any recommendation for another fine blade grass? Do you need to overseed any time during the year? 

How much of a hassle are automatic sprinklers here? Do they clog easy? 

Thanks!!!

There are sod farms between Joco and Guad that cut and sell to local nurseries.  I don't know what grass is grown for here but this is not a tropical area with lots of humidity so St. Augustine or zoysia probably wouldn't do well here anyway.  I've seen very little seed here and it's mostly for filling in dead spots.  There are auto sprinklers here and a Rain Bird dealer.

12 hours ago, TheBestSideOfTheWall said:

Sorry to disappoint but the only grass in my life is the stuff you mow. 

I currently have St. Augustine and am not that thrilled with it.  It was my grass in Houston for 14 years and I never liked the coarseness. Does Zoysia grow here? If so, where do I find seed or sod? Any recommendation for another fine blade grass? Do you need to overseed any time during the year? 

How much of a hassle are automatic sprinklers here? Do they clog easy? 

Thanks!!!

There are two common grases raised here and planted as sod. The sod is called pasto en rolo or roll of sod. Watch for a sign toward on the Caraterra out toward San Juan Cosola. Otherwise the big sod farm on Colima Highway toward Guadalajara just as you enter Tlajomulco on the right. Of the two types of sod Al Fombra is the finer. The nursery can show you what is available and deliver in rolls. They will also install it. Take photos on your phone to show them what your lot looks like and the measurements in M² which is about 11 sq ft.

The nursery down/behind Superlake carries sod.  Once when I went for some they had two types.

As for sprinklers mine have never really clogged in 14 years.  They do have occasional other problems but it depends if you are talking about the large type that sweep over an area or the smaller type that pop up and water a smaller area.  With my front and back yard I have 6 zones that water separately with a variety of sprinklers in each area.   The Rainbird man is very experiences and knowledgeable both for installing and helping maintain a system if you need help.   He is located on Lazaro Cardenas in upper Ajijic.   Drive up Revolucion (the tiangus street) to the top and turn right on Lazaro Cardenas.  His office is in a house about 1/2 block down on the left.  You just walk into the house living room which is their office.  

2 hours ago, Floradude said:

The nursery down/behind Superlake carries sod.  Once when I went for some they had two types.

Exatamento! I bought Saint Augustine grass there, but they had a finer, higher quality sod, too. Very inexpensive, as well. Good thing, because the other-half decided to bleach an ants nest (which to her surprise bleached the sod, too) and I needed to replace a portion.

Go down the street by Absolut Phoenix Real Estate in the Superlake parking lot (toward the lake) and enter the second cyclone fence gate on the left (the first opening is into a mechanic's garage) and follow that dirt road to a big parking lot, where you will most likely see the sod growing on your right hand side. Someone may or may not be there to help you and may or may not speak English (I do not recall as I speak fluent Spanglish.) But, you will spot the way to the service center.

Archived