Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Robo
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hola- I will be coming to look at Lake Chapala area this January- Febuary 2018 to learn about and consider for a future move there. I live & Alaska & Hawaii. Moved from Alaska to Hawaii in 2015 and am somewhat disappointed (crime/ litter, prejudice, politics ). I have been in Mexico  ~20 times in my life on vacations & lived in Oaxaca for 4 months in  2005.  I'm nearing retirement and want a place that is warmer and affordable (Hawaii is not). Have always loved Mexico. Airfare is somewhat cheap from there to Alaska where I will still go back and forth some. 

I am assuming from my many times in Mexico that the availability of a furnished place to live for two months is more then is posted on- line. Do many local homes or smaller Mexican motels offer 2 month stays. Some place in mid range ($500- $800 month, single person) .  Any other websites to consider or check.

Thanks and looking forward for a long visit & getting to know area/ people

Robo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just be aware that Jan-Feb is in the middle of high season so accommodations will be harder, but surely not impossible, to find. And yes, more is available than you will see online. There are several bulletin boards around town that have accommodations posted that agents won't have. Most will want a longer period than you are suggesting, especially since it will be high season, but you can probably find something in a couple of days.

Agree about Perico, both that it is a good option if available, but it is a few miles outside of 'town' and I am not aware that it is on a bus route. Google Hotel Perico Ajijic

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Robo said:

Hola- I will be coming to look at Lake Chapala area this January- Febuary 2018 to learn about and consider for a future move there. I live & Alaska & Hawaii. Moved from Alaska to Hawaii in 2015 and am somewhat disappointed (crime/ litter, prejudice, politics ). I have been in Mexico  ~20 times in my life on vacations & lived in Oaxaca for 4 months in  2005.  I'm nearing retirement and want a place that is warmer and affordable (Hawaii is not). Have always loved Mexico. Airfare is somewhat cheap from there to Alaska where I will still go back and forth some. 

I am assuming from my many times in Mexico that the availability of a furnished place to live for two months is more then is posted on- line. Do many local homes or smaller Mexican motels offer 2 month stays. Some place in mid range ($500- $800 month, single person) .  Any other websites to consider or check.

Thanks and looking forward for a long visit & getting to know area/ people

Robo

Hotel Italo  right in the heart of Ajijic will offer weekly or monthly rates, and has kitchen units if wanted. Not fancy,  but good basic accommodation. NOISY when things are happening in the plaza, but a good intro to the local culture!  Easy bus access too.  I knew a Canadian lady (now deceased) who lived there as her "home" for years!

Also google hotels in Ajijc --- forget the name of one across from Lake Chapala Society, but suspect you'd get a reasonable monthly rate from them too if you check early.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Penthouse in Riberas, behind Mirasol has 1 BR and efficiency apts for short term.  You can opt for 2 meals a day, 6 days a week or not.  Apts. are priced accordingly.  Donna or Mike at 331 363 5580.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

There's a safe walking path from Hotel Perico to the bus stop across the road from Colegio Technologio. From there the bus will take you to town.  You don't need to walk on the Libramiento.  The bus from town will also return you to the Colegio, and from there you can take the path back to Perico.  I've done that for months.  They get filled up in the winter months, so you would need to call them soon, if you want to stay there.  It's $350/month...can't beat it, and it's quiet up there.  Nice long timers who can help you with tips about the area.  Cheap to take a taxi if you have bags of groceries also.

Good to know.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ajijic_hiker said:

There's a safe walking path from Hotel Perico to the bus stop across the road from Colegio Technologio. From there the bus will take you to town.  You don't need to walk on the Libramiento.  The bus from town will also return you to the Colegio, and from there you can take the path back to Perico.  I've done that for months.  They get filled up in the winter months, so you would need to call them soon, if you want to stay there.  It's $350/month...can't beat it, and it's quiet up there.  Nice long timers who can help you with tips about the area.  Cheap to take a taxi if you have bags of groceries also.

I thought that the only bus going in the outward direction on the Libramiento is the Directo, which would take you into Guadalajara?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hotel Perico it is- all set and ready yo go. Thanks for all your advise. 2 months in Hawaii & 2 months in Alaska and I'm on my way ! Looking forward to the stay and hope it is something that would work into my retirement years.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well it's a ways away, but i like a base plan to start. All will work out. So..... any swimming in the lake? hows the water quality. I have seen some info on it but nothing conclusive. Im looking forward to the hot springs area as well. There again, it's not clear from what i read if it's open on a regular basis to the public. Membership? Daily use fee?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

- A few people swim in the Lake but most of us don't. It won't kill you, but there are a lot of water plants and old tires, etc.

- Most of us use bottled water or have a filter system or both.

- The hot springs at San Juan Cosala are accessible by bus, as it is a short walk down a boulevard from the main highway (carretera). There is a daily fee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JayBearII said:

- A few people swim in the Lake but most of us don't. It won't kill you, but there are a lot of water plants and old tires, etc.

I would venture to say that "no one" in the expat community swims in the lake. Mexicans, yes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...