Chapala.com Webboard

Sling TV

JKL

!. Not happy because many of the channels I wanted are not there.

2. Tried their 7 day free trial on my laptop and Roku

3. They do not have a "box" of their own. To watch on your TV you can connect any of these devices 

Roku (TVs, boxes and streaming stick), Apple TV (2015 only), Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, Xbox One, Android TV, Channel Master

Just remember: It's only good in the US so you will need a VPN on your computer to watch there only and a VPN on your router to watch on your TV. I'm using Amazon Prime, Hulu on demand, and Fubo TV and get most of the channels I want. With the free USTVNow subscription you can also get the Nets, but only on your computer. Connect with HDMI to watch on your TV. My VPN is ExpressVPN and it fails only very seldom and they fix it usually within a day. My router is an Archer C7 connected to my Telmex router with an ethernet cable.

Hope this helps.

You will probably get several replies about buying a box and getting everything free. Some folks report they have severely cut back on their TV watching because of all the reconfiguring you have to do with that but YMMV. 

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

With the free USTVNow subscription you can also get the Nets, but only on your computer. Connect with HDMI to watch on your TV.

I get USTVNow on my Roku.  There is a work around on their site for it.

I used Sling to get NFL Redzone, NFL Network, and all the ESPN's when I was NOB but it was $55 a month for the packages plus the sports.  I didn't think it was worth it here since I don't enjoy watching games alone.  They did tend to go down ever so often but no more than USTVNow does.  

I get it on my Roku also but I'm paying for the package. Their website says their free package with just the nets can only be viewed on a computer. Tell us about the work around.

3 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

I get it on my Roku also but I'm paying for the package. Their website says their free package with just the nets can only be viewed on a computer. Tell us about the work around.

Ah! I never tried it for free. You have to import USTVNow into the Roku channel list per the instruction on the USTVNow web site. I'm guessing if you are using a system wide VPN through your router it still wouldn't work to hide Roku protocol. Guess there has to be some reason to pay the piper.   

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, chicamysterious said:

Have you looked at the sling box? 

You need a friend in the US to add a box to their house but then you control it remotely like you were sitting in their house watching tv

Just be aware that slingbox and SlingTV have nothing to do with each other. We tried a slingbox several years ago with my stepson and long story short it was not a viable solution for us. Sling TV just doesn't have the channels we care for. We have been quite pleased with Fubo TV and their channel lineup. Since everyone's tastes in TV are different you really need to check out all the streaming options and more are coming almost daily. With a VPN installed on our router we now have USTV Now for mainly the networks, Fubo for our main provider (DVR is included), Hulu streaming with no commercials, not live, just archived, PBS (The Ken Burns Vietnam series is superb), and Amazon Prime along with several other free channels such as Smithsonian and History and A&E which have select episodes unlocked. Too much to watch, I need an android box so I can be working on fixing it instead of watching so much TV, LOL. Yes there are still sometimes stuttering issues but by and large streaming is much better than it was just a couple of years ago.

YMMV         https://www.fubo.tv/

Yes streaming has gotten much better. They even have fiber now in parts of Ajijic and very fast speeds.

I use ustvnow also and it's great not having to use a vpn though with the speed increases they are getting better also.

Ken Burns Vietnam is excellent and it's repeating now on PBS in case you missed anything.

I will check out the fubo

9 hours ago, chicamysterious said:

Have you looked at the sling box? 

You need a friend in the US to add a box to their house but then you control it remotely like you were sitting in their house watching tv

But if I understand this ‘box’ correctly, it would use “your friends” Internet upload capabilities and many upload speeds do/might not support streaming.

7 minutes ago, RickS said:

But if I understand this ‘box’ correctly, it would use “your friends” Internet upload capabilities and many upload speeds do/might not support streaming.

My stepson has 10 UP but that was not the problem. The box itself had issues.

Archived