Chapala.com Webboard

Banks: State Dept Credit Union; Ally Bank; USAA banking

elisabeth

I know some of you bank with the SDFCU; are there any free ATMs to use Lakeside (Chapala especially). Looking on the SDFCU website, I saw locations as close to Chapala as Ixtlahuacan, and one on the Jocotepec - Chapala Libramiento - but is seems like if there are several locations in Ixtla. there should also be several in Chapala.  Any insight?

We were going to go with USAA but I have read they will stop reimbursing for ATM fees outside the US.  Ally is another bank of interest - if any of you use it, what are the fee-free ATM options?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, I can confirm USAA does reimburse international ATM fees. Also, an an institution created to serve military service members wherever they might be, you will find they are undaunted by the notion of a member who lives in Mexico.

I joined USAA in 1959 and have never felt the need for another bank in those 58 years of good service by mail, phone and now by internet anywhere in the world.

If you are eligible, go for it.  You can find the details at USAA.com

On 9/21/2017 at 4:50 PM, elisabeth said:

I know some of you bank with the SDFCU; are there any free ATMs to use Lakeside (Chapala especially). Looking on the SDFCU website, I saw locations as close to Chapala as Ixtlahuacan, and one on the Jocotepec - Chapala Libramiento - but is seems like if there are several locations in Ixtla. there should also be several in Chapala.  Any insight?

We were going to go with USAA but I have read they will stop reimbursing for ATM fees outside the US.  Ally is another bank of interest - if any of you use it, what are the fee-free ATM options?

Thanks in advance.

I use ALLY.  They reimburse ATM fees from MX

Interesting, because according to USAA they are no longer reimbursing foreign ATM fees.  Perhaps they grandfathered in existing accounts.  Although we use other USAA services, we have never banked with them.  Good to know that the fees are low, and worth considering the point that they are great to deal with and worth a few extra dollars.

Thanks all.

I too use USAA but only for US auto insurance and US condo or real estate coverage.

I know that with my Bank of America Account that if I keep enough funds in or linked to my B/A account I do not pay fees for much of anything. The trouble is that one needs to keep $250,000 linked or in his BofA account. Now there is no way I would keep more than maybe $30,000 in my B/A account.

Well guess what? when Merrill Lynch had financial problems, BofA bought them out, and if you indirectly link your ML retirement account to your bank account that counts toward the $250,000 total needed. And I just barely qualify.  Oh the average IRA per person these days is over $250,000.

So the typical working couple who happen to have their retirement account in ML would more than qualify for a lot of free services like being able to wire money from B/A or ML directly to your Mexican financial institution without a fee for that wiring.(at one time one could make up to 3 wire transfers per year for free. I think it is the same today)

Because I wire my money, and hardly ever use an ATM, I only know that three of so years ago, B/A was not charging a fee but they did not reimburse me for fees charged by intermediaries.

Archived