Chapala.com Webboard

Does anyone have a cook?

6 hours ago, tomgates said:

My only concern regarding all the frozen entree and other "home cooked" items sold around here is the conditions under which they are prepared.

This was my concern.  I'm sure they are better for you than NOB choices but I'm a little germ shy since I had a great aunt die of e coli.  It wasn't a pretty death.  My fear of street foods is lessening and I'm sure eventually I'll be able to pick up a dropped cookie, dip it in spoiled milk, and eat it but for now....

6 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Whenever there is doubt, use the microwave to heat the food & kill any possible biological hitch-hikers.

All of the home cooked food that I bought that made me ill was heated in the microwave before eating. I did a quick google to confirm that microwaving isn't a fix for tainted food. One is that the toxins already produced might be heat resistant, the other that microwaving does not heat uniformly. There are hot and cold spots. There may be other problems, but these are major.

"Cooking to temperatures above 60℃ will kill most bugs known to cause food-borne illness, but the toxins produced by them may be heat-tolerant.

If the food is already contaminated with bugs that produce toxins, microwaving might kill the toxin-producing bug but not destroy the toxins, despite the correct temperature and time combination. This can also apply to other cooking methods. Appropriate food storage is the key to minimizing such risks."

Wow!  I have enjoyed street food, home food, restaurant food and picked fruit & berries all over the world & even eaten dirt as a toddler, I suppose.  Once, I did get dysentery from contaminated water caused by a sewer line break, but lived and am about to become an octogenarian, so the odds are with you if you allow your immune system to look after you.  The fastidious are always ill, I think, and I have heard that there are studies that have established that as a valid point.

1 hour ago, RVGRINGO said:

The fastidious are always ill, I think, and I have heard that there are studies that have established that as a valid point.

So your point is that we overly fastidious become ill on tainted food and you can prove it?

I'm outta this discussion.

7 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Wow!  I have enjoyed street food, home food, restaurant food and picked fruit & berries all over the world & even eaten dirt as a toddler, I suppose.  Once, I did get dysentery from contaminated water caused by a sewer line break, but lived and am about to become an octogenarian, so the odds are with you if you allow your immune system to look after you.  The fastidious are always ill, I think, and I have heard that there are studies that have established that as a valid point.

While no one is immune from getting sick on ingested bacteria, my experience and observation leads me to agree with you. One must build up a certain amount of resistance by ingesting some not-so-good things once in awhile- if one is too fastidiously clean, the immune system never has a chance to work on a day-to-day basis, then when you do ingest something that is tainted, you get really sick.

People seem to think that street food is the most likely to make one sick, whereas my experience is the opposite- have never gotten sick from a taco stand in my 16 years in Mexico (meat is hot off the grill, they slide a clean plastic bag over the plastic plate, the person who handles the $ doesn't handle the food, no questionably washed utensils), but have gotten sick several times in supposedly "good" restaurants. I prefer places where I can see the food being prepared. Lord knows what goes on in a behind the scenes kitchen.

I would suggest that it might be more responsible to discuss the possibly tainted food with the vendors or managers at the Monday and Tuesday markets rather than besmirch all the vendors at both markets.

The one time I've gotten a bit sick recently was when I put ice in my drink at a friend's house and found out unfiltered tap water fed the ice maker.

• 4 months later...
On 9/21/2017 at 3:29 PM, TheBestSideOfTheWall said:

In my 55 years I have never cooked. I'm tarded in that area. I tried to make one of those blue boxes of Mac n cheese one time and it wasn't pretty. 

My ex husband fed me for 24 years then I turned to delivery, eating out, and frozen diet dinners. I supplemented with fast food when I felt I was becoming too healthy. 

Since I really can only manage one meal out a day here and have no frozen dinner options I was thinking of hiring someone to cook for me. 

Does anyone know how to find one, what the going rate is, and how to set up shopping with one? 

I have a housekeeper who also cooks for me.  She also cooks for a friend.  She buys the needed items, then cleans, then cooks, once a week.  She cooks 2 large dishes, enough for a week.  I pay her for all this as a housekeeper, 50 pesos per hour.  I will give you her name and phone, if you like.

On 9/22/2017 at 12:52 AM, MtnMama said:

Something else to consider a few times a week - both the Monday and Tuesday Markets have a variety of home-cooked meals in single or double servings at reasonable prices. Many can be frozen. This might be a good option for a change.

Finding someone who knows how to cook other than fairly basic Mexican food is going to be tricky. Maybe look for someone who has worked in a restaurant?

My housekeeper/cook worked in a restaurant and cooks exactly what I want her to cook for me.  She knows what she is doing and the food is excellent.  She has been doing this for me for 5 years.

There is a lady who prepares meals 5 days a week and delivers them to the consumer at 2:00PM. One order is more than an average man could manage and the order costs 50pesos. She lives in Chapala. We used to get two orders delivered twice each week (had other arrangements the other days) and they were adequate for my wife and I. Her cel phone number is331 365 9118. Unfortunately she does not speak English.

Archived