Chapala.com Webboard

Immigration issue with Mexican cruise

cookj5

THIS IS A QUESTION FOR SPENCER, but if anyone has DIRECT experience, we welcome your comments.

My wife and I are planning a Caribbean cruise with a stop in Cozumel, Mexico. We understand that the cruise company may take care of immigration for the whole ship when it stops for the day. We need to be sure that they don't give paperwork to Mexican immigration that indicates we are tourists, since we have Permanente visas for Mexico. We have heard that some have lost their Pemanente status when on a cruise like this. On the other hand, we have also heard that US citizens are not assigned tourist visas when visiting Mexico on a cruise ship.  We are having difficulty nailing down exactly how this works and how to protect our status. Losing our Permanente status would be a real headache and expensive, too.

Call the cruise line and talk to a PERSON about their policies.  Then, when on board, visit the purser to make sure they understand your visa status.  And by no means let them tell you "everything will be fine."  Demand that they take you through the steps they use to deal with immigration when INM boards the ship.

My wife and I took a cruise this year with a stop in Cozumel. At no time were we asked or checked for visas. We just carried our passports and resident card when we left the ship. 

I have been on several cruises and have never had any problems off ship. 

Generally immigration comes on board the ship right after docking and goes through all the passports that the ship has collected.  However, this is for countries that don't require you to carry a visa or no need for you to obtain a visa for their country.  If you are allowed to keep your visa when you board the ship, then you are OK without a tourist visa being issued.

• 1 month later...

We are in the same spot. We contacted Norwegian and received an email stating that visas are not issued for the stop in Cozumel. It is our plan nonetheless to leave Mexico by car and do the required paperwork at the border. Once on ship, we will see the purser. If required we will meet immigration in Cozumel and LEGALLY enter Mexico and then LEGALLY leave at the end of day. Last year we disembarked in Cozumel. The immigration officials did not understand what to do with us. It took a while and phone calls to their bosses before they took the 1/2 of the visa and let us be on our way. BTW we are Norwegian Pearl Jan 7 from new Orleans

There is no way immigration goes thru all the passports at Cozumel..I doubt that they even look at any or even a few..They come aboard to eat lunch and chit-chat..You are there for a day trip..You disembark wander around the bead and trinket and junk shops..maybe go into town and have lunch and a Mexican beer or 2 and then back on board..No need to stress and fret..best to keep it on the QT and not stir the pot..been there several times while we were RP's..Never an issue..

• 2 months later...

We did our cruise and we met the purser to be sure. No visas are issued to anyone of a ship that docks in Mexico for less than 24 hours. Visitors can leave the ship and sightsee. If someone wants to disembark permanently in a Mexican port, it is the same procedure as at an airport, visa issued, passport checked etc.

Archived