Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

The beginning of the end of my US Chase account


Recommended Posts

I lost my debit card. This wasn't the first time to do so but the first time since I moved to Mexico. No biggie. I just picked up the phone to cancel it and have them send me a new one.

But, the lovely Chase woman told me since I had recently changed my address I would have to physically come into a bank to get a new one. WTFudge!!!

I explained I had changed my address because I was renting out my US home and living for a while in Mexico. I did not want my statements to go to my renters. Apparently, since I changed addresses then ask for a new card to be sent I was flagged as a Nigerian Prince. No card without walking into a Chase bank.

They did give me the option of waiting (first she told me a month then she said three,) and then they would mail one to the new Mexico address.  I called again today and spoke with someone different and got the one month timeline.  

So, I have opened a HSBC account here and a Charles Schwab International. This "present your body" BS was my message from the banking gods to move on. Anyone else have this problem? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No. We have lived full time in MX for 19 years, 2 different states. We use Chase for all of our U.S. banking. We have lost an ATM card while living lakeside. Reported it to the proper department within Chase via a long phone call. Verified all kinds of information, including the fact that the closest branch was around 12 hours away. No problem. We received a replacement card within a week. I think it was DHL, may have been FedEx. They always think we live in New Mexico, not Mexico. We have found being patient but persistent helps. Call them back, ask for a supervisor.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, ibarra said:

No. We have lived full time in MX for 19 years, 2 different states. We use Chase for all of our U.S. banking. We have lost an ATM card while living lakeside. Reported it to the proper department within Chase via a long phone call. Verified all kinds of information, including the fact that the closest branch was around 12 hours away. No problem. We received a replacement card within a week. I think it was DHL, may have been FedEx. They always think we live in New Mexico, not Mexico. We have found being patient but persistent helps. Call them back, ask for a supervisor.

You are lucky no one has looked at the mailing address you have been using. I guess I gave them too much info when I said I was renting out my house in the States. They consider me living full time outside of the US at this point because even though I own a house in the States, I don't have a US address.  I called my old local branch and thought maybe someone in Houston would help but they referred me back to the the 1-800 number. Called and ask for a super and was told the same thing - in person or wait a month.  I'm just moving it all to Schwab. Me and my big mouth!!!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, TheBestSideOfTheWall said:

I lost my debit card. This wasn't the first time to do so but the first time since I moved to Mexico. No biggie. I just picked up the phone to cancel it and have them send me a new one.

But, the lovely Chase woman told me since I had recently changed my address I would have to physically come into a bank to get a new one. WTFudge!!!

I explained I had changed my address because I was renting out my US home and living for a while in Mexico. I did not want my statements to go to my renters. Apparently, since I changed addresses then ask for a new card to be sent I was flagged as a Nigerian Prince. No card without walking into a Chase bank.

They did give me the option of waiting (first she told me a month then she said three,) and then they would mail one to the new Mexico address.  I called again today and spoke with someone different and got the one month timeline.  

So, I have opened a HSBC account here and a Charles Schwab International. This "present your body" BS was my message from the banking gods to move on. Anyone else have this problem? 

Nearly exactly that problem! I was helping an elderly person who had the Chase account over 50 years. For some reason she could no longer login, which was why we called. They said she must go to a branch, no exception.  We opened up a USAA acct online, and adios Chase.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chase has known for 19 years that we live in MX full time. We haven't used any US addresses for that entire time. When they need to correspond via mail, it is to our Chapala post office box address.  They have many, many foreign customers living world wide. Check out their website sometime regarding international services available to their clients. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, El Bizco said:

Nearly exactly that problem! I was helping an elderly person who had the Chase account over 50 years. For some reason she could no longer login, which was why we called. They said she must go to a branch, no exception.  We opened up a USAA acct online, and adios Chase.

They are really finding new ways to rid themselves of expats. But I figure someone will always want my money. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I lost a Chase Debit Card and they said they cannot send a replacement to Mexico, so I had them send it to a friend's address who FedExed it to me. Alternatively, I suspect I could have had it mailed to Mailboxes Etc's Laredo address. Even though I do not rent a box from them, they do let you use their address for one-off items.

I also keep two accounts, each with a debit card at Chase, so that if one card is lost, eaten or stolen, I can transfer funds to the other account via computer which allows me access to the funds while awaiting a replacement card. One of the accounts is a business account and I have to remember to use that card 5x per mo or they charge me $35 for not using it!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/20/2017 at 9:08 PM, TheBestSideOfTheWall said:

I lost my debit card. This wasn't the first time to do so but the first time since I moved to Mexico. No biggie. I just picked up the phone to cancel it and have them send me a new one.

But, the lovely Chase woman told me since I had recently changed my address I would have to physically come into a bank to get a new one. WTFudge!!!

I explained I had changed my address because I was renting out my US home and living for a while in Mexico. I did not want my statements to go to my renters. Apparently, since I changed addresses then ask for a new card to be sent I was flagged as a Nigerian Prince. No card without walking into a Chase bank.

They did give me the option of waiting (first she told me a month then she said three,) and then they would mail one to the new Mexico address.  I called again today and spoke with someone different and got the one month timeline.  

So, I have opened a HSBC account here and a Charles Schwab International. This "present your body" BS was my message from the banking gods to move on. Anyone else have this problem? 

I had the same problem with Wells Fargo.  My card quit working.  They would not overnight to MX, but would overnight to a WF branch.  They did mail me a new card but it took about 3 weeks to get it.

Having at least 2 bank accounts is an absolute necessity here.

Also have a months supply of cash around

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...