Chapala.com Webboard

On Demand Hot Water Heater

After 2 years of overwhelming frustration, we are ready to ditch our solar hot water system for our home and return to an "on demand"/ "al paso" system.  The one we had before was terrific but I don't recall exactly the brand nor size.  I think it was 16 liters/minute.

Has anyone purchased and installed one recently and if so, would you share your experiences?  We're hoping to make this change in the next week or so.  I'm so tired of constantly changing hot/warm/cold water temperatures in the shower and NEVER enough hot water to fill a bath tub.  Looking forward to returning to the beauty of a constant source of truly hot water.

Thanks, in advance, for sharing your recent experiences.

Valerie :)

I've heard that the Bosch is the best tankless.  We have a Calorex w/ a small tank and a pilot.  The small tank provides instant hot water and fires the heater which is able to keep up with the demand and provides constant temp.   We use it as a backup to our Solar heater.  Normally our Solar heater meets the need.  We actually have two, one for the "house" and one for the master bath.

That is strange. It sounds like the folks who installed same perhaps put in a system that was too small and perhaps did not insolate the hot water pipes between the source and your bathroom. My solar system also has a backup instant on gas hot water heater that would come on were the hot  water too cool. The systems are hooked up in parallel. After the first year I turned the gas back up system off and there were only a few days each year that for ideal temperatures I should have turned the gas backup system back on. But so far I haven't bothered.

In your case why not continue to partially heat the water with solar and feed that kind of hot water into the instant on gas system, that would come instantly on to heat the water even more should the need arise. That way you would use less gas.

I agree that the solar system is either too small, poorly installed/designed, or maybe even just very dirty. 

We loved ours; a 160L pressure system capable solar tank with heat tubes. Plumbing was insulated and the back-up on-demand hot water heater was  not needed.  It served the main house, and a casita whenever it was occupied by visitors. 

I suggest that you investigate the reasons for your dissatisfaction, before making any change.  It may be a simple fix, or a second solar unit to increase capacity.

Johanson and RVGRINGO, I think you're both quite correct!  We had 2 companies out of GDL and one local company, Green Home, located on the Carretera just West of Juarez in Ajijic.  The bids were all similar price and equipment so we decided to support our local company.  Well....

Although each company took the time to calculate the assumed water usage for 2 adults, including our dishwasher, washing machine and bath tub, they all determined the size of the tank needed to give us consistent hot water.  They even measured the liters required to fill the bath tub.  But, things didn't go as planned.  From the very beginning, we had problems with inconsistent hot/mild/cold water, lack of pressure (although we have a pressure system and pumps), and the Technico was here for days, weeks, months until we hit one year.  At that point, the owner/manager of the store told us they would no longer service the unit and we would need to pay the Technico directly.  I did call one of the GDL companies to come take a look at the system after one year and he looked at it and said it's inferior and I need a new/different one.  (One, of course, he was happy to sell me.)  I showed him his quote from the previous year and he just smiled.  So, hard to know.

Although I have only been up on the roof once to look at it, my husband has been up there many times with the Technico.  There is a secondary "on demand" hot water heater that is supposed to take up any slack from the solar hot water system if there hasn't been enough sun.  After 2 years of frustration, I've had it.

So, although we LOVE our E-SUN solar panels for electricity, I'm done with trying to get this unit or any other solar unit for house water to work.  I am pretty sure the unit we had before this situation was 16 liters/minute and can't remember the manufacturer.  I appreciate your suggestions and input and would like to know if the technology has progressed to a greater number of liters/minute and if anyone feels a certain brand is better than the other.

REALLY looking forward to consistent, HOT water and a full bath tub that doesn't take 25 minutes to fill.

Many thanks!

So sorry to hear your experiences. Others too, have had problems like yours. I remember reading a few years back on this forum that certain brands of instant on hot water units only worked when the hot water was on full blast, but that if you slowed the flow down so the water wouldn't be as hot or you simply wanted less volume, that this one or two brands of instant on gas fired hot water heaters simply stopped heating the water.

I understand your frustration, and I bet if you had the time or patience that you could eventually figure it out. But there comes a time with all of us where we don't want to experiment any more and are more than willing to go to the more expensive to operate system, than to continue to experiment around.

I truly wish you the best in what ever you try.

Shopping by price quotes, without knowing exactly what you really needed & what specifications would satisfy that need, were probably the reason you may have been taken advantage of.  There are solar heaters for gravity systems, and more expensive ones for pressurized systems. There are wet tube types and heat tube types with copper heat exchangers, etc., etc.  

A 160 L, or larger, Sharp solar water heater for a pressurized system should be sufficient & able to provide for a couple of cloudy days without the need to use a gas back-up. 

Find a reputable dealer, and add to what you already have.  It can be quite nice to be free of using a gas heater.

Great article, just to add / mention:

Most of these are not avail in MX, and are priced higher than MX models.  

The electric ones also draw more power than many MX homes have available....

Best ones in MX currently in our experience are either Bosch, or the new redesigned Kruger units, which now work very well with and as an automatic backup to solar hot water, and are very well priced.    Fast, continuous, & seamless (good performance with or without sun)  hot water, with the minimum of gas use.    And isn't that really the goal?   ;-)

Do not recommend the Cal o Rex, we have had nothing but trouble with ours, had a couple of people over to fix it, noisy as can be and we have to light it before use or it does not get hot, if left on for a long time.

Had a friend with the same heater and his would drain his gas tank, he had I don't know how many people out to work on it, and he ended getting a different kind and works fine now.

Many thanks for all of your comments and experiences.  Will definitely look at the Kruger 16 liter/minute unit and MAYBE the solar hot water system provided by Ron Magen.  I talked with him at length and he assures me they have a great system now that works seamlessly with the Kruger unit.

• 2 years later...

I installed a CalORex de paso a few months ago, and it works like a charm. Available locally, and everyone seems to know how to fix it... as opposed to a number of brands that no one knows how to fix beyond replacing the thermostat.

• Like 1

We installed a Kruger recently, they also provide service.  Works great thus far.

Arturo will get one from GDL for you and install at a great price.  333-661-2193.  The larger top of the line digital unit cost me  7000 pesos installed.  You have to have power accessible at your hot water heater for it.  There are Kruger models that use an ignition battery I believe.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

I installed a CalORex de paso a few months ago, and it works like a charm. Available locally, and everyone seems to know how to fix it... as opposed to a number of brands that no one knows how to fix beyond replacing the thermostat.

Mine works well, as long as the "D" cell is working well. Learned my lesson, always keep a spare around and check for the corrosion outside on the battery contacts.

• Like 1

I have a Cinsa On Demand bought from Amutio. It takes TWO "D" batteries and as soon as I put them in, I buy two more. This model works with lower pressure but I always have hot water on demand.

I did not go digging through my walls when I renovated BUT, I highly suspect that I have an open loop since the hot water tries to come on when I flush the toilet. It was a bit disconcerting but now I just shut off (flip the switch) the heater (which is in my bathroom and vented) when not looking for hot water. I did have a check valve installed but then the heater wouldn't work properly at all. Sigh. I distinctly recall two water lines coming out of the tinaco in San Miguel. One went to the hot water heater and from there to the hot water lines. The other did the cold water loop. Here I have only one line coming from the tinaco. Can anyone else comment on this???

Quirks, all houses have 'em.

13 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I distinctly recall two water lines coming out of the tinaco in San Miguel. One went to the hot water heater and from there to the hot water lines. The other did the cold water loop. Here I have only one line coming from the tinaco.

Both can be valid ways of doing it; one line that divides down below into cold and hot feeds is simpler and a bit more common, or, two separate ones to perhaps provide a bit more flow / volume to each side (hot and cold), especially if the tinaco is not especially high, or if the lines are of a smaller diameter.

• Thanks 1

So sorry your solay hot water does not work well. Ours was installed maybe 8 years ago and the water is so hot you barely need any hot water to take a shower.  Our on demand is not even turned on so we fill our gas tank every year or so.  I would have a reputable service guy check it out.

57 minutes ago, Alpha1 said:

Mine works well, as long as the "D" cell is working well. Learned my lesson, always keep a spare around and check for the corrosion outside on the battery contacts.

Mine is a COXDP-06, and takes one AA battery, of which I always have spares for various things. This makes me very happy. Simply unscrew the red ignition button and stick in a new AA. The simplicity of this whole getup is impressive. http://www.calorex.com.mx/calentadores/calorex/de-paso/de-paso-gen-2/calorex-coxdp-06-gen-2

• Like 1

I had my solar hot water system installed maybe 13 years ago. And I haven't ever turned the gas on to the instant on hot water heater. Yes, a few days per year the water isn't quite as warm as I would have liked when taking my frequent showers. But so far I have been able to resist going out and turning on the instant on hot water system.  Sure I would find it more comfortable on those few days per year when the water isn't quite hot enough, I would like it warmed. But I can manage.  

:) 

• Thanks 1

I have a Bosch that I bought at Home Depot several years ago and have never had an issue. The capacity is 12 liters/per minute and that is sufficient to allow 2 people to shower at the same time (yes, in separate showers😊) The only maintenance required so far in changing batteries.