Chapala.com Webboard

New Shaw Direct Receiver

johanson

I understand that on can buy new Shaw Direct receivers in Mexico.  Check out the CP Electronics web site.  www.cp-electronics.com They are located in Guadalajara.  Or look on the right hand side of this web page and move down to the SATELLITES/T.V .and go to one of the two Satellite Dealers listed there.

They are much more expensive down there than they are here up north, of course.

Edit: when visiting the CP-Electronics web page, link to Star Choice, the original name for Shaw Direct.

21 minutes ago, johanson said:

I understand that on can buy new Shaw Direct receivers in Mexico.  Check out the CP Electronics web site.  www.cp-electronics.com They are located in Guadalajara.  Or look on the right hand side of this web page and move down to the SATELLITES/T.V .and go to one of the two Satellite Dealers listed there.

They are much more expensive down there than they are here up north, of course.

Edit: when visiting the CP-Electronics web page, link to Star Choice, the original name for Shaw Direct.

I forgot about them. I did buy a 630 from them after mine got fried by lightening. So much more expensive.

Thanks for all the info, y'all! I've been addicted to Shaw Direct for many years (I'm a prisoner of PBS, as they say!) (not to mention CNN so I won't!) I have been concerned about how I get a new receiver! I know I should modernize and view programs online, but I like the old way and a regular TV screen across from the sofa! So, I will pursue this! Would someone clue me in on how expensive this is here?

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 12:03 PM, lumieretoo said:

Thanks for the great link. I ordered an 800 Shaw receiver Thursday evening from Montreal, QC. and guess what happened. I got a package this Monday afternoon from Canada Post. I then unpacked it and connected same to the quad LNB connected to my smaller 60 E elliptical dish, I then connected a TV via an HDMI cable they provided, to the receiver. Once I had a signal, I phoned up a Shaw call center gave them the serial number my receiver showed on my TV and they activated the receiver.  Two hours later after a programing update was made I had TV via the Shaw Direct 800 receiver

Now I'm waiting for the schedule and time to upload. It's uploaded. :)

• Confused 1

Pete, I am not at sure but Best Buy & Amazon.ca seem to be supplying the 75e kit with a LNB"F"? If I'm following your thread Pete I will not gain any benefit from this upgraded LNBF? So does anyone have any experience with the new PVR830 on the existing Dual LNB before I buy my 1st PVR? Tks

It will work just fine. The new LNB will only help in and near Canada to pick up those channels sent out on one of the three satellites receivable in Canada.  Only two of the three satellites have a signal footprint that will reach Mexico and parts of if not all of Central America.

Now there is some confusion about whether Shaw Direct will demand that all of their customers have the new LNB. The latest rumors are that it doesn't matter so why bother getting a new LNB for your Mexican setup because you won't get the added benefits from the third satellite that far south.

If you are up north and do not already have a new LNB, you can order on from www.kusat.com located in Quebec, and they will sell you a

Shaw Direct xKu LNBF for a Quad 60 satellite dish for $69.00 Canadian or a

Shaw Direct xKu LNBF for a Quad 75 satellite dish for $79.00 Canadian.  The larger Quad 75 dish is the one used in Mexico

Why is the LNBF for the 75E dish more expensive than the one for the smaller 60 dish?  I have one each in front of me. The Quad LNBF for the larger 75E dish is larger and the LNBs pointed at each satellite are therefore farther apart. So according to the techies at Shaw Direct you will not be happy using a 60E LNBF on the larger dish. Because the smaller LNBF will not be able to focus well on both of the satellites that are viewable in Mexico very well.

Again I am only telling you what I have seen up north or what the folks at Shaw Direct told me. I hope what I am saying proves to be right. It hasn't always been. I one time I quoted a Techie at Shaw Direct who told me you had to have the new LNB by June 2017 or you will loose all of your signals.  (I was very wrong)

This is al very interesting but a bit confusing. I hope when the time comes that we need different Shaw equipment someone will post it in simple terms for simple people like me.

The 600 and 800 series are technically equipped to receive the latest channels, during and after the migration to the newest satellite. Keeping a 600 or 605 or 630 box will be fine; there is nothing in the 800 series that we need here. However, in Mexico, we will never get any transmissions from the new satellite.

The 500 and earlier series are promised to become extinct. How long that will take, we do not know.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

The 600 and 800 series are technically equipped to receive the latest channels, during and after the migration to the newest satellite. Keeping a 600 or 605 or 630 box will be fine; there is nothing in the 800 series that we need here. However, in Mexico, we will never get any transmissions from the new satellite.

The 500 and earlier series are promised to become extinct. How long that will take, we do not know.

Thanks.

• 2 years later...