Chapala.com Webboard

New Shaw Direct Receiver

johanson

Help. I just learned that my SHAW DIRECT Satellite Dealer since year 2000 has retired with no forwarding address, Does anyone know a Satellite Dealer in the greater Vancouver area who might be able to help me purchase a new Shaw receiver, one that works with the new Mpeg 4 signals

I KNOW, that the moderators will move this post to another topic area, but I am hoping they will leave it here for a little while to get the Maximum exposure. I'm in Seattle right now and will immediately drive up north if I can find a place that might be able to sell me one or more new Shaw Receiver.

I have tried phoning several Best Buys stores up north, and so far not any have them in stock. Sure they could order them, No they will not ship it over the border etc.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Please PM me or post a suggestion

Thanks in advance. The second I get a source and can get one or more, I can leave what is now cold Seattle and return to Paradise.

I am in Seattle and would like to buy new receivers. A new 600 would be OK but not a 630. However I understand that all new receivers available these days are the 800 series. And an 800 model would be great but not the 830 dual receiver HDPV830

But thanks for the suggestion.

I have one, but I don't want to drive that far to the summer cottage. They would have it leave it on the porch and who knows what might happen. That was the nice thing about my satellite Dealer in Duncan, BC on Vancouver Island. I could get equipment there and then either drive further North,  or in this case back to Seattle

Edit: Yes Natasha, that is another alternative. I shall phone several contacts I know there to see what they might recommend. These contacts are connected with the MexConnect Web board, where I am also involved.

You wont believe it but their # is 250-419-7670 and I was talking to them about the time you discovered the results on line. And yes they do. And I can put it on 24 hour hold and head north. And if there is no better option I will head up north via boat to Victoria and pick one or it up.

I'm hoping though that I could match up with a Satellite dealer, who could help me with other issues as well.

Thank you very much PupPaws for checking for me. I greatly appreciate your efforts.

Basically I have had dual receivers and almost never used the second one to record a second program while watching another. The problem is that the dual receiver costs a lot more than the single receiver and why pay for the second receiver if you are never going to use the recording capacity. 

Hooking it up to use only one receiver is simple; just connect the unit as if it were a single receiver. That is what I eventually did with my 530 model.

• Thanks 1

So, when I get a new receiver, do I need the company I originally bought the system from here to install it? Is it plug and play or is there a code to let Shaw Direct know it's my account? Somehow... Maybe a secret handshake. Or a decoder ring.

You have to let Shaw know that you have a new receiver and give them that receiver's unique serial # . And then Shaw will send a code to your receiver activating it to the plan you have, only allowing you to view those channels you are paying for. Oh, and of course, to have an account, you must have a Canadian address. And they assume that you are in Canada when you activate your receiver. (so if you are not in Canada, do not tell them where you are)

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 12:03 PM, lumieretoo said:

Thanks for the great link. I was able to go on line and order all the new equipment needed for the new Mpeg 4 satellite signals being sent out by Shaw Direct.. I was able to get the new Quad LNB to mount on my satellite dish and a new 800 Mpeg 4 receiver (the 600 model numbers work as well). Do I need the new LNB?  Shaw says I do; other techs suggest that I may not if I am not interested in getting the channels broadcast on the Anik G-1 which doesn't reach you all in Mexico anyway. The new receiver cost $145 dollars Canadian and the new Quad 75E LNB, $79. 

They will ship the products to either my US or Canadian address, no problems either way.

Thanks for the link lumieretoo

1 hour ago, johanson said:

Thanks for the great link. I was able to go on line and order all the new equipment needed for the new Mpeg 4 satellite signals being sent out by Shaw Direct.. I was able to get the new Quad LNB to mount on my satellite dish and a new 800 Mpeg 4 receiver (the 600 model numbers work as well). Do I need the new LNB?  Shaw says I do; other techs suggest that I may not if I am not interested in getting the channels broadcast on the Anik G-1 which doesn't reach you all in Mexico anyway. The new receiver cost $145 dollars Canadian and the new Quad 75E LNB, $79. 

They will ship the products to either my US or Canadian address, no problems either way.

Thanks for the link lumieretoo

Another recommendation for KUSAT. I have had them ship several things to my U.S. address without any problems. Great service and they have sales on certain equipment from time to time. One thing to be aware of is that if you have equipment shipped to the U.S. import taxes will be added. I don't remember how much that was but do sort of remember that it was fairly reasonable. Seems like you might avoid that added charge by having things shipped to a Canadian address but since I haven't done that I don't know for sure.

Yes I understand that I may have to pay import tax. What I don't understand is it was sent by Canadian mail to my US address. They did not charge me any PST or GST, (No Canadian Sales tax)  How do they bill me? I paid for the equipment with a Visa card, And I was charged a Misc fee of $30 which I thought was for Canadian postage. I am happy to pay any import or local sales taxes. Do they send it COD?  Not a problem, there is always someone at the front desk of the Condo.

I sure hope the $30 dollars was both postage and estimated sales tax

I would appreciate any tips.

11 hours ago, johanson said:

Yes I understand that I may have to pay import tax. What I don't understand is it was sent by Canadian mail to my US address. They did not charge me any PST or GST, (No Canadian Sales tax)  How do they bill me? I paid for the equipment with a Visa card, And I was charged a Misc fee of $30 which I thought was for Canadian postage. I am happy to pay any import or local sales taxes. Do they send it COD?  Not a problem, there is always someone at the front desk of the Condo.

I sure hope the $30 dollars was both postage and estimated sales tax

I would appreciate any tips.

I am not charged import fees, no Canadian tax, only shipping.    Pay with my VISA CARD.  Email Raj for more info.     raj@kusat.com

So am I correct in saying that the new 800 is replacing the 600 and the new 830 is replacing the 630? I have heard nothing but bad things about the 630's.

If you get an 800 do you have to have a different dish and the 4 foot that I have now, or LMB?

1 hour ago, hensley said:

So am I correct in saying that the new 800 is replacing the 600 and the new 830 is replacing the 630? I have heard nothing but bad things about the 630's.

If you get an 800 do you have to have a different dish and the 4 foot that I have now, or LMB?

Here is a change for you then. I have had my 630 for 4 years and it is an excellent receiver.

Hensley when I tried ordering a 600 a few weeks ago, I learned that now the new receiver that they are selling is the 800 for $145 Canadian instead of the 600 series. And now there is no longer a 630. Now they are selling the 830HDPVR for $299 Canadian. (Remember both the 600 and the 630 work great and can and do pick up the new Mpeg-4 signal)

Now in Canada to get all of the new Channels we need a new LNB the receiver thingy in front of the Dish.  However in Mexico the new channels which are showing up on the new bird (Anik G-1) are not viewable, the signals from that bird don't reach that far south.

Now when I checked with Shaw, they told me that I did not yet have the new LNB and that I needed it to receive the new channels which are viewable in Canada and some of the US but not in Mexico. Now they tell you that you have to get a new LNB but they are saying that assuming you are in Canada, what we do not know is whether if you do not get the new LNB that you will or will not be cut off.

Somehow they knew I did not have the new LNB

Do I really need one for my system if it were in Mexico?  Maybe not.. I am getting the  new LNB for $79 Canadian, but will not bother to install it until it is needed. And just maybe it is not needed. But then again, maybe it is

Now remember that there are two new LNBs one is for the smaller 60E satellite dish for I believe $69 or $74 Canadian.

In Mexico, if you are using the Shaw Direct (or Star Choice) satellite dish, you are using the larger 75E which requires the LNB made for the 75E not the one made for the smaller 60E satellite dish, The 60E will kind of sort of work but not well, I am told by the Shaw Direct technicians

I hope the information I am giving you is correct. But I can not guarantee it. Only time will tell.

Lots of good information here. I dread that one day my Shaw will no longer give me the channels I want. I have a HD PVR 630 which I use all the time. My DSR 505 died last year and can't be repaired here. When I have guests they use a DSR 317. Who know how long my two receivers will work?

I would like to buy a 830 but I don't know how I can. I have a Canadian address but I never leave Mexico.